AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS4500 (native 4K laser projector)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: JVC RS4500 (native 4K laser projector)
« Reply #1350 on: March 06, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
RS-400.

When you are in a dark scene, with the iris closed, when somebody speaks and the subs appears, the iris opens. It has too, the subs are 100% white (at least with SDR material).

I don't see how laser dimming would avoid that. You need to you have max light to display thee subs, or else they will look grey.

Yes, there are instances where any dynamic iris system will show that. Usually though I don't notice it.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1351 on: March 06, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
I have to say that " Wonder Woman " on 4K Blu-ray looked absolutely amazing. First time I've watched it since the Arve's tool custom curves were installed. The HDR looked brighter, the picture cleaner since the calibration.

« Reply #1352 on: March 07, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
RS-400.

When you are in a dark scene, with the iris closed, when somebody speaks and the subs appears, the iris opens. It has too, the subs are 100% white (at least with SDR material).

I don't see how laser dimming would avoid that. You need to have max light to display these subs, or else they will look grey.

One thing you could try, as long as the subtitles aren't encoded into the video itself, is change the color of the subtitles if your media player allows this. I've done this in the past with excellent results. Though I think you'd need to convert the PGS subtitles found on the blu-ray disc to something like SRT for this to work. But if you watch with subtitles frequently then I think this could be worth your while. Changing the subtitles to yellow for instance, instead of white, would probably go a long way in helping remove this visible artifact. There are fully automated programs out there that will automatically convert PGS to SRT.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1353 on: March 07, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »
One thing you could try, as long as the subtitles aren't encoded into the video itself, is change the color of the subtitles if your media player allows this. I've done this in the past with excellent results. Though I think you'd need to convert the PGS subtitles found on the blu-ray disc to something like SRT for this to work. But if you watch with subtitles frequently then I think this could be worth your while. Changing the subtitles to yellow for instance, instead of white, would probably go a long way in helping remove this visible artifact. There are fully automated programs out there that will automatically convert PGS to SRT.

Usually my subtitles are at the bottom of the screen, and if there are two lines, one is in the black bars on 2.35:1 films. Still easy enough to read on the masking on my electric screen ( which is black paint and not that dark ). they don't seem to be that affected down there.

« Reply #1354 on: March 07, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
Usually my subtitles are at the bottom of the screen, and if there are two lines, one is in the black bars on 2.35:1 films. Still easy enough to read on the masking on my electric screen ( which is black paint and not that dark ). they don't seem to be that affected down there.

That would be terrible for me as I zoom to fill my scope screen. A lot of PC media players and hardware disc players allow you to reposition the subtitles so they're shown only in the active video portion of the image, ie not in the black bar area. I'm using solely my PC for playback and MPC-HC is the program I use and allows a lot of customization to subtitles, including placement, font, size, and color. Bob4K might find such customization helpful. However, ALL dynamic contrast systems from JVC, Sony, Epson and others will show artifacts on 100% white subtitles as the dynamic gamma that goes along with these systems are going to affect 100% white in some form or another. That's why I think changing the color of the subtitles and making sure they're 100% in the active video area of the frame will help lessen how obvious these artifacts are. Of course YMMV. We're all different in how we perceive these things. Some people don't notice it all and others find it extremely annoying.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #1355 on: March 08, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
I'd guess, either you're not noticing it Craig, I can't say I notice it either on my RS600, but I know it does pump.

Or, on the 4500, the subs prevent the DI from activating/closing down entirely.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1356 on: March 08, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
I'd guess, either you're not noticing it Craig, I can't say I notice it either on my RS600, but I know it does pump.

Or, on the 4500, the subs prevent the DI from activating/closing down entirely.

I did test the scene in " Inglorious Bastards " in the bar , which seems to be a notorious DI tripper upper, after the last firmware update. It has subtitles and and a series of scenes that tend to play havoc with DI's. No pumping.

The torture test starts at about 1:55 in. Laser dimming with the current firmware works better than any DI I've had so far. They will never be 100% perfect, but I'm quite pleased with the current state of it on the RS4500. Took a couple of firmware updates.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:57:12 PM by AVSCraig »

woofer

« Reply #1357 on: March 08, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
Same here, cant fault the Laser Dimming.. :)

« Reply #1358 on: March 10, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
I make the PGS from the SRT, so having the SRT I can do pretty much what I like with the subs.

But I don't like yellow subs!

That said, it's no longer a problem at the moment. I'm between houses, without a dedicated room so I'm using a Sony OLED KD-65A1. Real infinite contrast, 99% DCI and and 120FL peak in HDR mode makes me forget its size. Once I get my new house, I will wait for the next gen PJ, going to the current crop would be to much of a let down.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1359 on: March 10, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
You can blame those yellow subtitles on Tarantino !

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1360 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
I'm going to have a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro to test with my RS4500 in a few days. This should be interesting !  :)

« Reply #1361 on: March 13, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »
Sweet!  I'm curious about how both the lens and the processor change things...

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1362 on: March 14, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
I've got my crew of movie watchers coming to see what they think. They aren't home theater nuts, so I'll get a " average Joe " impression too.

Anyone in Northern California that wants to come check it out in person, just let me know !

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #1363 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
You will probably like it so much you'll end up keeping the package.  :-* 8) :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #1364 on: March 16, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
The lens is here !  :)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal