AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS440 / 540 / 640 projectors

Re: JVC RS440 / 540 / 640 projectors
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
As a precaution I would backup the profiles the RS540 already has before you run the auto-cal process. One of the issues with the Auto-Cal feature is that the compatible meters list is small and the more common meters people use are often not particularly accurate. I think someone did a study based on several of the Sypder meters and only a few of them he tested out of the bunch he had were accurate enough to actually help the out of the box performance through Auto-Cal and by using an inaccurate Spyder meter actually made the image worse. So tread lightly and make sure the image actually looks better after you've run the Auto-Cal software and if it doesn't load the saved out of the box profiles back on to the RS540.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
As a precaution I would backup the profiles the RS540 already has before you run the auto-cal process. One of the issues with the Auto-Cal feature is that the compatible meters list is small and the more common meters people use are often not particularly accurate. I think someone did a study based on several of the Sypder meters and only a few of them he tested out of the bunch he had were accurate enough to actually help the out of the box performance through Auto-Cal and by using an inaccurate Spyder meter actually made the image worse. So tread lightly and make sure the image actually looks better after you've run the Auto-Cal software and if it doesn't load the saved out of the box profiles back on to the RS540.

Thanks for the very good advice !

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »

This is a really good point.  A lot of guys who only use the Spyder don't realize this.

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good replacement bulb-only source for these projectors? I plan on reusing the housing. Or I should say for the past 3 generations of JVC projectors as they all use the same one.

A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »
We do have a vendor that will sell just the bulb, but I don't believe they sell to consumers - it is considerably less expensive to buy without the housing.
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
We do have a vendor that will sell just the bulb, but I don't believe they sell to consumers - it is considerably less expensive to buy without the housing.

I would be interested on this option as well, as I am technician and would be able to replace it in the housing. Is it the original JVC bulb though ?

bmoney

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
is it involved to replace just the bulb?
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »

I just checked Professional Lamps - no bare lamps for the JVC's. Not sure why. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
I would be interested on this option as well, as I am technician and would be able to replace it in the housing. Is it the original JVC bulb though ?
[/b]

That is always the question.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
I was going to start a " JVC Red Projector Owner's Thread ". But it would be very lonely in there.  ;D In the US, a club of three ! We have one available !

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »
Hi guys, I decided to post on this forum because it seems a bit more civil in here......The other one seems to be a bit chaotic for my taste, even though I go there for info.....Anyway I want to share that I am now in th "440 club".....I purchased a new RS440 yesterday........I was fortunate enough to be able to pick it up after a saw a demo in one of the AVS Science showrooms........I live within driving distance(60 miles).......Thanks to Mike Garrett for the great deal....He gave me five choices, I REALLY wanted the B-stock 520, but it was a hair over my budget, because I needed a mount, and of course, the sales tax for NY.......I then decided the best choice would be the 440 because it was new, was this year's model, and has a 3-year warranty.......

I think I'll be happy with this unit......I need to share the experience in the showroom.......There are two of them, one has an Epson(forget the model) and a JVC RS520( which I requested to be demoed)........the other was set up with a scope screen with an RS 4500 providing the picture. (what a freaking BEAST that thing is)........The room with the 520, to my surprise, was not a bat-cave......it had light colored walls, ceiling, and rug........the guy performing the demo was awesome, answered all my questions the best he could.......he fired up the 520, darkened the room and I was blown away by total JVC awesomeness.......I was more impressed because the room had light walls and rug, the black levels in the picture were not affected, it looked gorgeous......I thought reflected light from the walls and ceiling would affect it, but it didn't.  it had a WHITE 120 inch 16:9 screen......that REALLY convinced me to get one, because my media room is similar.......Then, I checked out the other room, he showed a demo of ATMOS and the 4500 in action........Words cannot describe what I saw and heard........all in all, I had a great experience purchasing my projector and can't wait to get it installed and ask the members here about profiles, gamma curves, and all the good stuff......Thanks again to Mike and the guy at the showroom( I can't remember his name, sorry, old age) for a wonderful experience....I know this is long, but I wanted to share the total experience I had.......

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »
AVScience are great to deal with all around. The best part about your purchase is the post-purchase support. That alone is well worth buying from AVScience.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »
Yeah, both rooms look good, but the room the 4500 is in is fantastic. :)
Probably was Jason that gave you the demo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:37:26 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
yeah, it was.........above my pay grade, though....LOL ::) Thanks for giving me the name of the guy who did the demo, yes, it was Jason.....Did an awesome job.....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:26:47 PM by donthetech »

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
yeah, it was.........above my pay grade, though....LOL ::) Thanks for giving me the name of the guy who did the demo, yes, it was Jason.....Did an awesome job.....

MY, MY, how things have changed!!!! Now there are native 4k units!!!! geez, talk about a little buyer's remorse.....and just to think I am coming into a little prosperity......My unit is nearly 3 months old, only 190 hrs. on it.......Darn.....Used one of the HDR curves on it and puts out a great image.....but still....

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal