AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Directors Have Serious Concerns About LED Screens in Movie Theaters

HomeTheaterGuy

• Your friendly neighborhood admin
    • AV Science
Remember that Samsung LED theater screen I mentioned a while ago? Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan and Michael Apted have started to fight against it already.

The complaint is: "You have to have projection. … Don’t just go the way of just being television."

What do you think?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/spielberg-nolan-directors-who-dont-want-led-screens-movie-theaters-1105477

Re: Directors Have Serious Concerns About LED Screens in Movie Theaters
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »
Reflected light of a screen is just a different experience, if they would only stick to 70mm film for movie theaters, i would start going again, last movie i seen in a theater was at IMAX in New York, and that was a pixelated experience, not impressed at all, if they go LED screens ill just go stick my head into my tv instead.

My eyes hurt already.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
Remember that Samsung LED theater screen I mentioned a while ago? Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan and Michael Apted have started to fight against it already.

The complaint is: "You have to have projection. … Don’t just go the way of just being television."

What do you think?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/spielberg-nolan-directors-who-dont-want-led-screens-movie-theaters-1105477

I see their point. It seems especially lame to shoot on film, only to watch it on a giant TV.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »
I agree that projection on to a proper screen has it's own aesthetic quality, I just don't agree with these guys. Their argument is solely because they don't like change. I wonder if they made as big of an issue when DLP and SXRD projectors began replacing film projectors in commercial theaters? I doubt it. I think that if these new LED screens objectively make the viewing experience better then bring em' on. Most theaters cannot afford the million dollar Dolby Vision projector. This seems to be the only game changing projector released in a long time and I don't see anything else in the world of projection similar to this Dolby one coming out. These LED screens should offer similar enough performance to the Dolby Vision projector and more than likely smaller theaters can afford these new LED screens which should be coming down in cost soon.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
Reflected light of a screen is just a different experience, if they would only stick to 70mm film for movie theaters, i would start going again, last movie i seen in a theater was at IMAX in New York, and that was a pixelated experience, not impressed at all, if they go LED screens ill just go stick my head into my tv instead.

My eyes hurt already.

Think your forehead will suffer before your eyes putting your head into the your Oled tv, but what do i know.... ;D

Think it can be nice to have experienced the new big direct view Cinema screens before turning they down as not good ways to watch movies... i belive there were some people that was against putting on a soundtrack in the silent movie days too...The man playing live had to get himself a different job for example.

For people loving close to infinity black levels and HDR when watching movies, i thing the direct view screens may be a good experience. The front speaker sound track may be difficult to solve troug a massive led screen but they may use reflection and other ways to time the sound so that my be solved too.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I agree the 70mm film experiense is nice, but there is different use of the 70mm area too. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/07/20/why_see_dunkirk_in_imax_70_mm_explained_video.html?via=gdpr-consent

The on of contrast in analog film projectors is often not very impressive, and the resolution when the transport needs to change 24fps is often not giving us the full possible resolution out of it either , good black levels is hard to get trough analog film projectors too, so I think new ways of showing us what the film may look like can be a good thing too.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
I agree that projection on to a proper screen has it's own aesthetic quality, I just don't agree with these guys. Their argument is solely because they don't like change. I wonder if they made as big of an issue when DLP and SXRD projectors began replacing film projectors in commercial theaters? I doubt it. I think that if these new LED screens objectively make the viewing experience better then bring em' on. Most theaters cannot afford the million dollar Dolby Vision projector. This seems to be the only game changing projector released in a long time and I don't see anything else in the world of projection similar to this Dolby one coming out. These LED screens should offer similar enough performance to the Dolby Vision projector and more than likely smaller theaters can afford these new LED screens which should be coming down in cost soon.

Considering the 10' 7" x 5' 11" highest pixel count Micro LED " The Wall Luxury " Samsung screen is $ 350,000, I can't imagine a big theater sized version won't be well over a million dollars too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:24:00 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal