AVS Discussions
  Go Down

HTPC for ripping BD, UHD BD and using MadVR

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Thought I would continue this over here rather than in the RS4500 thread.

Here would be a pretty decent PC setup for just running madVR/blu-ray playback:

https://i.imgur.com/TbWsXjF.png

Building a PC like that is very straight forward and would probably take less than 2 hours to do. That's everything you'd need except the harddrives for blu-ray storage and a graphics card. What I'd recommend would actually be to buy a last generation GTX980 Ti. They're still sensibly priced on the gently used market and are more than powerful enough to use for madVR. I use a GTX 980 and it does everything very well without hiccups. I see 980 Ti's for sale on ebay in the $300-$400 range and it's more powerful than a brand new GTX 1070 selling for $750+. Add in several 8TB harddrives (or start off smaller and build your way up to more storage as you need it) and you're all set for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:54:54 AM by Tom Bley »

bmoney

Re: HTPC for ripping BD, UHD BD and using MadVR
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:12:01 AM »
How long does a movie take to rip?
Does it get put in the browser automatically? Can you control it from a phone? Or tablet?

Would love this and be able to put the physical media in storage
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
How long does a movie take to rip?
Does it get put in the browser automatically? Can you control it from a phone? Or tablet?

Would love this and be able to put the physical media in storage

Regular BDs take somewhere around a half hour (going from memory here so I could be off) and UHDs take longer - sometimes up to an hour and a half.  It varies a lot depending on the size of the movie and the speed of the drive.  Of course you don't have to watch it - start a rip and come back later.

If you have the ripping software configured to create the rip in the same folder where you store your movies, then you don't have to do much else.  Otherwise you simply move the file to wherever your movies are.

You can control the browser via iphone or ipad if you go with the Logitech Harmony Smart Hub.
JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, ST130 138" scope screen,
Panasonic DMP-UB900 & Plex Media Server
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
I'm still not decided if I'll pursue this yet; will probably wait for the dust to settle with using MadVR for HDR, since that still seems to be an evolving process.  But regardless, your posts and information are greatly appreciated.

A question:

Currently, I have all of my sources (Philips BDP7501, Roku Premiere+, etc.) all going to my Marantz SR7010, with a single HDMI cable then going to my JVC.  If I were to set up an HTPC, could it also go to my AVR, and then to the Projector, or would it need a direct path, not going through the AVR?

If it needs its own path, that would present a challenge, getting another HDMI cable up to the Projector.  I know the JVC has 2 inputs, but the Raceway I use to get the current HDMI cable, along with 4 Speaker Cables for my Atmos speakers, is pretty much full.  Not sure I could squeeze another one in there!

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
I'm still not decided if I'll pursue this yet; will probably wait for the dust to settle with using MadVR for HDR, since that still seems to be an evolving process.  But regardless, your posts and information are greatly appreciated.

A question:

Currently, I have all of my sources (Philips BDP7501, Roku Premiere+, etc.) all going to my Marantz SR7010, with a single HDMI cable then going to my JVC.  If I were to set up an HTPC, could it also go to my AVR, and then to the Projector, or would it need a direct path, not going through the AVR?

If it needs its own path, that would present a challenge, getting another HDMI cable up to the Projector.  I know the JVC has 2 inputs, but the Raceway I use to get the current HDMI cable, along with 4 Speaker Cables for my Atmos speakers, is pretty much full.  Not sure I could squeeze another one in there!

That's a good question, I'd like to know as well.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
While we wait for clarification on the HDMI cable question, I thought I'd add a link to a thread I just came across on AVS.  It is specifically for ripping UHD discs using MakeMKV:

Ripping UHD 4k Discs with MakeMKV

Don

AVSMike

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
When I was using an HTPC with my system, I ran the HDMI cable from the HTPC to my prepro, using the source labeled media center. I only had one HDMI cable from the prepro to the projector.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal