AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSMike

Re: Lumagen Radiance Pro
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
I have been fiddling with the the Dpad setting after the most recent firmware update and have found that I prefer a setting of 1 over my previous setting of 3.  However I can't remember how to copy and save the change to all of my inputs.  Can anyone easily tell me the proper steps to do this?  I would contact Craig Round whom set up and calibrated my system, but I don't want to call him over the holidays. 

Thanks in advance.
Play HDR source on each of the inputs that can receive an HDR source. Then hit left arrow on Lumagen remote and select a dpad of 1.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
Play HDR source on each of the inputs that can receive an HDR source. Then hit left arrow on Lumagen remote and select a dpad of 1.
I thought there was a " save for all inputs " choice in the menu when doing a save ? 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
Appreciate this, Kris.

With regard to what I put in bold in your comment, did he indicate specifically what about the image he found to be that much better than his JVC?

To be clear, I'm not doubting or challenging his observations, just wanting to understand how the superior performance of the Lumagen manifests itself.

For example, when I compared my prior RS400 to my current NX7, for HDR content, colors were dramatically more vivid, and the image had overall much better 'pop' (not a very precise term, to be sure!).  Resolution and detail wise, the differences were much more subtle, at least with actual content, not patterns, and at normal viewing distance.

So I have a reasonably good feel for what someone would expect going from an RS400 to NX7, and am trying to get a grasp on what a Lumagen, or Envy for that matter, would bring to the table (other than a 'set it and forget it' capability, which would be most welcome by itself).
It was visible artifacts for the most part. He was seeing how detail was either clipped or not there with the JVC solution compared to the Radiance. He was also commenting on the strength of the highlights and naturalness of the image. He also noted how I never touched any setting on the Radiance and it always looked fantastic, but I had to go and manipulate the JVC from time to time to get the best result or something that approached the Radiance.

When I compared the JVC to the Radiance when the JVC firmware came out I was surprised how well JVC did. I would say somewhere around 70-80% of the performance with tone mapping overall, with some content looking better than that and some looking worse. But the Radiance has already gone through another rather major update in performance for HDR and has pulled even farther away, especially with the difficult stuff.

How much an end user will notice between a JVC and a Radiance obviously is subjective to the consumer and how fussy they are or how much they LOOK for problems rather than sit back and watch movies. I LOOK for issues ALL THE TIME, so I am overly critical. But I have yet to install or setup a Radiance that wasn't met with an overwhelming WOW from a client when it comes to how much better it looks than before. And I'd say that over 95% of my clients are using JVCs and Sonys, with more leaning toward JVC. I updated a client's Radiance yesterday from the firmware from a few months ago to the latest build and I was getting non stop texts from him last night about how blown away he was with the improved performance, literally surprised that any product could change that much from just a firmware update.

I've worked my butt off for the last few months trying to help Lumagen fine tune their DTM and other tweaks to the Lumagen. So hearing something like that is awesome. 

On that note, if anyone here is interested in having their Lumagen tuned reach out. I offer remote setup and fine tuning for customer's specific setup so they can get the most from their Lumagen, even if they can't get someone to come to their house and do a full system calibration. I've done this for clients all across the states and even in Europe, Australia and the Middle East all with fantastic results. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:25:08 PM by Kris Deering »
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Pro Calibration, Consulting and Education: www.deepdiveav.com

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Thanks for the detailed and very helpful reply, Kris!

Best wishes for a great New Year!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Wow - the new Lumagen DTM firmware really improves the picture. It's like it's brighter but the blacks look just as black - not sure how they did that. No clipping that I can see. I have more testing but so far it looks amazing.

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »
Wow - the new Lumagen DTM firmware really improves the picture. It's like it's brighter but the blacks look just as black - not sure how they did that. No clipping that I can see. I have more testing but so far it looks amazing.
What Dpad setting are you using?  I have found that I prefer a setting of 1 the most.  It really brightened the image from my previous setting of 3 without any noticeable clipping.  
JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB900/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos

AVSMike

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
I think Craig is using a setting of 1. That is what I am using. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
Yes - using a setting of 1. Also, pretty cool that a calibrator like Kris Deering can send you a file to update your Lumagen settings if needed. :D

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
Yes - using a setting of 1. Also, pretty cool that a calibrator like Kris Deering can send you a file to update your Lumagen settings if needed. :D
Yes it is.  Craig Rounds calibrated mine and he called me and walked me through the changes over the phone.  What did you folks set your low ratio too?  Mine settled at 28 up from 24 prior.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:34:26 PM by Baseball0618 »
JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB900/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »
Yes it is.  Craig Rounds calibrated mine and he called me and walked me through the changes over the phone.  What did you folks set your low ratio too?  Mine settled at 28 up from 24 prior.
Not sure because Kris sent a new configuration file, and I just uploaded it to the Lumagen. No manual setting changes required. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2020, 05:16:37 PM »
The newest firmware added some great features ( like re-programming the remote buttons ), and the picture looks outstanding ! 

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »
I've already received some help (separate thread) on calibrating/setting up a JVC NX7 and Lumagen Radiance Pro from this group and I appreciate the help. Mike was also very gracious in responding to an emailed query. The reason I am writing is that although the NX7 - Radiance Pro combination works amazingly well for SDR, I am getting my rear end handed to me in trying to set up that combination for 4K UHD. In my experience folks like details about the set up before responding, so I have provided that below. But the general issue is that although I am getting incredibly good colors, every bright object in the image (lights, the sun, sunlight gleaming off helmets in The Martian, etc.) has a halo around it (the bright spots are flaring). Based on my limited understanding (I have read most of the postings on this forum and AVSForum discussing calibration and the Radiance Pro and the tips and suggestions put out by both Lumangen and Chromapure, but have to admit to being more overwhelmed than anything).

My fundamental questions are (a) what am I doing wrong and (b) how can I solve it? I apologize for the breadth of the questions, but don't really know how else to phrase them. I assume that this halo/flare issue has to do with settings for HIM/DTM (and not color calibration), but again none of my experimentation has really solved the problem.

SDR Settings (for reference)

NX7 - Picture Mode: Natural; Color Profile: BT.709; Color Temp: 6500K (gains/offset tweaked for 20% and 80% grey using a xRite iD3 and Chromapure); Gamma 2.2. Lamp Power: Low; Aperture: Auto 2 at -2 (set to Manual during calibration).
Radiance Pro - CMS0; Colorspace SDR709; HDR Flag: Off; 2020 <-> 601/709: Auto
Calibrated with Chromapure Autocal (729 point color/21 point Gamma).

Looks incredible. The aperture at -2 is a bit weird, but that is the only way I can get approximately 48 nits (using Chromapure Raw reading of 100% white).

HDR Settings (flaring/halo)

NX7 - Picture Mode: HDR10; Color Profile: BT.2020' Color Temp: HDR10 (again gains/offset tweaked for 20% and 80% grey using same sensor and Chromapure); Gamma: 2.4; Lamp Power: High; Aperture: Auto 2 at 0 (set to Manual during calibration).

Radiance Pro - CMS1; Colorspace: SDR2020; HDR Flag: On; 2020 <-> 601/709: Auto
(also calibrated with the same meter, Chromapure Autocal 729 point color/21 point Gamma). Turned off HIM during calibration. Calibrated with the source (Oppo 203) turned off.

HDR Intensity Mapping: On; Max Light: 400 (this is approximately X6.4 of the 62.2 nits reading I get with the NX7 at the settings above using Chromapure at 100% white); Gamma into 3D LUT: SDR.
Low Display Ratio: 40; High Luminance Desat: 4; DTM: Enabled; DTM Pad: 3; Adaptive: Yes

I am projecting onto a SeymourAV AT screen, which I believe has neutral gain.

I am happy to attach (a) Chromapure reports or screenshots of the halo/flaring if that helps. Thanks in advance on any suggestions/guidance that anyone can provide.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »
New Lumagen Radiance Pro firmware available - 

041120- Posted 042020  Numerous HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping improvements. Fix for aspect detection for interlaced sources. Some other minor auto aspect detection improvements. Added rs232 command (ZY418 see tech tip 11 for usage) to set background/foreground color for text messages. Fix for 'NLS when applicable' under Input: Options: Aspect Setup: Auto Aspect which when set to 'on' did not set NLS when exiting the menu. Fix for full rs232 input change report change (v2) not always reporting a change (useful for control systems). Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at radiancepro_beta@lumagen.com .  

Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
 041620- Posted 042520  Better version of small DTM improvement in 041220 fixes several more challenging DTM cases. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at radiancepro_beta@lumagen.com .  

Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates   

Hopefully I'll get a chance to test the latest firmware soon. 

H

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
The Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor is maybe the best thing I've added to my 4K projector for HDR. Everything looks outstanding automatically. The latest news from Lumagen - 

Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM):

We continue to improve the Radiance Pro Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM). A movie producer, who is one of the people responsible for post-production image quality at a major studio, evaluated the Radiance Pro DTM versus the other available, or soon to be available, DTM options. He compared Studio Masters to the DTM output of the Radiance Pro and the other products. He said that “the other DTM options are not even in the same league as the Radiance Pro DTM.” This was before the currently posted software release which further distanced the Radiance Pro from the competition. In addition, we have another release in the works which will have further DTM improvements. These upcoming improvements will enhance a few difficult corner cases, and will not affect the majority of scenes. So, the current public release (060120) already provides exceptional results.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal