AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-20LTD projector

woofer

Re: JVC DLA-20LTD projector
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
You'd think on the 35k RS4500 they would have tested them to the point that I wouldn't be on my 3rd one next week since the first two had two aberrations OTB that would have been caught with relatively minimal QC testing.

I hear you.... I am now on my 3rd unit, now again waiting for a replacement to  arrive from Japan...my 2nd recent replacement was ...lets just say "A Disaster!!!  :(

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »
I doubt we'll even see measurements for these units.  We'll just have to assume they reach 200,000:1 native at telephoto, high lamp and irises closed.

Oh we'll be seeing them. I just got a tracking email. Stay tuned for more!
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Pro Calibration, Consulting and Education: www.deepdiveav.com

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »

Kris, visually are you prepared to process 200,000:1 contrast, I hope your head does not explode :)

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »

So you ponied up and bought one? Or is it in for review?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Kris, visually are you prepared to process 200,000:1 contrast, I hope your head does not explode :)

That is just full on/off capability with no brightness to spare. Probably going to be closer to 80K:1 in my setup, but we'll see. With dynamic engaged probably over a million to 1.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
So you ponied up and bought one? Or is it in for review?

Alan was interested in getting some insight and measurements done and asked if I'd be willing. How could I say no??
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Javs

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 04:41:13 AM »
Alan was interested in getting some insight and measurements done and asked if I'd be willing. How could I say no??

Sooo have you got it yet?
JVC X9500 (RS620) | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Emotiva 5175 | Rotel RMB-1555B | iNuke 3000DSP | Javelin Audio 7.4.2 System

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 07:27:02 PM »
Sooo have you got it yet?

Got it in late Thursday night. So I got a little time with it on Friday but my daughter arrived yesterday for her spring break, so won't get much time with it this week.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

woofer

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
Got it in late Thursday night. So I got a little time with it on Friday but my daughter arrived yesterday for her spring break, so won't get much time with it this week.

Any update on this Kris?  :)
Thanks..

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
I'd be curious to see a few measurements!
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
Yeah, sorry for delays guys. Will be working hard and heavy on this all week. I got the projector the day before my daughter was out for spring break and then I was on a sub. Home now for awhile, so will get plenty of time with the projector.

Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
So spent a few hours this morning just going over the basics. No calibration or measurements, just getting it dialed into the screen and using the default pictures modes (natural and HDR). The unit has absolutely fantastic pixel focus. Probably the best I've seen from a JVC from edge to edge (not including the 4500). Not perfect, but VERY close. Zero convergence issues. On the right side of the screen is an ever so slight amount of red bleed, but I couldn't make it out more than about 1-2 feet from the screen. Black uniformity is also quite good. Small tinge of bright corner in the bottom right and a slight amount on the left side, but only after I sat with a black screen and absolutely zero light for about 10 minutes or more. Couldn't make it out at all in normal viewing. Very slight streaking with white on black, but again, probably one of the best I've seen in this regard. Overall this is exactly the type of performance I would expect from a "hand picked" unit and probably as good as the design is capable of with the basics.

The Natural mode looked quite good out of the box (again, no measurements). Nothing looked "off" in terms of color or grayscale balance. The HDR mode looked pretty good, but the darker end of the image looks a bit crushed giving the image an overly contrasty look that I could see some actually preferring but at the expense of shadow detail (The Revenent was an excellent test for this and showed the lack of detail). Highlights and color saturation looked fantastic though. Again, I think only the super critical or those that just have to know that it is a calibrated projector would have any issues with the image I saw out of the box.

I'll start in on the measurements this week and into the weekend and report back.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

woofer

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 02:52:42 AM »
So spent a few hours this morning just going over the basics. No calibration or measurements, just getting it dialed into the screen and using the default pictures modes (natural and HDR). The unit has absolutely fantastic pixel focus. Probably the best I've seen from a JVC from edge to edge (not including the 4500). Not perfect, but VERY close. Zero convergence issues. On the right side of the screen is an ever so slight amount of red bleed, but I couldn't make it out more than about 1-2 feet from the screen. Black uniformity is also quite good. Small tinge of bright corner in the bottom right and a slight amount on the left side, but only after I sat with a black screen and absolutely zero light for about 10 minutes or more. Couldn't make it out at all in normal viewing. Very slight streaking with white on black, but again, probably one of the best I've seen in this regard. Overall this is exactly the type of performance I would expect from a "hand picked" unit and probably as good as the design is capable of with the basics.

The Natural mode looked quite good out of the box (again, no measurements). Nothing looked "off" in terms of color or grayscale balance. The HDR mode looked pretty good, but the darker end of the image looks a bit crushed giving the image an overly contrasty look that I could see some actually preferring but at the expense of shadow detail (The Revenent was an excellent test for this and showed the lack of detail). Highlights and color saturation looked fantastic though. Again, I think only the super critical or those that just have to know that it is a calibrated projector would have any issues with the image I saw out of the box.

I'll start in on the measurements this week and into the weekend and report back.

Great to hear some positive feedback for a change.. :)

woofer

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »

Any updates Kris ?   :)

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »
With regards to the JVC black crush, it's easily fixed. I have an RS500 with the same result, and I just upped the brightness control to about 4 or 5 and that revealed all the missing bits. I checked if the actual black floor had been raised by flipping the hide button on and off, and it was only about a setting of about 6 that it do so. I was using my Lumagen Radiance test patterns to determine if it was indeed revealing the last few bars of info above black, and it did.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal