AVS Discussions
  Go Down

2018 CEDIA projector thread

Re: 2018 CEDIA projector thread
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 12:50:40 AM »
I have some serious reservations believing that some of these guys have compared current JVC's to current Sony's. It's usually the ones who claim massive advantages in detail on the Sony units who I don't believe. Now, I'm not going to say I haven't seen differences in apparent resolution between the two, I have, but 95%+ of the time the two images look identical to me when it comes to apparent resolution. But the differences in brightness, contrast and color do make an apparent difference most of the time between these two brands. This is why I own a JVC. But if things were flipped, I'd be a Sony owner.

To bring this back to an on topic post, I think if this is the year JVC comes out with relatively affordable native 4K projectors, I can't see why anyone would be buying a Sony projector if JVC is able to keep close to or better the other aspects of image quality JVC projectors already have (brightness, decent lens quality, contrast, good video processing, ect). What other than "native 4K", and I put that in quotes on purpose due to some of the inherent issues Sony has with their 4K panels, do Sony projectors have? At similar price points the Sony's are dimmer, louder, softer, less dynamic looking due to less contrast, have less I/O capabilities and video processing options (no 18Gbps ports, issues with 4K 60p content), worse with 3D and I personally think the build quality is less. But, hey, at least it's native 4K.

I really don't want to hate on Sony, but they make it easy. When JVC does come out with more affordable native 4K projectors Sony will be forced to do something. Consumers in the projector market seem to be a bit more informed on what's what from my experience. A lot of them go on to forums and check to see what projector is best at a given price point. Their brand name won't be enough to keep sales up if they don't improve image quality in other areas when JVC has cheaper native 4K projectors.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:57:04 AM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »
I have some serious reservations believing that some of these guys have compared current JVC's to current Sony's. It's usually the ones who claim massive advantages in detail on the Sony units who I don't believe. Now, I'm not going to say I haven't seen differences in apparent resolution between the two, I have, but 95%+ of the time the two images look identical to me when it comes to apparent resolution. But the differences in brightness, contrast and color do make an apparent difference most of the time between these two brands. This is why I own a JVC. But if things were flipped, I'd be a Sony owner.

To bring this back to an on topic post, I think if this is the year JVC comes out with relatively affordable native 4K projectors, I can't see why anyone would be buying a Sony projector if JVC is able to keep close to or better the other aspects of image quality JVC projectors already have (brightness, decent lens quality, contrast, good video processing, ect). What other than "native 4K", and I put that in quotes on purpose due to some of the inherent issues Sony has with their 4K panels, do Sony projectors have? At similar price points the Sony's are dimmer, louder, softer, less dynamic looking due to less contrast, have less I/O capabilities and video processing options (no 18Gbps ports, issues with 4K 60p content), worse with 3D and I personally think the build quality is less. But, hey, at least it's native 4K.

I really don't want to hate on Sony, but they make it easy. When JVC does come out with more affordable native 4K projectors Sony will be forced to do something. Consumers in the projector market seem to be a bit more informed on what's what from my experience. A lot of them go on to forums and check to see what projector is best at a given price point. Their brand name won't be enough to keep sales up if they don't improve image quality in other areas when JVC has cheaper native 4K projectors.

I now have owned a Sony projector (665es) and a JVC RS4500.  Granted comparing the two is unjust given their respective places in the market at the times I purchased them.  But I had issues with both of them and the difference in their customer service is night and day to put it simply.  Sony just deosn't care about their customers individually b/c they have so many of them and JVC does.  I had two RS 4500s replaced for two separate OOTB issues that were present and JVC only need video and confirmation from my dealer for both to swiftly replace them with brand new units.  No hassle, no service repair and I wasn't required to return the defective unit first before they sent out replacements so I was never left without a projector. 

Sony hid behind vague fine print to force me to keep a clearly defective projector that could have been repaired and that will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.  So if I am to ever buy Sony again it better really be a good product.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:34:00 AM by Baseball0618 »
JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB900/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos

AVSMike

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Getting up into August. About the time we start hearing a few tidbits of information. Hopefully we hear something very soon. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:04:37 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Hi All.
Thought I would pop in over here as I had been removed from a discussion (possibly more than one) for just trying to get a bit of balance.

Funnily enough, on balance, I shouldn't have bothered.  ;) :D

Anyway, glad to be here as the discussions over here seem a little more 'grown up' shall we say? :)
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up"
Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend"
Bruce Lee.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Hi All.
Thought I would pop in over here as I had been removed from a discussion (possibly more than one) for just trying to get a bit of balance.

Funnily enough, on balance, I shouldn't have bothered.  ;) :D

Anyway, glad to be here as the discussions over here seem a little more 'grown up' shall we say? :)

Welcome. We are going to try and post live pictures from Cedia this year ( sending them to Alan G. to post ), so we can keep you guys up to date in real time regarding anything new !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
I now have owned a Sony projector (665es) and a JVC RS4500.  Granted comparing the two is unjust given their respective places in the market at the times I purchased them.  But I had issues with both of them and the difference in their customer service is night and day to put it simply.  Sony just deosn't care about their customers individually b/c they have so many of them and JVC does.  I had two RS 4500s replaced for two separate OOTB issues that were present and JVC only need video and confirmation from my dealer for both to swiftly replace them with brand new units.  No hassle, no service repair and I wasn't required to return the defective unit first before they sent out replacements so I was never left without a projector. 

Sony hid behind vague fine print to force me to keep a clearly defective projector that could have been repaired and that will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.  So if I am to ever buy Sony again it better really be a good product.

it's unfortunate that you got two defective units to begin with, but it sounded like they finally sent a stellar unit. I've only owned one Sony - a VW600. Never had any problems with it, but it may have had contrast degradation going on when I sold it. I guess I've been lucky - I've owned an NEC HT1000, an Optoma H76 and H79, a Digital Projection dVision 1080p, a Sim2 Lumis Host ( for 7 1/2 years ), a JVC RS600, the Sony VW600 and now the RS4500. Never had a need to get servicing / warranty repair on any of them myself. I have helped customers get warranty repair and JVC is 2nd to none. Sim2 is good too. Haven't had much interaction with Sony support myself. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »
Welcome. We are going to try and post live pictures from Cedia this year ( sending them to Alan G. to post ), so we can keep you guys up to date in real time regarding anything new !

Sounds cool.
Looking forward to seeing what is on offer even if I don’t plan on changing my VW760 quite yet.  :)
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up"
Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend"
Bruce Lee.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
I notice a certain number of Sony owners are what I would call "emotional buyers"...

That sounds like some kind of politically correct name for "obnoxious little fan boys"!  ;)  ::)

"Ignore" is your friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to logon to give Mike and Craig a "Like" and found out Arrow was on my ignore list!  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:06:36 PM by rob-houston »

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »
That sounds like some kind of politically correct name for "obnoxious little fan boys"!  ;)  ::)

"Ignore" is your friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to logon to give Mike and Craig a "Like" and found out Arrow was on my ignore list!  ;D  ;)
Really? Why? What did I do?   ;) :'(

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
JVC's New D-ILA Projector Teaser:

;)

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 01:13:21 PM »
That really is a tease!  ;D :P

AVSMike

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
Yes it is. From what little we have to go on.

1.  Not same shape as 4500, so I don't think we are looking at 4500 replacement.
2.  I think a model above the 4500 would probably use the same housing as the 4500, so I don't think it is a model above the 4500.

So this is a new housing. Will it be a model right above the RS640? Is this the new housing for the lamp based line? Will this be native 4K? Will this have USB firmware updates ability? If 4K what will the native contrast be?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
There is a series of years shown in that video. 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2016. Is that just when new case/housing designs were done, or is there any other clue that can be derived from those years?

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Yes it is. From what little we have to go on.

1.  Not same shape as 4500, so I don't think we are looking at 4500 replacement.
2.  I think a model above the 4500 would probably use the same housing as the 4500, so I don't think it is a model above the 4500.

So this is a new housing. Will it be a model right above the RS640? Is this the new housing for the lamp based line? Will this be native 4K? Will this have USB firmware updates ability? If 4K what will the native contrast be?
Here's the new JVC projector as compared with the JVC RS4500/Z1, where of course they could in realty be completely different comparative sizes:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AVSFORUM-2/i-B7W7b4m/0/4136cebb/XL/NEW%20JVC%20PROJECTOR%203-XL.jpg
2018 CEDIA projector thread

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
I'm hoping for a bulb replacement.  I don't think laser/ phosphor offers anything to picture quality so I'd rather get bulb + native 4K first if that means we can have it at lower prices.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal