AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Sony VPL-VW285ES/385ES Thread

Re: Sony VPL-VW285ES/385ES Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Whatever works. I did find that interesting. Everybody wants better HDR !

Get a LED LCD TV!  ;)  :o

But.... size matters!  more! :)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »
Get a LED LCD TV!  ;)  :o

But.... size matters!  more! :)

I prefer projection - still looks better, and it's bigger too. Even with some HDR short comings. A TV just looks like a TV. I don't like light reflecting off the glass. I'll never have a TV in my home theater. It's a theater !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
Whatever works. I did find that interesting. Everybody wants better HDR !

I should have phrased that better.  I didn't mean that it's funny they were using Arves tool. So many Sony projector owners hate JVC products and vice versa. The funny part is that something made for their arch enemy is helping them achieve better HDR performance.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
I should have phrased that better.  I didn't mean that it's funny they were using Arves tool. So many Sony projector owners hate JVC products and vice versa. The funny part is that something made for their arch enemy is helping them achieve better HDR performance.

Ya, I did get the irony. Still, we shouldn't " hate " on other manufacturers - these are just a form of TV. I think everyone just gets upset to find out their new projector isn't the perfect projector they have been searching for. Nobody likes having their flaws pointed out, or their projectors!  :-[ :)

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
Ya, I did get the irony. Still, we shouldn't " hate " on other manufacturers - these are just a form of TV. I think everyone just gets upset to find out their new projector isn't the perfect projector they have been searching for. Nobody likes having their flaws pointed out, or their projectors!  :-[ :)

I get that some people don't like being told their projector has flaws. But I think those are the kinds of people who shouldn't be posting on a forum. The reason why these forums exist is because people are looking to gain knowledge about a product they're interested in buying. When you have people in threads who's only mission is to try and quiet down the criticisms about a product they own, all it does for potential buyers is hide the whole story and truth about that product.

I've said this many tines, but JVC projector owners usually let discussions about negative aspects happen. You only see criticism or backlash if what's being said is just plain wrong or misguided. I don't see the same thing happening in Sony owners threads. Certain people are on a mission to report posts so they're deleted and downplay issues. I don't know specifically why, but if I had to guess it's that they cost more (making it harder to justify/live with the issues) but also that the issues they do have are generally more detrimental to the overall image which make them far more likely to be talked about which means these people are constantly reminded about them. Part of the reason there's so much conflict on the other forum is because there are rock-headed owners who simply won't call a spade a spade and admit that an issue is as prevalent or as intrusive as it actually is. Thus the arguments happen. I'll reference SXRD panel degradation, quality control issues, posterization/banding issues and the most recent being the 4K/60p HDR banding issue. All of these problems have been hushed up or talked about as if they were a non-issue by these people and some people won't stand for that especially when the people trying to hush things up try and tell others that Sony projectors are superior to all others.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »

I did notice they couldn't help but take pot-shots at JVC in the process:
"Creates 1024 (10Bit) steps Gamma curves for Sony-Projectors instead of only 256 (8Bit) curves for JVC projectors"

Personally, I think it's great news.  Actually makes me more likely to get a Sony projector at some point.  I'm really not entirely happy with my JVC, mainly for ergonomic issues, but also how JVC releases firmware updates only in the form of new models.  If Sony (or anyone else) came close to my RS600's image quality I'd happily change.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:47:14 PM by stanger89 »

AVSMike

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
"Creates 1024 (10Bit) steps Gamma curves for Sony-Projectors instead of only 256 (8Bit) curves for JVC projectors"

Personally, I think it's great news.  Actually makes me more likely to get a Sony projector at some point.  I'm really not entirely happy with my JVC, mainly for ergonomic issues, but also how JVC releases firmware updates only in the form of new models.  If Sony (or anyone else) came close to my RS600's image quality I'd happily change.

Firmware updates with Sony are not any better, but the process is better for installation. JVC's will improve, as soon as JVC goes to a new housing.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to spend a lot more money, the Sony's aren't up to the task. You really need to step up to the 885ES or 5000ES to give a comparable image. The 665ES (same as 675ES in principle) did not look better than my RS500 when I did a shootout. I'm curious to see what the shootout happening in Colorado Springs next month will show. They say there will be some blind tests done. I hope they hand out cards to people during the blind tests so they can have people give image characteristic specific ratings before they're told which unit is which. The card could look like:

Projector A:               Projector B:

(Rate 1 to 10: 10 being best)

Perceived Sharpness                ___________              ___________

Perceived Resolution                ___________              ___________

Contrast Performance              ___________              ___________

Motion Performance                 ___________              ___________

3D Performance                       ___________              ___________

Perceived Color Accuracy         ___________              ___________

ect
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

Everybody has their issues. i don't remember Sony issuing a firmware update to fix panel / contrast degradation. The fact is companies need to sell projectors to be able to afford to hire software engineers and people to design better projectors. Oh look - Digital Projection now has a native 8K DLP projector ! Soon everything will once again be obsolete ( including all of your HDMI cables, receivers etc. ). Ain't no firmware update to change that.

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2017, 04:36:43 PM »
Everybody has their issues. i don't remember Sony issuing a firmware update to fix panel / contrast degradation. The fact is companies need to sell projectors to be able to afford to hire software engineers and people to design better projectors. Oh look - Digital Projection now has a native 8K DLP projector ! Soon everything will once again be obsolete ( including all of your HDMI cables, receivers etc. ). Ain't no firmware update to change that.

Software issues are one thing, but hardware issues as big as the one you're referencing is something one could argue shouldn't be there to begin with. Imagine buying a corvette that starts out being able to go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 175mph and a year later that same car goes 0-60 in 9 seconds and can only go 110mph. Would that be acceptable to you especially when it was advertised to do those speeds? Or would it be acceptable for the manufacturer to not even acknowledge publicly the issues and also not really fix the issue over the next several years? I still don't feel 100% comfortable with Sony. While it may be lessened, I doubt degradation is completely gone. Only time will tell...

I wonder if the same guys who give Sony a pass (or try and make it seem as if the issue isn't real) would be doing the same thing if JVC were the ones with the issue? I think not. These people are the reason there's so many arguments on  the other forum. I can tell you now, if it were JVC with these issues I'd be just as vocal about it as I am with Sony. It's unacceptable no matter who has the problem and I would never downplay the issue or try and make it seem as if it was a conspiracy with no validity to it. And unfortunately that's what many people do on the other forum.  Why would Sony fix the problem when they have fanboys who tell people there's no issue to begin with? It's no wonder why this issue was prevalent for as long as it was...(and probably still there to some degree)

Sorry if I'm being aggressive here, but as you can imagine I'm just a bit salty over all of this after having spent years (literally) arguing about this issue with people who've actively tried to make it seem as if the issue wasn't real. The same people also do the same thing about other SXRD related issues. The kicker is, if they treated the issues like most JVC owners do by acknowledging them and discussing them openly, there would be less arguments and the issues would more than likely be resolved much faster. But they won't do that because they own a "perfect" projector. It's really sad.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:24:48 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »
Ya, a guy in the VW885 thread just said that contrast loss in previous Sony's is just a rumor. One thing I haven't heard about for quite a while is the dreaded " pink stripe " JVC optical block issue. Seems like that may be far less common these days.

AVSMike

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
Ya, a guy in the VW885 thread just said that contrast loss in previous Sony's is just a rumor. One thing I haven't heard about for quite a while is the dreaded " pink stripe " JVC optical block issue. Seems like that may be far less common these days.

That issue went away starting with the RS40.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »
That issue went away starting with the RS40.

Seems like that was more a problem with models like the RS25.

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »
That is a problem that can happen with any 3-chip design. While it was more prevalent on the (much) older JVC models, I've still seen people show photos of it happening on current Epson and Sony models. I would imagine it happens more often where a projector gets dusty internally and/or is being used in a room without proper cooling/ventilation. The glue holding the block together will break down faster if it's put under a lot of heat for a long period of time. I actually have an air purifier going constantly when no one is in the room so that dust buildup in the projector doesn't happen as fast and my room is air conditioned in the summer.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
I was only talking about the JVC's. Before the RS40, you fairly regularly read about optical block failure on the JVC's. After the RS40, you do not see people talking about this issue.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal