AVS Discussions
  Go Down

2018 CEDIA projector thread

Re: 2018 CEDIA projector thread
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
I'm hoping for a bulb replacement.  I don't think laser/ phosphor offers anything to picture quality so I'd rather get bulb + native 4K first if that means we can have it at lower prices.
You may have your wish Dylan...  ;)

AVSMike

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
There is a series of years shown in that video. 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2016. Is that just when new case/housing designs were done, or is there any other clue that can be derived from those years?

The 2016 model year was not a new housing. But the 2016 year was a big advancement for JVC products. That is the year where JVC greatly increased the lumen output, while keeping native contrast the same, on the 5 and 6 series. Also the year they introduced HDR, 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:23 PM »
You may have your wish Dylan...  ;)

Do you know something I don't? :)
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »
Do you know something I don't? :)
Let's just say that there's definitely going to be something new from within the realm of native 4K and lamp-based launched by JVC at IFA and CEDIA  ;)

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »
OK folks, yet to be definitively confirmed, but the latest information strongly indicates that JVC will be launching a new native 4K lamp-based projector range to replace the existing eShift lamp-based projector range which is to be discontinued; wherein, the new flagship to replace the X9900/RS640 will be eShift 8K :)

This teaser trailer is for the new range:

So, it's going to be a case of either JVC being the first to achieve very high contrast performance with native 4K, which will be game-changing and akin to a trump card against all of the competition, which would be amazing; or the comparative contrast performance is going to be significantly worse, meaning JVC will lose their primary USP, which would be very disappointing indeed. Personally I am hoping to be amazed and not disappointed...   ;)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:39:16 PM by ARROW-AV »

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Great news Nigel.

This could finally mean an end to the image noise that JVCs tend to suffer with, and a step up in image quality, provided the contrast doesn't suffer too much. Having said that, as much as I like high contrast and good black levels, I prefer a noise free image, so given the choice, I would go for the lower/no image noise and less contrast over image noise with more contrast. 4K is an added bonus. 4K eshift should be something else :)

I'm surprised they're stopping the 1080 eshift range though - if they just stopped major development on the 1080 chipset and kept it as their entry level with reduced pricing, they could take a bigger chunk of the lower end of the market while still taking chunks out of Sony's 4K market and keeping a hold of the market in the current price range they already have. If the pricing is right, demand could be huge. I can see a lot of people selling their current eshift JVCs if the contrast isn't taking as much of a hit or if the performance is along the lines of the Z1, whos owners say the image offers so much more and the lower contrast is an acceptable compromise or don;t really miss.

Can't wait to see how these things perform. Any ideas on dates for prerelease models for testing?

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »
Great news Nigel.

This could finally mean an end to the image noise that JVCs tend to suffer with, and a step up in image quality, provided the contrast doesn't suffer too much. Having said that, as much as I like high contrast and good black levels, I prefer a noise free image, so given the choice, I would go for the lower/no image noise and less contrast over image noise with more contrast. 4K is an added bonus. 4K eshift should be something else :)

I'm surprised they're stopping the 1080 eshift range though - if they just stopped major development on the 1080 chipset and kept it as their entry level with reduced pricing, they could take a bigger chunk of the lower end of the market while still taking chunks out of Sony's 4K market and keeping a hold of the market in the current price range they already have. If the pricing is right, demand could be huge. I can see a lot of people selling their current eshift JVCs if the contrast isn't taking as much of a hit or if the performance is along the lines of the Z1, whos owners say the image offers so much more and the lower contrast is an acceptable compromise or don;t really miss.

Can't wait to see how these things perform. Any ideas on dates for prerelease models for testing?

I'll be surprised if they stop 1080p eshift all together. I would guess they won't on the less expensive models.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
Great news Nigel.

I'll be surprised if they stop 1080p eshift all together. I would guess they won't on the less expensive models.
Very nice to bump into you on here Gary!  :)

What is reportedly (but not definitively confirmed yet) going to happen is that all of the X9/RS6, X7/RS5 and X5/RS4 series will be discontinued and replaced with new native 4K iterations, with the replacement for the X9/RS6 being eShift 8K.

But hopefully, JVC will do as you suggest, namely retain 1080p eShift projectors but at a reduced price, as lower-entry-level product(s). We shall see.

I will be attending IFA in Berlin in advance of attending CEDIA, so I will be able to confirm the full details with respect to what's what on 31st August, in the event that no-one elses does first.

I agree regarding the video noise... which was why I was annoyed last year when the supposedly reduced mosquito noise that had been claimed by JVC to be applicable to the new eShift range refresh transpired not to be the case at all. It was/is still there! >:(

So if the new replacement for the flagship X9/RS6 is eShift 8K let's just hope there's none of that mosquito noise!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:02:10 PM by ARROW-AV »

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
Not yet, but I will know on August 31st when I attend IFA. I will very likely be personally obtaining one of the early units for in-depth evaluation and product review purposes, and I will be sure to publish my measurements and findings.  ;)

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
I agree regarding the video noise... which was why I was annoyed last year when the supposedly reduced mosquito noise that had been claimed by JVC to be applicable to the new eShift range refresh transpired not to be the case at all. It was/is still there! >:(

But is the JVC noise an issue to you from regular seating?  No seems to mention it in A/B comparisons to the Sony 4Ks.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
But is the JVC noise an issue to you from regular seating?  No seems to mention it in A/B comparisons to the Sony 4Ks.
Not a huge issue for me personally with respect to the existing eShift range, but I prefer a clean image. However, 8K resolution really needs larger screen size and/or closer viewing distances in order to be able to benefit from the increased resolution; wherein, if this is eShift with the same degree of video noise then I think there will be situations wherein you will notice the noise and this could be an issue for many people.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:47:12 PM by ARROW-AV »

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
Very nice to bump into you on here Gary!  :)

How did you know it was me? I'm in disguise...  :o  :D

Javs

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
Not a huge issue for me personally with respect to the existing eShift range, but I prefer a clean image. However, 8K resolution really needs larger screen size and/or closer viewing distances in order to be able to benefit from the increased resolution; wherein, if this is eShift with the same degree of video noise then I think there will be situations wherein you will notice the noise and this could be an issue for many people.

Honestly, I would just turn off eshift 8k.

While it would increase MTF, I just would prefer razor sharp pixels when you are at that kind of resolution. I am sure if all of this is true that there would be other things about the new 6/9 series to warrant the purchase other than 8k eshift only.
JVC X9500 (RS620) | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Emotiva 5175 | Rotel RMB-1555B | iNuke 3000DSP | Javelin Audio 7.4.2 System

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
At this point in time, 8K is a bit superfluous. I will say that e-shift with 1080p panels has been pretty good in that most of the content I'm watching is still 1080p, so it's nice to be able to use a projector that can map source information per pixel as it was encoded as opposed to relying on some form of upscaling and hoping the algorithm used doesn't do any damage.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
It will probably be similar to the very first eshift JVC that was around before UHD was even a thing, so there's a good chance this faux 8K machine will be obsolete before we get 8K sources, and if it isn't, it won't be compatible with them. We'll have to wait for 8K eshift 2 or something. It's most likely just a marketing thing, though it might have features like warping so if it's used with an anamorphic lens it can deal with the pincushion. It will be interesting to see what it has to offer over the 4K units anyhow.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal