AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Low profile/shallow depth speaker recommendation.

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
Low profile/shallow depth speaker recommendation.
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »
The title says it all. I've been looking for a two way that can handle 200watts rms in compact on/wall or bookshelf type speaker. I have the Marantz preamp amp with 200-watt amplifiers. Hard to find something that can handle any power, I want to avoid having to replace drivers over time from high dynamic peaks.

I am more of a videophile, my knowledge in audio has always been very basic, all advice appreciated.

AVSMike

Re: Low profile/shallow depth speaker recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
The title says it all. I've been looking for a two way that can handle 200watts rms in compact on/wall or bookshelf type speaker. I have the Marantz preamp amp with 200-watt amplifiers. Hard to find something that can handle any power, I want to avoid having to replace drivers over time from high dynamic peaks.

I am more of a videophile, my knowledge in audio has always been very basic, all advice appreciated.

When you say, low profile, how thin are we talking? Also is in wall an option? What level are you turning master volume to?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
On wall Triad Bronze LCR. rated for amps up to 200 watts and is 4" deep. https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/ow-bronze-lcr/

M&K Sound MK-950. Rated for amps up to 400 watts and is 3.94" deep. https://www.mksoundus.com/collections/on-wall-speakers/products/mp-950-high-performance-on-wall-loudspeaker

M&K MP-150 MKII rated for amps up to 400 watts and is 5.4" deep. https://www.mksoundus.com/collections/on-wall-speakers/products/mp-150mkii-thx-ultra-2-on-wall-monitor This will handle anything you would throw at it in your room.

M&K MP-300. Rated for amps up to 500 watts and 6.3" deep. https://www.mksoundus.com/collections/on-wall-speakers/products/mp-300-thx-ultra-2-on-wall-monitor This would more than handle anything you threw at it in your room. This probably surpasses the performance of your LCR's up front.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

alangouger

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:11 AM »
Hello Mike, good find, I could not find anything like this online. Ok, here's one drawback, I need about 9 of these and the pricing I am seeing eliminated them due to budget restraints. Anything cheaper?
I can handle something with a little more depth if that helps.

Thank you!!

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:13:39 AM »
as always...are you willing to DIY?

the BEST part of DIY besides bang for buck leader....is you can mdify the cabinet to dimensions that fit your needs..

check out diysoundgroup.com.

every design there is outstanding....and you can contact the designeers themselves to give exact dimension changes to the cab to fit your exact application
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
Hello Mike, good find, I could not find anything like this online. Ok, here's one drawback, I need about 9 of these and the pricing I am seeing eliminated them due to budget restraints. Anything cheaper?
I can handle something with a little more depth if that helps.

Thank you!!

How much depth is max?

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

alangouger

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 04:11:01 PM »
as always...are you willing to DIY?

the BEST part of DIY besides bang for buck leader....is you can mdify the cabinet to dimensions that fit your needs..

check out diysoundgroup.com.

every design there is outstanding....and you can contact the designeers themselves to give exact dimension changes to the cab to fit your exact application

I am not opposed to DIY but that is a lot of work for 9 or more speakers, might end up costing me as much as an off the shelf speaker by time I’m done.

alangouger

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
How much depth is max?

Probably more important is rms, I would give up depth in trade for rms, to many people replacing drivers. I would like to keep it under 12”

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
I am not opposed to DIY but that is a lot of work for 9 or more speakers, might end up costing me as much as an off the shelf speaker by time I’m done.

no way it will cost the same as off shelf....and you can do them in batches or all at once...not trerrible

I have 15 speakers I made all in use in my theater
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

alangouger

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
no way it will cost the same as off shelf....and you can do them in batches or all at once..
I have 15 speakers I made all in use in my theater

I took a look at the site you linked to. Looks nice, for me it’s to much work, the cabinets have to be assembled, the crossover needs assembly, Looks like additional cabinets and crossovers options are  available pre assembled but I want the guess work done for me, I want a complete kit ready to go. I did not see anything in a low depth cabinet and I don’t want to do the math and redesign something. That aside I am sure the site fills the needs for many HT enthusiests. It is nice the diy option exists👍

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
I took a look at the site you linked to. Looks nice, for me it’s to much work, the cabinets have to be assembled, the crossover needs assembly, Looks like additional cabinets and crossovers options are  available pre assembled but I want the guess work done for me, I want a complete kit ready to go. I did not see anything in a low depth cabinet and I don’t want to do the math and redesign something. That aside I am sure the site fills the needs for many HT enthusiests. It is nice the diy option exists👍

I'm finding a lot of nice shallow / low profile on wall speakers. Just none rated at 200 watts ! More like 120 watts.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »
JBL 8350. These have the power handling that you want. they are 10.25" deep.
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_8350.v7.pdf

I use the JBL 8340's for surround and atmos speakers. The 8340's are the older version, made with wood boxes, rather than plastic. You will not blow the 8350's, even running reference levels.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal