AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS440 / 540 / 640 projectors

Re: JVC RS440 / 540 / 640 projectors
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
Hello, new member here. I currently have an Epson 6030 for 4 years which I continue to enjoy but am ready to step up to 4K and HDR. I have a dedicated room with no windows but the walls are not dark. The ceiling is the standard white and walls are some shade of brown almond along that line. The screen is 123" Stewart Cima.

I only use it for watching movies on disc. The occasional Netflix if I'm in the mood.

I've pretty well decided it will be the RS440 or RS540. But I just can't make up my mind between them.
Of course I understand the RS540 will be better but I am not a critical viewer and am wondering if it would be better for me to save the $1000. Will I really notice the difference in the blacks etc? Actually it's not something I think about even when watching standard BRDs on my Epson. Maybe I'm answering my own questions, I don't know.

Still does anyone have any advice? The emotional side says get the 540 and be happy but the brain says get the 440.

One additional technical question if anyone can answer.
My Epson has a dynamic contrast of 600,000:1. From what I understand the native contrast of the RS440 is 40,000:1 which translates to maybe a dynamic contrast of 400,000:1. Doesn't this mean my Epson should have slightly better blacks? Or is that not how it works?

Go Up