AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Recommendations?

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
Recommendations?
« on: December 02, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
I came to this topic hoping for good input, but instead found nothing.  I currenly have a Vizio M55-C2 -- good TV, but sadly deficient when it comes to what has developed in the 4K UHD bluray space.  My plan all along was to wait a year or more, then get a market leader.  Now it's been a year, I'm ready to buy next Spring (or so), but -- no good recs here?

To make 4K UHD TV worthwhile, it's now clear that it must support HDR,  WCG and (ideally) both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  That pretty much pushes you to the 2017 models (for DV), yet no one really knows how well DV will take, so a good price on a really good 2016 model is well worth a look.  Due to the now well-known limitations of Vizio (HRD is fixed for 2016, but what else lurks?), I will leave those models out.

So, any recommendations?

Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Re: Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
When we had our Vizio... I liked it, but from what I understand it is hit or miss on getting a good one as they keep switching parts manufacturers by who gives them the best deal that day. When we bought our 4K Fp we purchased a LG, and it had a great picture, but withing the first 90 days it started to develop a green grid (luckily it was a bit before the last return date), and it went to full green grid screen in a couple of days afterwards. I figured I would try Samsung (usually I change brands when I have problems with a brand), and it is nice, but the picture is not as good as the LG was and the voice control of the LG was a nice feature we no longer have. I don't know what i would do now if i was to buy a new 4K set as the Samsung is not the best IMO (maybe a new one would look better). I will be following your thread to see what other suggest to you, and see what your results are.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

richlife69

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »
My Vizio has been excellent and has gotten really good PQ reviews.  The issue with various lower end Vizios (this excludes most 2016 P-series) is that they don't support HRD.  So you can't get all the benefits of 4K.  I appreciate even this comment, ellis.  My older 3D LG has been fine, but just HDTV.  Samsung is fairly high on my list, but you've given me something to watch out for.  What sucks is that showrooms are a poor place to compare tvs and what you actually get may end up like your LG.  That's one reason Costco is now high on my list of vendors -- their return policy is great and they add an extra year to the warranty. 

But I suspect I'll be off to my area HT boutique to evaluate and see what they will do about that Costco price and advantage edge.  After all, 20 years ago they started me on this high end audio and then HT kick...
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
I came to this topic hoping for good input, but instead found nothing.  I currenly have a Vizio M55-C2 -- good TV, but sadly deficient when it comes to what has developed in the 4K UHD bluray space.  My plan all along was to wait a year or more, then get a market leader.  Now it's been a year, I'm ready to buy next Spring (or so), but -- no good recs here?

To make 4K UHD TV worthwhile, it's now clear that it must support HDR,  WCG and (ideally) both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  That pretty much pushes you to the 2017 models (for DV), yet no one really knows how well DV will take, so a good price on a really good 2016 model is well worth a look.  Due to the now well-known limitations of Vizio (HRD is fixed for 2016, but what else lurks?), I will leave those models out.

So, any recommendations?

Since you want a UHD TV with DolbyVision that basically limits your choices to Vizio and LG.  I would suggest you take a close look a the latest Vizio P series where, for example, a 65" will cost you just under $2K.  LG in addition to their better LCD/LED models that support DolbyVision also have OLED UHD TVs with DolbyVision.  Their entry-level OLED B-series offer a great picture for the money and the 65" (model 65B6P) sells for around $3K.  The HDR LCD/LED TVs will have brigher HDR image highlights but the OLEDS have much better native contrast for true blacks that are unmatched by any LCD/LED display.

Below are a couple of links to the Vizio and LG web pages:

https://www.vizio.com/p-series

http://www.lg.com/us/oled-tvs?&cmpid=sem_(HE)-TV-AON-GGL-Srch-Generic-OLED-Only-BMM_+oled&gclid=COH96ce23dACFRKdgQodBegM7A&gclsrc=ds

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:18:03 AM by Ron Jones »
Ron Jones
Reviewer/Writer/Blogger for Projector Reviews
http://www.projectorreviews.com

richlife69

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
Thanks for those thoughts -- they are close to my own thoughts.  But notice that I said "ideally" for DV.  It's so uncertain at this point just who will support it and what software will be available, that I consider this more "nice to have".  The top runner in 2016 models is the Samsung KS9500.  Good comparative reviews between it and the LG OLEDs. 

And then there are the possibilities for 2017.  Would take a hit on cost, but depending on what shows up in the next few months, it might be worth it.  Always lingering in my mind though, is that a good 2016 price could very well make it worthwhile to see how even the longer term evolves.

Either way, the campaign to prepare my very reluctant wife ("we just got a new TV last year") is in full swing.   :-X 

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:59 PM »
Thanks for those thoughts -- they are close to my own thoughts.  But notice that I said "ideally" for DV.  It's so uncertain at this point just who will support it and what software will be available, that I consider this more "nice to have".  The top runner in 2016 models is the Samsung KS9500.  Good comparative reviews between it and the LG OLEDs. 

And then there are the possibilities for 2017.  Would take a hit on cost, but depending on what shows up in the next few months, it might be worth it.  Always lingering in my mind though, is that a good 2016 price could very well make it worthwhile to see how even the longer term evolves.

Either way, the campaign to prepare my very reluctant wife ("we just got a new TV last year") is in full swing.   :-X

X 10 here!

I've been on the fence as well only I haven't jumped into the 4k realm yet. I thought this year would be the one so I've waited until now. Viewing most of the LED 4ks looked very nice but didn't give me the feeling that YES, this awesome, definitely worth the investment! That is, until I viewed the LG OLEDs... they looked liked like the next leap in technology.

If I wasn't such a tech junky, I would wait until 2018. I think then is when the prices will come down and the tech will have developed true standards. but, I have the itch so I think I'll get the low end LG OLED B series knowing full well that I will definitely have to upgrade in two years.

since you already have a 4k, you might want to hang on and listen to your wife or else you will have to revisit this in two more years.

easier said than done right ;)

richlife69

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »
X 10 here!
since you already have a 4k, you might want to hang on and listen to your wife or else you will have to revisit this in two more years.

easier said than done right ;)

Duh!  YES!! ;D ::)

My upscaling tv even without the benefit of HRD WCG has been a true improvement.  I don't think waiting is on the agenda.  Oh, wait -- it's ME we're talking about.  Definitely NOT on the agenda.

Frankly with Sony jumping in on OLED and the really good reviews for LCD Quantum Dot, I think there is valid reason to get in this Spring.  I got a good price on my Vizio and will not lose a lot making it my 2nd tv (replacing an old LG 3D that seldom gets used). 

NBPk402

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
I am still amazed at how well the 4K UHDTV is at upscaling old TV shows. They much better than i had ever seen them before.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »
I am still amazed at how well the 4K UHDTV is at upscaling old TV shows. They much better than i had ever seen them before.

You bought a 4K UHD TV, and you are watching " I Love Lucy " reruns on it ?

( I just couldn't help it Ron - ha ! )
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:57:11 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
You bought a 4K UHD TV, and you are watching " I Love Lucy " reruns on it ?

( I just couldn't help it Ron - ha ! )
That's OK Craig, I am not watching Lucy, but some of the old black, and white stuff upscaled looks like HD to me. At certain times of the day (lunch) there is absolutely nothing worth watching on OTA IMO, and the old "Decades" channel has some nice old stuff on it. :)

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
I've got the Vizio P65 arriving any day now! Can't wait
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

richlife69

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
I've got the Vizio P65 arriving any day now! Can't wait

I hope you'll give us (me!) your thoughts about it.  Did you look at others also? 

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:06:55 AM »
I hope you'll give us (me!) your thoughts about it.  Did you look at others also?

I was also thinking of getting the LG OLED but I couldn't justify the price difference for now. I got the P65 in last night and set it up and just did some quick and dirty calibration and first impressions are WOW! I only had time to sample a few minutes of Lego Movie and Peanuts 4k blu-ray but both looked phenomenal, especially Peanuts. I'll put the meter on it and do a proper SDR calibration this weekend and try to dig into calibrating HDR. I also have a free download of Mad Max Dolby Vision so I'll check that out and see how it compares to the HDR version.
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

Spike

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
I purchased the Samsung UN65JS9000.  It has HDR capability, it is a curved tv, which I didn't think I'd like, but now I absolutely love it now, and it has 4 HDMI ports, among many other features.  I've had it for about a year, got it when it was first released. When it came out it was considered one of the best out there. The reviews on it are very good too. I love it, and I recommend you give it a look over to see what you think.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

Spike
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:43:02 PM by Spike »
Cubs Fan Since Birth! Finally Rewarded.. Go Cubs!
Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
Favorite Streaming Service: Deezer through Heos

richlife69

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »
I was also thinking of getting the LG OLED but I couldn't justify the price difference for now. I got the P65 in last night and set it up and just did some quick and dirty calibration and first impressions are WOW! I only had time to sample a few minutes of Lego Movie and Peanuts 4k blu-ray but both looked phenomenal, especially Peanuts. I'll put the meter on it and do a proper SDR calibration this weekend and try to dig into calibrating HDR. I also have a free download of Mad Max Dolby Vision so I'll check that out and see how it compares to the HDR version.

Yeah, between "unproven"  (who knows?) and price  in addition to my bright room, OLED is just pretty if.  Glad to know this one is pleasing.

I've read some things that suggest NOT calibrating these tvs that are HDR capable as the SDR standard is questionable with HDR and there is as yet no HDR standard.  The advice was to leave them as setup by the manufacturer who has them ready for HDR whose headers include the technical setup.

I purchased the Samsung UN65JS9000.  It has HDR capability, it is a curved tv, which I didn't think I'd like, but now I absolutely love it now, and it has 4 HDMI ports, among many other features.  I've had it for about a year, got it when it was first released. When it came out it was considered one of the best out there. The reviews on it are very good too. I love it, and I recommend you give it a look over to see what you think.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

Spike

Thanks for the comment about now liking the curved screen.  Hesitation over that has been my greatest hold back on this one.  I really need to see them out of the big box showroom.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal