AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC Autocal Software V12 calibration for 2019 RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9

If you read my posts, you'll see that it is recommended to use V11 if you can.

So he can do anything he wants with V11, color with the i1pro2, gamma with the Spyder 5, whatever.

It's only with V12 that I'm saying that running a color only with the i1pro2 can produce results inferior to what can be obtained with V11. The issue with V12 might not be only with the Spyder X.

At least that's what I observe here.
Sure, I provided the suggestion based on your post.

Manni

I have always had a dilemma on this: since grey scale is anyway impacted by color calibration, which one do you recommend to autocalibrate first, gamma or color?
Also, is gamma autocalibration performed separately on the three primary colors? I think so and this can have an implication on the answer to the above question.
In theory, it shouldn't make any difference which one you do first. In practice, I think color first would be better, but I haven't confirmed this and that's one of the things I'd like to rule out in my upcoming V11/V12 comparison.

Yes, gamma autocal is performed separately on the three primary colors, as can be seen during the autocal process. Otherwise, the accuracy of the spyder on white/grey would be an issue and it doesn't seem to be the case.

Manni

Sure, I provided the suggestion based on your post.
In that case your suggestion doesn't make sense.

In that case your suggestion doesn't make sense.
Why? jj-34 said:
I can do a color autocal with my I1pro2
And you responded:
there might be some issues with the i1pro2 in V12 as well
That's why I replied saying that he can use V11, supporting your suggestion. I know that it seems obvious to you, but I thought that he may have not considered that option. That's all.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:22:05 AM by CyberPaul »

In theory, it shouldn't make any difference which one you do first. In practice, I think color first would be better, but I haven't confirmed this and that's one of the things I'd like to rule out in my upcoming V11/V12 comparison.

Yes, gamma autocal is performed separately on the three primary colors, as can be seen during the autocal process. Otherwise, the accuracy of the spyder on white/grey would be an issue and it doesn't seem to be the case.
So, even though spyderx is inaccurate on white, is it accurate enough on R/G/B?

Manni

So, even though spyderx is inaccurate on white, is it accurate enough on R/G/B?
For the last time, I am not commenting on the Spyder X and V12 until I have done more tests.

It is clearly the case with previous versions and yes the spyder can be accurate on R/G/B separately on gamma because it's about relative measurements on each color, not about color balance. If gamma is set accurately with the spyder, the i1pro should get the color balance correct when setting white.

@Everyone

I don't have the time to maintain this thread and deal with all the unnecessary chatter.

I am locking it until I get a version of Calman that support the Spyder X or a solution is provided to limit the chatter.

Manni

A solution has been found, so we are back in business :)

I still haven't managed to get a Calman beta from Spectracal with Spyder X support, so until this happens and we can provide more data, please refrain from asking about V12 and Spyder X support.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:49:23 PM by Manni »

Manni

I ran a few color autocal with my i1pro2 yesterday and I can confirm two things:

1) I checked the ranges for color autocal, and they are the same as before: 0 to -3, -4 to -7, -8 to -11, -12 to -15. However, there is a significant and increasing difference in the RGB balance as you close the iris down until the next range starts, so I would advise to calibrate the iris setting that you actually use in each range for maximum accuracy. For example, I calibrated at 0, -5 and -9 to calibrate the three settings that I am most likely to use in HDR.

2) The i1pro2 didn't need to be initialized after each autocal in the same session, which is great news. So I only put it on its tile for the first calibration (it takes a little while to detect and init), and after that every time I selected it, it just went to the meter positioning screen right away. This was with the Calman 2009 driver in Windows 10 x64 Pro Build 1909.

bobof

1) I checked the ranges for color autocal, and they are the same as before: 0 to -3, -4 to -7, -8 to -11, -12 to -15. However, there is a significant and increasing difference in the RGB balance as you close the iris down until the next range starts, so I would advise to calibrate the iris setting that you actually use in each range for maximum accuracy.
Out of interest - in what direction?  Does it get yellower by any chance?

Manni

Out of interest - in what direction?  Does it get yellower by any chance?
The difference was on red, but I can't remember if it was deficient or in excess. I think it was in excess, but I could be wrong.
It's easy enough to check: do a color autocal at the beg of a range (say 0, then close down the manual iris and see how it changes. That's what I did to identify the ranges (after restoring my init file).

I ran a few color autocal with my i1pro2 yesterday and I can confirm two things:

1) I checked the ranges for color autocal, and they are the same as before: 0 to -3, -4 to -7, -8 to -11, -12 to -15. However, there is a significant and increasing difference in the RGB balance as you close the iris down until the next range starts
I noticed the same issue; so much so that I was wondering if JVC changed the range boundaries, until I switched to High Lamp which had not been Autocal-ed before.

ENT

I ran a few color autocal with my i1pro2 yesterday and I can confirm two things:

1) I checked the ranges for color autocal, and they are the same as before: 0 to -3, -4 to -7, -8 to -11, -12 to -15. However, there is a significant and increasing difference in the RGB balance as you close the iris down until the next range starts, so I would advise to calibrate the iris setting that you actually use in each range for maximum accuracy. For example, I calibrated at 0, -5 and -9 to calibrate the three settings that I am most likely to use in HDR.
Hi Manni, could you clarify please? What means "they are the same as before"? Before to autocal? Means autocal not changed color gamut? Mean not changed white point? Means for example that in the first range 0 to -3 for a total of four autocal operation and nothing (what?)  changed but the RGB change was significant? Which has been your methodology for check and the target?

Manni

Hi Manni, could you clarify please? What means "they are the same as before"? Before to autocal? Means autocal not changed color gamut? Mean not changed white point? Means for example that in the first range 0 to -3 for a total of four autocal operation and nothing (what?)  changed but the RGB change was significant? Which has been your methodology for check and the target?
Hi Ent,
No, this simply means that the ranges haven't changed with Autocal V12. They are the same as they have always been (the boundaries are at -4, -8 and -12). The calibration itself went perfectly well and as expected, except that the most accurate point is the iris setting selected within that range.

So for example, the first range is 0 to -3. Any iris setting you calibrate within that range will replace the previous color calibration for that range (same lamp/filter mode). However, the actual iris setting selected during the calibration will have a lower dE than the others in the range. So if I calibrate 0, -1 will still be okay but slightly worse RGB balance, -2 will still be okay but slightly worse RGB balance, -3 will still be okay but even worse RGB balance, and -4 (different range) will be uncalibrated.

This is explained in the basic section, there were just some questions recently about whether the ranges had changed in V12 or for the new models, and they haven't, so I was only confirming that they were the same, but that for maximum accuracy it was better to use in each range the iris setting that you are actually using, if there is one.

This is why I calibrate at 0, -5 and -9 for HDR, because these are the iris settings I actually use, rather than 0, -4, -8 which would calibrate the same ranges but would be less accurate at -5 and -9, which are the settings I'm interested in. I don't calibrate below -9 because I'll never use an iris setting below -9 in HDR, so I don't bother doing the last range (-12 to -15) in that mode.

Makes sense?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:43:43 PM by Manni »

Hi everyone, I am new to calibration and thanks a lot for all your posts!

I purchased an RS3000 from Mike earlier this year and just started calibrating recently. After playing with calibration for a while, I found the following problem:

I am using Nature and low lamp mode for my SDR viewing. I used spyder X with Autocal to calibrate the gamma. Then I used xrite i1 and HCFR to check the picture. It showed perfect gamma, perfect gray scale and perfect color saturation sweep. However, when I change the lamp to high, w/o changing anything else, I can see a lot green push in the gray scale.  After adjusting the color temp to get an almost perfect gray scale, the color saturation sweep still shows that the red is under-saturated.

So, my question is: is it normal that the JVC's high lamp mode has a green push and lacks red comparing to low lamp mode? Am I supposed to fix this by just pushing the red saturation? I could see this green push and under saturation with my naked eye even before I had a color meter. The color meter confirmed my observation.

I also just started to use madVR recently, it's gorgeous and, imho, better than JVC's DTM. However, I also found a problem with madVR. I noticed some color noise in some pictures with madVR, which is not there when I using UB820 or OPPO. I attached a picture. It looks like ringing artifact.
Is there any setting in madVR that can reduce this kind of artifact? I tried different settings in the upscaling, but nothing worked even with the softest setting. The only setting reduced the artifact is Random Noise Reduction, which smeared details as well.

Thank you in advance for any help!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:53:53 PM by jueliang »

Manni

Hi there,

Welcome and congratulations on your new PJ :)

Regarding your first question, yes it is normal as if you change the lamp setting or the filter setting you have to run a new gamma calibration (unless you select "apply to all" during calibration, which is less accurate but applies a single calibration to all the lamp/filter combination tables). You also need to run a color calibration for each iris settings that you use if they are in a different range (ranges change at -12, -8 and -4), and this is for each lamp/filter mode combination.

Please read first two posts of the thread and the whole of the basic section, everything is explained.

Feel free to post again once you have read the above as well as any relevant link in the second post.

Regarding your question about madVR, this is off topic here (although many of us are madVR fans). Please post your question in a madVR support thread, for example on Doom9, or if it's specific to the experimental HDR tonemapping for projectors, in the thread in which this is discussed and where the test versions are posted (make sure you use the latest version, at the moment 112b).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:09:08 PM by Manni »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal