AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Whats the last Bluray you watched?

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Whats the last Bluray you watched?
« Reply #390 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »
I just watched Hugo tonight.  I was shocked by how good it looked.  Exceptionally sharp and detailed, wonderfully saturated colors, excellent detail for both shadow and highlights.  I could have been convinced it was 4k if I didn't know better.

And the soundtrack was just as impressive.  Lots of music, which sounded incredibly real and natural, along with well defined sound effects and low frequency depth when the scene needed it.

The story was also quite good, with a very 'magical' quality.  Great family movie as well.

I love Hugo ! Great movie. If you get this movie and watch it afterwards as a double feature ( it's only 15 minutes long ), it will give you an entirely new appreciation of Martin Scorsese's appreciation of Georges Melies work and what a tribute Hugo really is. And you get to see a movie that's 116 years old too - one of the first films ever made !

I need to watch this again soon - thanks for the reminder !

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-Blu-ray/197021/#Review
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2018, 06:48:12 AM »
I love Hugo ! Great movie. If you get this movie and watch it afterwards as a double feature ( it's only 15 minutes long ), it will give you an entirely new appreciation of Martin Scorsese's appreciation of Georges Melies work and what a tribute Hugo really is. And you get to see a movie that's 116 years old too - one of the first films ever made !

I need to watch this again soon - thanks for the reminder !

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-Blu-ray/197021/#Review

Great idea!  The Blu-ray is kind of pricey for 15 minutes, but it is available on Amazon Prime, so I'll start there.  The b/w version is also on Prime.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »
Great idea!  The Blu-ray is kind of pricey for 15 minutes, but it is available on Amazon Prime, so I'll start there.  The b/w version is also on Prime.

This is how we finance film restoration ! It's how I support " the arts " !  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:32:53 PM by AVSCraig »

AVSMike

« Reply #393 on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:30 AM »
Watched How to Train Your Dragon, The Hidden World. HDR looked very good. The color and pop of this movie was really good. I also watched Venom. Venom has been out for a while and I could not remember if I had seen it or not, so kept passing it up. Finally rented it last night. Glad I did. Liked the movie.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
Watched Edward Scissorhands last night with friends in my home theater. What a great, classic movie ! I love pulling out old favorites to watch. It's what's great about having a home theater. Actually looked really good on my RS4500 !

Barry

« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »
Avengers 4k

I REALLY did not intend to watch the Marvel Universe in order. But a few new 4Ks came out and I started doing just that.

I am so ENJOYING 4K that every night I seem to be putting on a movie or half of one and picking up the conclusion the next night. How many of us do that?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »
Avengers 4k

I REALLY did not intend to watch the Marvel Universe in order. But a few new 4Ks came out and I started doing just that.

I am so ENJOYING 4K that every night I seem to be putting on a movie or half of one and picking up the conclusion the next night. How many of us do that?

I plan on doing just that. I missed quite a few of them, and my movie nut buddy told me which ones were most important - since I'm not interested in all 22. So here is my line up - to start soon, all now on 4K Blu-ray. Maybe after I finish a few audio improvements - 

Marvel Movies to watch before Endgame - the Spaghetti Order:

Iron Man (2008 )
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Captain America : Civil War
Black Panther (2018 )
Doctor Strange (2016)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War (2018 )
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018 ) 
Captain Marvel (2019)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Barry

« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2019, 11:41:12 PM »
Gosh, you really need to include Thor. Thor and especially Loki and the introduction of the Cosmic Cube is essential!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #398 on: October 26, 2019, 01:15:07 AM »
Gosh, you really need to include Thor. Thor and especially Loki and the introduction of the Cosmic Cube is essential!
Alright - you talked me into it. Found it for under $20.00 on 4K BR. Where would you slot it into that list ? 

Barry

« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
After Ironman

Barry

« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
Craig:
I have a different take on these movies and that’s okay. First, I did an overview of them, months ago, for our site: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2141.0

You mentioned that your buddy told you of, “The MOST IMPORTANT” one to watch.  If that is your goal, that is fine. It would not be mine.

I like to watch “good movies,” movies that I enjoy. (Forgive me Martin Scorsese). And I only didn’t like three of them: Thor Dark World, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3.  Well half of Iron Man 3.

Your list leaves out BOTH Spider-Man movies, which are very popular. And the very last one is an epilogue to Endgame. Both were fun movies.

I enjoyed the first Ant-Man because it was a comedic heist movie. Avengers: Ultron was not as good as the first Avengers movie, but was a fun watch. The Incredible Hulk move could have been better, but it was an intriguing piece to the puzzle that added more about the super-soldier program, SHIELD and a surprise ending that, for the first time, had the star of one Marvel movie (Robert Downey Jr. appear, as his character, at the end of the movie.)

But if you’d like, I can keep you up to date on what “Marvel Universe” pieces you many miss.  For example, Iron Man 2 develops SHIELD and gives the group its name. Here it begins to supersede the FBI and CIA.  It also shows Colson role in it. The Black Widow is introduced and she is a SHIELD agent. Colson is called away to New Mexico where he finds the immovable hammer of Thor in the desert. And Pepper and Tony develop their relationship.

As for Iron Man 3: If it is ever on cable or something, watch the first hour. It is Downey as his best. A great performance of Tony Stark, not Iron Man, that shows how much the character has changed.  This becomes an important part of Endgame.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
I have Iron Man 2 and 3, but didn't like them enough to watch them again any time soon. I'm not buying them on 4K.

Not really into Spiderman at all. Everyone has to draw the line somewhere. 

I have Avengers: Age of Ultron - a bunch on my list I've never seen but now have on 4K. I just need 2 - 3 weeks free to run a Marvel film festival ( and have Thor arrive ). 

Barry

« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2019, 07:57:27 PM »
Just enjoy what you have. But remember, if you let Thanos do a finger snap you may lose half of your collection!

« Reply #403 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
I have Iron Man 2 and 3, but didn't like them enough to watch them again any time soon. I'm not buying them on 4K.

Not really into Spiderman at all. Everyone has to draw the line somewhere.

I have Avengers: Age of Ultron - a bunch on my list I've never seen but now have on 4K. I just need 2 - 3 weeks free to run a Marvel film festival ( and have Thor arrive ).
Iron Man 3 is the only Marvel movie I don't own and I'll probably ask for the UHD for Christmas since I don't own it. I'm not "upgrading" any of my Blu-ray copies to 4K since they are all upconversions anyway. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
Iron Man 3 is the only Marvel movie I don't own and I'll probably ask for the UHD for Christmas since I don't own it. I'm not "upgrading" any of my Blu-ray copies to 4K since they are all upconversions anyway.
With HDR though they should be better. I was missing 1/2 of these anyway, so I didn't have to upgrade those. I have all of these now on 4K. This will be a great run - I need my bass traps and those additional SB2000's first !  

Iron Man (2008 )
Thor - thanks to Barry 
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Captain America : Civil War
Black Panther (2018 )
Doctor Strange (2016)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War (2018 )
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018 )
Captain Marvel (2019)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal