AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS1000 / 2000 Anticipation Thread

Re: JVC RS1000 / 2000 Anticipation Thread
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
OK Mr. Owner's thread starter - no slacking !  ::)

I need a photo of it first! Gotta keep with tradition. All in good time. Just checked my tracking info again and it's now in UPS's hands. Should be here sometime tomorrow afternoon!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:52:45 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
As Craig has created a separate thread for the rs3000, may I suggest that we create a separate thread for the rs2000 and rs1000 as well? There is arguably as much difference between the rs1000 and the rs2000 (P3 filter, twice the contrast) as there is between the rs2000 and rs3000 (THX, eshift, lens).

So maybe Dylan could start the rs2000 thread and a happy rs1000 owner could start the rs1000 thread?

Of course if you guys think it's better to keep them together, that's fine.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
Works for me. Although I figured the 1000 & 2000 had more in common than either did with the 3000. I'm good either way.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
I think the post count here on this relatively new forum is low enough where combining the two projectors in one thread should be fine. I don't think the thread will move fast enough to cause any issues discussing both models in one thread.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
My concern wasn't about traffic, it was about ambiguity, when people post about features/specs that don't apply to other models.

The main difference is the filter, and people asking "why can't I do this" or "I can't find the option" or "it doesn't work".

But if you prefer to keep both models together, I certainly don't mind. You're the one who will be managing the thread :)

Also I was thinking that your review thread could be the owner's thread (if you reserve enough posts at the start), as it would probably make sense to combine both instead of having questions/answers scattered in two threads.

Anyway, you decide what works best for you :)

Regarding the post count, let's see how this goes...

« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
I don't think it's going to be an issue here on this forum at the moment. Most of the members here are veteran projector users and should know that if someone mentions the color filter, they're referencing the RS2000. That really is the biggest differentiating physical factor between these two units. It's also worth pointing out that the mid-tier model has always had this filter difference. I don't think there will be much ambiguity in the forums here.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
This thread has already hit 20 pages (290 posts)!  ;) ::)    8)

If you ask people to indicate the projector they are referring to then there shouldn't be much a a problem

« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/RgugZzB.jpg

It has arrived! I will do my best to start an owners thread tonight or tomorrow. I'm stuck working tonight and don't have a ton of time on my hands.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
A few first thoughts. JVC seems to have stepped every aspect of this projector up from previous years. The packaging is a lot nicer. The cardboard is a lot more sturdy/rigid and the styrofoam, while still hard, has a bit more give to it to protect the projector more. The chassis is huge but everyone knows this already. The projector is definitely louder in high lamp mode than previous years, but low lamp is roughly the same. I will try and do an objective measurement with my dB meter. My dynamic iris is silent. But the programming for it is definitely a lot more aggressive. Unfortunately there is a ton of visible gamma shift and a lot of clipped whites. It reminds me a lot of the dynamic iris I saw on the Planar PD8150. The iris itself is practically invisible with no pumping that I've seen so far, but the gamma compensation and dynamic multiplier must be higher because of the clipped whites and gamma shift  I'm seeing. I really wish JVC could simply port over the dynamic contrast software they used on the eshift models. IMO, it was pretty freaking good already so I'm not entirely sure why they made such drastic changes.

Sync times are MUCH faster. I counted in my head and it takes 8-9 seconds for it to lock onto a signal and display an image. So this should help those who switch between sources/resolutions/frame rates often. The only other negative thing I have to say is that my particular unit does not have good convergence at all. Actually it's awful:

https://i.imgur.com/sHrK4bu.jpg

I can correct this with the built in convergence control, but this is pretty bad and I'm surprised JVC let this leave the factory like this. I don't have the RS2000 in my light controlled theater yet (I'm just projecting it on a white wall at work at the moment) but I'm pretty sure already that this particular unit is drastically better with lens streaking, but I will wait to confirm this later when I take it home.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:34:30 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
After an hour long warm up the convergence is getting better. I only have to adjust one whole vertical pixel for red now. So it seems these units may have a longer warm up period than the eshifters. Its reminiscent of Sony 4K models a couple years ago.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
I hope my previous posts don't come off too negative. I haven't even spent time with it in my actual theater and I can tell already this projector is a nice step up over the eshifters. The only gripe I think I'm gonna have is with the dynamic iris, but that is hopefully something they can fix with a firmware update. Honestly, from what I've seen so far, this may be the last projector I buy with the intention to keep for a long time. If they can get the DI working close to the same as the eshifters this projector will be absolutely amazing.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #296 on: February 08, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I hope my previous posts don't come off too negative. I haven't even spent time with it in my actual theater and I can tell already this projector is a nice step up over the eshifters. The only gripe I think I'm gonna have is with the dynamic iris, but that is hopefully something they can fix with a firmware update. Honestly, from what I've seen so far, this may be the last projector I buy with the intention to keep for a long time. If they can get the DI working close to the same as the eshifters this projector will be absolutely amazing.

What setting are you using with the dynamic iris ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Manni

« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
Any chance we could close this thread and keep the discussion in the owners' thread(s) so that all the info/discussion is in the same place?

« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Any chance we could close this thread and keep the discussion in the owners' thread(s) so that all the info/discussion is in the same place?
Hello nice folks of this thread - I do have an often asked question about which JVC model to chose, let me give you some background.  I would not mind "consulting" with someone if need be.  I have been learning about calibration the past year, I did follow Manni's guidelines on one of my JVC models a couple of years back, and talk a lot with Ted in Greece (he is not a fan of projectors, so it's best I talk the people who really seem to be passionate about them).

Background I think is essential to the feedback and I am very grateful for any feedback.  Please be positive, there is a nice atmosphere to this forum and as we have seen things can change for the worst.  I have also purchased from AVS 3 different JVC models from Mike G. over the past 6 years. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*This is going to sound like a get to know me, but it's just for more accurate responses.  Please understand that.

I am open to buying a RS540, RS1000 or 2000

In my current living room setup (I only watch movies at night from a Blu-ray disc or UHD disc), I have had an RS420 and a RS520.  Despite the many short comings of the room, I did notice a much sharper image from the 520 over the 420 projecting...throw distance 10'8" onto a 100" Stewart Cima Neve.  However I felt that the contrast on the RS420 was excellent.

Despite being 37 years old, I am huge classic movie fan from the 1940s, 50s, 60s and I seldom watch newer movies - many of my Blu-ray movies are film-noirs from that era.  I do own about 40 4K UHDs, and I love learning and experimenting with calibration.  I have Lightspace HTL and CalMan Home Enthusiast and I have an X-rite iDisplay Pro and I am hoping to buy iDisplay Pro 2 in the near future - there is something about the calibration that I find really interesting and rewarding … I often find myself critiquing picture quality than actually enjoying the film - that is me.  I also own a eeColorBox for 3D LUTs (just to learn more about that aspect).  I am a beginner calibrator. 

Talking about Pros vs Cons:
One "pro" for the RS2000 is that Manni has done extensive work and publishing about how to calibrate the RS2000, which would benefit a guy like me who is serious about becoming a good calibrator.

Another is the color space and better contrast, but like I said I was very happy with the contrast on my RS420, but was disappointed in the resolution having come from a RS520 (the 420 was a hold over). 

The RS2000 would give me more things to learn with calibration and to enjoy the fruits of my labor, afterwards.

The RS1000 would be cheaper, pique my interest more with modern movies because of the 4K. 

The RS540 would seemingly give a really good picture quality for 1080p for my old movies especially the ones in color.

What would you chose? Am I missing some important things?

Manni

« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »
Hi Sparky,

Welcome here!

Before talking projector, is there any chance you can improve the room a bit? It’s probably a big limiting factor contrast-wise at the moment.

The three projectors you mention as potential upgrades are all very good. If you want the wide color gamut, That leaves the rs540 or rs2000, whichever fits your budget. If you don’t plan to watch lots of native 4K, the rs540 is a fantastic deal. Otherwise, even on a small-ish screen, you should be happy with the increased resolution and picture stability brought by the rs1000/rs2000.

You know which one I would chose in my bat loft, but in your room the rs1000 would do great too.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these frankly!

I’d give Mike a call and discuss it with him. I’m sure that would help your decision more than what any of us could advise :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:04:29 AM by Manni »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal