Go Down

Thor Ragnorak 4k UHD

bmoney

Thor Ragnorak 4k UHD
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
Picture 10+/10
Sound 7.5/10
Movie 8/10

Well this one turned strange fast....nothing like the first two Thor movies....weird characters, locations etc...a little too much humor....and Hulk was like the Hulk from the kids cartoons....all not terrible...but not the standard you are used to for marvel...so be ware.

Sound is..very MEH.....had to turn up the volume to -2db!!1 and it still wasn't very dynamic nor loud...bass doesn't dig deep...(except the menu music is reference bass which digs DEEP and has the chairs and walls shaking)

Picture...wow the picture....as stunning a picture i have ever seen.  You can see all the wrinkles in Loki's leather suit...all the fabrics...walls..you name it has crystal clear detail. and the colors in this movie are insane....the land with Jeff Goldbloom...is full of colors...my favorite is the blue on his face and the sleeves of his "blouse"...the HDR with lightning and fire monsters...is just reference through and through

Worth a rent...but buy if your a Fan...and LOVE eye candy!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

claw

Re: Thor Ragnorak 4k UHD
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
It does look good for upscaled 2K.

I was very disappointed with the audio.   I was continually adjusting/restarting my AVR thinking there must be something wrong with it.    Putting my ear to the speakers, other than the center, to determine if there was any sound at all from them.   Even after I had raised the volume on my Denon x6400h to -8 db from my typical -14 level for most UHD discs.

After getting half way through the movie and several restarts, the sound finally seemed correct.   But still needed the volume at -10 db.

I wonder if the Atmos encoding is different on this disc.    First time I have seen the audio menu list Atmos 7.1.4 instead of just Atmos.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »
It does look good for upscaled 2K.

I was very disappointed with the audio.   I was continually adjusting/restarting my AVR thinking there must be something wrong with it.    Putting my ear to the speakers, other than the center, to determine if there was any sound at all from them.   Even after I had raised the volume on my Denon x6400h to -8 db from my typical -14 level for most UHD discs.

After getting half way through the movie and several restarts, the sound finally seemed correct.   But still needed the volume at -10 db.

I wonder if the Atmos encoding is different on this disc.    First time I have seen the audio menu list Atmos 7.1.4 instead of just Atmos.

i have read elsewhere...that the second haf of the movie does emasure better than the first...so that is probably what you are experiencing

and I agree I have never seen atmos listed as 7.1.4....because that is actually incorrect...atmos should be able to be rendered to the number of speakers the processor is capable of....not what it was mixed to.
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
I am not a hardcore Marvel fan by any means, I dont know the background of characters or anything like that. I watch the movies purely because I find them entertaining. Thor did not disappoint for me, it was certainly more focused on humor than any of the previous ones and the story had a more sci fi feel than mythological. Some new characters like Korg and his bug friend whos name I cant think of at the moment added to the humor, I was nervous at first it was going to be a Jar Jar Binks type character but was pleasantly surprised. Im a Jeff Goldblum fan and I thought he was good playing a character that no doubt he has more in common with in real life than not. Like said above if your a hardcore fan this might be better rented.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal