AVS Discussions

Panasonic UB820

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Panasonic UB820
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
Early reports are that this 4k player does a great job of tone mapping HDR ! Post up your reports here please !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:30am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig

bmoney

Re: Panasonic UB820
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:35 PM »
I’m on vacation. But wanted to pop in and say the TM on this unit is amazing. Blows the Oppo away because it does full wcg. It’s also dynamic as it changes the tone map for different nit titles.

Also you can tweak it to your liking with the slider and the white and black slider

Awesome!  Highly recommended

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
Btw I started a thread in the 4K Blu-ray player forum

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
Can anyone who owns one confirm whether or not this unit allows subtitles to be shifted?  With a scope screen, this is often a problem, where they either overlap, or are completely outside the picture.

Everything else on this looks awesome, and if it does allow shifting, it's going to be hard to resist buying it!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
Yes, it does have that feature.
Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Carada, Da-Lite, Vutec, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan, Def Tech, RBH, M&K and many other brands.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 03:41:46 AM »
Yes, it does have that feature.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation, Mike.

I currently use a custom curve with my Philips BDP-7501, and the result is quite good.  But there is some variation from one move to the next, presumably based on their mastering.

The UB-820's ability to adjust its tone-mapping for each individual movie, if it proves to work well, with no undesirable 'side effects,' should produce even better results.  And from what I've read on various forums, so far it's living up to its claims, with full WCG to boot.

Plus, I would be able to sell my HDFury Linker, which I now need to enable the DI, and prevent Gamma D autoswitching, which would help offset the cost.

Having it give me the ability to shift subtitles as well is icing on the cake!