AVS Discussions

General => Home Theater Misc. => Topic started by: AVSToeJo on May 19, 2026, 03:16:07 PM

Title: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: AVSToeJo on May 19, 2026, 03:16:07 PM
My wife loves a good movie. She just knows what she likes and dislikes but has no clue about what goes into an amazing home theater, other than the money I spend for the next amazing component. She is always asking me, "Will I see or hear a difference?" 

I see and hear the difference. But rarely has she. The only time she has truly looked at me and said she noticed a difference and it was impressive was when I added Kaleidescape. She is a huge "Wizard of Oz" fan. And the first movie we watched on it was "Wicked for Good" 

She sat and watched that movie begining to end and never said a word. I watched her and listened to sounds that I had never heard. When it was over she looked up and me and said "Wow, I've never heard anything like that down here ever. Incredible" I finally passed "The Wife Test." 

Have any of you had a similar experience and if so, what was the thing that made the difference?
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: SRW1000 on May 19, 2026, 05:25:44 PM
I'm fortunate that my wife loves movies as much as I do and will take notice of how things look and sound.  We're often turning to each other saying that something looks fantastic or sounds amazing.  It would be hard to get full buy-in for a theater without that same appreciation.

On the flip side, she has zero interest in any of the electronics or other equipment involved.  She won't even turn the system on!  
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: AVSLaurie on May 19, 2026, 08:11:22 PM
On the flip side, she has zero interest in any of the electronics or other equipment involved.  She won't even turn the system on! 
Dare l say that l may not even know how to turn the system on? It is so much easier to bellow “Marc!” ;D
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: David Vaughn on May 19, 2026, 10:07:47 PM
It never fails that if I'm out of town or at a friends, I'll get a text asking "how do I....". In fact, just Saturday night I was playing poker with some friends and I get a text asking "How do I get to the streaming apps?" even though I've told her countless times how to do it. ;D
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: Paul Heroy on May 20, 2026, 01:16:58 AM
Dare l say that l may not even know how to turn the system on? It is so much easier to bellow “Marc!” ;D
LOL, that's my wife... I'm her voice activated remote! :P

She definitely isn't concerned with the gear, tolerates is more like it. But then I'll occasionally catch her in a brag about it in some conversation about what she told a coworker, which I find highly amusing.
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: bmoney on May 20, 2026, 06:07:36 AM
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that 
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: AVSLaurie on May 20, 2026, 07:57:25 AM
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that
Get out of town! It is such a great experience. Maybe you aren't watching movies she might like? 
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: AVSToeJo on May 20, 2026, 09:12:24 AM
LOL, that's my wife... I'm her voice activated remote! :P

She definitely isn't concerned with the gear, tolerates is more like it. But then I'll occasionally catch her in a brag about it in some conversation about what she told a coworker, which I find highly amusing.
I wonder if there ever has been a "wife approved" remote control? The last one I had that she would operate was a URC MX-500. 
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: AVSToeJo on May 20, 2026, 09:13:38 AM
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that
That's a bummer. Who do you watch with? Friends, kids?
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: bmoney on May 20, 2026, 12:58:52 PM
That's a bummer. Who do you watch with? Friends, kids?
98% of the time by myself.  the other 2% us with my kids
Title: Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
Post by: bmoney on May 20, 2026, 12:59:13 PM
Get out of town! It is such a great experience. Maybe you aren't watching movies she might like?
she says it makes her feel claustraphobic  its not the movies 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal