Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Lumagen Radiance Pro
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
There is a new Lumagen Radiance Pro firmware update - 

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

080120- Posted 081220  Fix for a slight flicker issue seen with dynamic tone mapping in some movie titles. Improved algorithm for DTM DeSat used to limit saturation peaking for dynamic tone mapping and added an 'Auto' setting for DeSat in the DTM menu which is the new default. Fixed issue with DTM not taking into account user set video delay. Fix for auto aspect not always detecting image bounds with 9ghz input cards. New 18Ghz input chip firmware has small improvements from update on 051820. Fix for an intermittent video/audio drop with a Direct TV source.  Added feature for Kaleidescape player to eliminate output mode changes when changing from  Kaleidescape menu to movie -- a short "how to" is below.  Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .

Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware. Systems with 18Ghz input cards will have ~1 minute bootup time on first power up after this update as internal input chip firmware updates---if after first power-on it comes up with green/pink colorization then turn Pro off and back on to power-up for a second time.

How to set up Kaleidescape Strato & Pro to eliminate unnecessary output mode changes
With many projectors changing the output mode (.ei 4k24 to 4k60) can be rather slow. The Kaleidescape player always uses 60hz for it's menu but when playing a movie it's preferable to have it set to play at 24Hz so going between menu and movies can leave the viewer sometimes waiting 30 seconds with a blank screen while the equipment syncs up to the new output mode. A very simple way to fix this is just to set the Pro to output 4k24 for all input modes but then the less common case of 60Hz videos from the Kaliedescape would look stuttery so a method to stay in 24Hz output for only the Kaleidescape menus and 24Hz movies is desirable. There is a way to detect the special case of Kaleidescapes' menu screen and with a new option in the Pro we can eliminate this slow resync time between menus and movies and keep 60Hz videos looking good. To do this, make a change in the Kaleidescape players advanced video setup menu and set the HDMI Content Type Metadata to 'Transmit content type metadata' (the Kaleidescape will now output a special graphics flag over HDMI when in it's menu). On the Pro menu under Input: Options: HDMI Setup: Type, set the Graphic Flag Use setting to 'Use'. Now when the Kaleidescape is in it's menu the Pro will detect and use the graphics flag and classify the input mode as 'Other' (instead of 4k60). So the last setting to make is in the Pro's Output Setup menu and for the input mode condition of 'Other' change the Pro's output mode, CMS's and Style selection to match what is setup when detecting a 24Hz input mode.  The Pro will now stay in the same 24Hz output mode when Kaleidescape changes between 60Hz menu and 24Hz movies but still allow the Pro to change to a 60Hz mode when 60Hz videos are played.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »
Note that we have some B-stock for CEDIA Sale. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
We have been working on the pipeline enhancements now that we have the DTM in such great shape. We should have a release in about a week with an improved up-sampling algorithm (e.g. 2k to 4k), and both a sharpener for scaling (e.g. 2k to 4k), and a sharpener for 4k content. The new scaling algorithm (without any sharpness turned on) increases the Radiance Pro scaling score on the Tektronix scaling analysis tester by about 10% and there is a noticeable increase in image detail.

I can post more at a later date, but everyone should realize that over-sharpening alters the director's intent. Making a distant object "sharp" is wrong since that is not how it would look if you were there in person. Distant objects should be out of focus consistent with their distance from the observer. The same can be said when objects in motion are sharpened. You are reducing the intentional and necessary motion blur.

When you over-sharpen an image you create the dreaded "soap opera effect." The common complaint I hear from professionals about sharpening is that it makes the images look "artificial" and "over processed."

When a movie mastered in 2k is converted to UHD or HDR, the director/producer/grader decide on how sharp the resulting 4k images should be. They have the tools to really sharpen the images if they thought it was the right thing to do. However, you do not see this. An example I will likely discuss in more detail later is Skyfall. It was mastered in 2k and then up-sampled for the UHD version. The Radiance Pro scaling of the 2k version of Skyfall, without any sharpening, to my eyes looks essentially identical to the 4k UHD version. This is exactly what a scaling algorithm should do.

I do think there is a place for a small amount of sharpening to correct for detail lost in compression. For example Skyfall would have some additional detail if it was instead mastered in 4k. In addition, I think people would be surprised at how much high frequency detail is thrown out once the content is converted to the frequency-domain during the compression process. Looking at the "truncation matrix" for Luma and Chroma I have always been surprised at how good the images still can look after the high frequencies are reduced, or even tossed away. Trying to recover the lost detail makes sense, and that is what we are trying to achieve with the Radiance Pro sharpening we are working on.

One professional described (over) sharpening as "putting 10 spoon fulls of sugar in your coffee." It makes the images sickly-sweet. For the Radiance Pro we are working to recover lost detail with our sharpening algorithm, without making the mistake of over-sharpening the images. Our goal has always been, and will remain, studio reference standard image quality.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »

under what menu will the new sharpening controls be located? Since Darbee is not considered to be a sharpening process, how would you expect your new sharpening algorithm to interact with Darbee? Would you advise disabling Darbee once the new firmware is released or are they potentially synergistic? Lastly, will the new firmware have any improvement in upscaling of 480 (DVD) content? Thanks!
The new enhancements will be in the enhancement menu. That is Input -> In Configs -> input_resolution -> input_resolution_memory -> Enhance -> Sharpness. So this will be a per-input, per-input-memory and per-input-resolution settings to you can optimize for every input resolution.

Darbee is a "contrast enhancer" and the new Pro enhancements are "edge enhancements." In the older Radiance models, and now confirmed in the Radiance Pro, used with a light touch the Darbee and edge enhancements are synergistic IMO. I personally prefer the edge enhancements, and I think if you turn the new edge enhancements up a bit more you might choose to turn off Darbee. However, used in moderation they can be on at the same time since they affect the image in different ways.

I think this is one of those times that I have to send everyone off to experiment and report back once we release the edge enhancements. I think different people may well have different opinions. For example, I am doing testing with Darbee Off and I really like the results of using only the edge enhancements. However, for comparisons, I have my four memories set to:

MEMA: No enhancement
MEMB: New edge-enhancement only
MEMC: Darbee only
MEMD: Both

Note that if you want to do this once this is released you must select a different "input_resolution_memory" (0 to 7 available) for each input memory using the "Input Setup" menu. Don't forget to Save.

====

I have not spent much time on 480 or 576 content, but the edge enhancements do apply. However, a lot of SD content is low on detail, and high on noise. The edge enhancements work on detail. Since detail is lacking for SD content, little to work with. With a lot of SD content there is quite a lot of compression artifacts and image noise. The edge enhancements are happy to enhance artifacts and noise, which of course is not a good thing. I did look at a scene from "House of Flying Daggers" and the edge enhancement did improve the print on a cloth to some degree.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2020, 11:23:34 AM »
We are increasing precision of sections of logic being "touched" as they are worked on. For now this is the edge enhancement which touches some parts of the scaler. However, not all of the scaler is being worked on for the enhancement efforts. Over the next few months we will be updating more of the "10-bit section" of the pipeline to be 12 plus bits.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »
New firmware -

080720- Posted 092820  Added option to HDR max default to 'Always' use the user settable default Max Cll value. This is usually left at 'Auto' which can use information from the source to augment DTM but if the source is rarely correct it is better to use just the value set for Max default. This setting is found in the menu under Input: Options:Hdr Setup: Max Default .  Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com . We're very close to having another  update that includes a sharpness enhancement option so you may choose to wait and update then.

Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »
I'm really excited about the next firmware release, which should be soon !

AVSMike

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
Yes, a lot of us are waiting on that one. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bmoney

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »
sigh...if i only were rich (or single)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
The B stock sale ends today. You don't need to be too rich. Can't comment on being single. :-X;D

AVSMike

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
Nah, wife and kids are much better than a VP or new projector. Though, wife, kids and nice AV is pretty good and you are getting there. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

bmoney

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Nah, wife and kids are much better than a VP or new projector. Though, wife, kids and nice AV is pretty good and you are getting there. :)
i know i jest aghahah
but thanks!  i do enjoy what i already have :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
New Lumagen firmware - 

092320- Posted 10520  Added sharpening enhancement feature which can be accessed  in menu under Input: In Configs: RES: Enhance (or with right arrow). Has level setting from 0-7 (7 being extreme sharpening) and a sensitivity setting which can be set to High or Norm (the High setting avoids sharpening low level changes). You can also access sharpening with right arrow command if you set the option under Other: I/O Setup: Remote Ctl: R/Left arrows option for this. Several improvements in FPGA have improved pixel precision especially for 1080 being upscaled to 4k.. Fix for DTM with some fast scene changes causing distracting color change (problem originally seem in Umbrella Academy with bright clouds in background). Fix for menu command to reset all settings except CMS. Fix for being unable to copy input settings to virtual inputs. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
  Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

AVSMike

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Updated mine tonight and set sharpening to 3. Looks good so far. Really happy with the Lumagen. It just keeps getting better and better.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal