AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Movie Theater Snacks Delivered To Your Home.

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
Movie Theater Snacks Delivered To Your Home.
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
What do you think? The service currently only exists in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cineplex-movie-snacks-delivery-1.4726051

Movie chain tests program with Uber Eats to bring you popcorn, hot dogs, nachos, drinks

Some Canadians with a hankering for movie theatre popcorn without the trek to a cinema are in luck.

Cineplex Inc. has started to offer delivery of concession stand snacks — popcorn, hot dogs, candy, nachos and soft drinks — to customers in 60 communities throughout Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Quebec this week.

One offering under the plan, which the company dubs its 'Cineplex Movie Night In Combo' would see anyone who signs up get a HD movie rental, two medium popcorns, two medium candies and two medium drinks for $28.99. All of which they would consume without ever leaving their home.

The offering, a partnership with Uber Eats, comes months after Cineplex tested delivery in university towns in southern Ontario and as the entertainment giant ramped up its efforts to diversify its revenue beyond movie screenings, whose profits can be unpredictable because they are dependent on the strength of the films studios roll out.

To combat that unpredictability and the popularity of on-demand streaming services that are increasingly convincing film lovers to stay home to watch movies, Cineplex has expanded concession stand products, offered VIP seating and opened Rec Room gaming bars and a Playdium arcade centre in Ontario.

No MoviePass yet, but 'Netflix for movie theatres' rival Sinemia is now in Canada
Those ventures have drawn in a young demographic that is also likely be a fan of the delivery service, Cineplex chief executive Ellis Jacob said.

"I know when I was studying for exams, I didn't want to leave (the house), but I still wanted a treat," he said. "This allows you to do that or if you've got little kids and you want to watch something at home, you can do that and have the goodies at the same time."

The service is available in cities including Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal, but parts of downtown Toronto will be left out of the offering because some theatre concession stands aren't easily accessible for Uber Eats drivers.

If there is demand for an expansion to unserviced areas, Jacob said Cineplex will look at using its Rec Room gaming bars and head office as hubs for delivery or consider opening a distribution centre.

For now, he said the company will focus on Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Quebec because of their high populations and the company's large network of theatres there.

Cineplex bringing NFL Sunday night games, Superbowl to theatres
The foods Cineplex will deliver from theatres in those provinces will be packaged for deliveries. Popcorn will be double-bagged and sealed at the top, so kernels don't spill out in transit and hot dogs will be wrapped in foil and dropped off alongside condiments in small packages.

On top of concession stand treats, customers will also be able to order combos that include movie rentals from the Cineplex Store.

If the service takes off, Jacob said delivery customers might see new treats crop up for delivery.

Re: Movie Theater Snacks Delivered To Your Home.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
It always amazes me at the lengths some people will go not to pick something up or make themselves. Haha

A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
I think the movie WALL-E will be a reality one day.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:50:40 AM »
When the heck did movie theater snacks/treats become some special thing? Seriously? Maybe it's because I am getting older and don't buy anything to eat/drink when at the theater anyway and only ever did popcorn when younger but aside from just purely association with the movie theater that stuff doesn't have much appeal. I'd rather order a pizza if I'm ordering solid food, and there are a ton of gourmet popcorns and other snacks. I don't get it, obviously.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
We already have a popcorn machine, and a wine cellar ! Good to go !

Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
We already have a popcorn machine, and a wine cellar ! Good to go !

Can I come and see your ahhhh theater?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Sure. " Sideways" movie nights, with 1/2 the room drinking pinot, the other 1/2 merlot, are always fun !

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
Craig how much was the popcorn machine? Where did you pick one up? I might be in the market for a smaller one in the near future.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
Craig how much was the popcorn machine? Where did you pick one up? I might be in the market for a smaller one in the near future.

It's a 4 oz Paragon Contempo 4. It was a gift, but I'm sure Google will bring it up. I buy cases of 4 oz " Funpop Popcorn " on Amazon - the best popcorn. Perfect every time !

TWISM

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
It's a 4 oz Paragon Contempo 4. It was a gift, but I'm sure Google will bring it up. I buy cases of 4 oz " Funpop Popcorn " on Amazon - the best popcorn. Perfect every time !

I have the same one and its been excellent.
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 2080ti-  Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:27 AM »
We have one in our Rochester showroom as well, I bought it and the cart on Amazon, machines come in all different sizes and price ranges, and they work just great!  Nothing better than the smell of fresh popped corn when you want to watch a movie. 
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal