JVC RS4500 Basic Settings / Tips

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
JVC RS4500 Basic Settings / Tips
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:09 PM »
          JVC RS4500 SETTINGS AND NOTES

Kris Deering’s notes -
I use mid laser for both SDR and HDR. The only difference is where I have the aperture set (I calibrated to 16 fL for SDR and 30 fL for HDR). The Natural preset is almost perfect out of the box, just needs a bit of touch up in grayscale but color in the BT709 profile is excellent after greyscale is dialed in. For HDR I use the HDR color profile despite not having quite as much saturation for red as BT2020. One thing I would suggest, take the dark level adjustment in the HDR gamma all the way to max (7). This will not hurt your black floor but it levels out the luminance better and gives HDR images a much better image without looking too dark or overly contrasty. For picture tone I raised it 1 click and I left bright level alone at 0. I think I am running mid laser with aperture fully open for HDR and the laser in mode 2. All standard controls are set to 0.
The standard brightness control should not be touched. It is correct at 0 with black clipped at 16 and 17 is clearly visible. No more issues with near black. The aperture is a single aperture compared to the standard dual iris in the 9000. It is also far more aggressive so you can't dial it down as far and retain the same amount of light output, so don't use previous settings from the other JVC projectors for this.
Noticed some new things today. Looks like the 1080p to 4K scaling in the JVC is doing a better job than both the Oppo and the Lumagen. If I feed a single pixel 1080p pattern to the JVC it looks fantastic, this was one of the first things I checked simply because they always looked so horrific on the Sony's. With a Sony 4K you couldn't even make out the grid and there was a lot of green, pink and yellow banding throughout the image. With the JVC it looks spot on, no discoloration and the grid is clean with fine pixel details easy to see. If I scale the image using the Oppo 105D to 4K, you can still make out the grid but there is discoloration in certain parts. If I use the Lumagen Radiance Pro, there is banding and discoloration in the image and it reminded me of the Sony, though not quite as bad. So from what I've seen so far, the best move for 1080p content to the JVC is straight in and not scaled from an outside source.
http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_uhdhdr-10.html

The single black pixel resolution pattern is a must to check / dial in focus
(Miscellaneous Setup Patterns / Resolution Patterns / Resolution Black Pixels Single)
Check periodically and if using lens memory to switch aspect ratios etc. , with the focus button on the JVC remote.

From Chris Deutsch of JVC
I can give you some ideas that are a blend of my own experience and what Kris would probably tell you.

HD/SDR/REC709:
Natural preset.  Laser Dimming on Auto #2.  Most likely Laser on Medium Power.  Lower Aperture (using a meter) until you get 14-16FL.  If you don’t have a meter, go by your eye.  Brightness and contrast at 0.

UHD/HDR/BT2020:
Use the HDR Picture mode.  Set color to HDR.  Medium Power on Laser.  Laser Dimming on Auto #2.  Aperture all the way open.  Go into ST2084 Gamma setting and boost picture tone somewhere in the +4 to +7 range (look for white clipping), Dark Level all the way up.  Leave bright level as is.  Leave brightness at 0.  Contrast may need 1-2 clicks up.

HDR color gamut is a wider gamut that doesn't use a filter.

When in HDR and on a Sony UHD titles main menu hit 7-6-6-9 and get to the black & white screens to get your clip points.

JVC DLA-RS4500 D-ILA Laser Projector Review Settings
Standard Dynamic Range Images:
Picture Mode: Natural
Color Profile: BT.709
  Color Management: OFF
Color Temp: Custom 1 (6500 profile)
Gamma: Custom 1
  Correction Value: 2.3
  Picture Tone: 0
  Dark Level: 3
  Bright Level: 0
MPC Levels:
Enhance: 0
Smoothing: 0
NR: 0
Clear Motion Drive: Off
Motion Enhance: Off
Low Latency: Off
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 0
Color: 0
Tint: 0
HDMI Mode: Standard
Iris Aperture: mode 2, manual iris -7
Laser Mode: Med

High Dynamic Range Images:
Picture Mode: HDR
Color Profile: HDR
 Color Management: OFF
Color Temp: HDR
Gamma: HDR
 Correction Value: HDR 2084
  Picture Tone: 3
  Dark Level: 7
  Bright Level: 0
MPC Levels:
Enhance: 0
Smoothing: 0
NR: 0
Clear Motion Drive: Off
Motion Enhance: Off
Low Latency: Off
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 0
Color: 0
Tint: 0
HDMI Mode: Standard
Iris Aperture: mode 2, manual iris -4
Laser Mode: Med
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-dla-rs4500-d-ila-projector-review-settings#U7zkA6KkORvc86Ok.99

Question - Since there are 48 laser diodes, and even if one or two go out ( malfunction ), the others continue to work - is there an internal diagnostic or way to determine if any laser diodes are not working? Maybe in the service menu ?
Answer - The current and temperature is monitored in the service menu on the LDs.
Question - Still curious if the loss of lumens is linear, and whether on / off cycles have any impact, like " lamp strikes " do on lamps, on longevity.
Answer - There is no loss of light on turn on and turn off commands.  Loss of light output really depends on how you drive the LDs.

Kris Deering notes – 9 – 16 – 2017                               
For now I've settled on these settings as they give the best balance of what I'm looking for and matching what I see from my OLED (C7 LG). Actually, the projector does a better job with some scenes than the OLED. I have the Panny set to +4 on the slider. This is the ONLY way I could get the shadow detail down low that matches the OLED and/or Blu-ray image with some material. The best sequence for this is the part in The Revenant that I mentioned before when it shows Leo's son laying down and Leo talking behind him.

As for the rest. I am running a zoomed setup right now and I'm in mid laser so my settings are:

Max Brightness 90
Ref White 19 (scale factor approx. 5.3)
BBI 0
BBO .001 (this puts black at 0 NOT .005, I'm to seeing enough "raised" titles to justify the other and the Panny to -1 for brightness fixes any title that does need adjustment)
Hard clip at 2500. With the Panny in +4 this makes clipping 4000 nits on a test pattern due to the Panny.
Set end slope is .75

I'm SUPER happy with these settings for my scope setup. I need to evaluate my flat aspect setup next, but won't get to it until later this week. Probably will be similar though I have a LOT more light to work with so I'm sure the ratio will be slightly different.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:28:24 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal