AVS Discussions

General => Home Theater Misc. => Topic started by: HomeTheaterGuy on May 19, 2026, 09:16:27 AM

Title: Music listening in your theater
Post by: HomeTheaterGuy on May 19, 2026, 09:16:27 AM
Do you listen to music in your theater? What surround mode do you use? I use plain old stereo mode myself.
Title: Re: Music listening in your theater
Post by: David Vaughn on May 19, 2026, 12:11:56 PM
Do you listen to music in your theater? What surround mode do you use? I use plain old stereo mode myself.
Very rarely...if I do, it's mostly concert videos on Blu-ray and occasionally a DVD (that isn't available on Blu-ray). 
Title: Re: Music listening in your theater
Post by: bmoney on May 19, 2026, 02:01:14 PM
on occasion i do.  I use bluOS in my NAD AVR.  and just use stereo
Title: Re: Music listening in your theater
Post by: AVSToeJo on May 19, 2026, 03:04:46 PM
I like to use "All Chan. stereo."
Title: Re: Music listening in your theater
Post by: SRW1000 on May 19, 2026, 05:20:33 PM
I will listen to music, but not often.

If I'm listening by myself, it's just in stereo.  The imaging is perfect for anyone sitting in the sweet spot.  

If others are present, I'll switch to Auro's upmixer.  It still preserves the center image for everyone while also adding some ambiance.  
Title: Re: Music listening in your theater
Post by: Barry on May 19, 2026, 10:12:53 PM
I often listen to music on my system. In fact, the room was set up to be my music room before they invented DVDs. The Esoteric Disc Play sounds great when it plays a CD, but it’s really outstanding when it plays an SACD. SACD’s produce the best sound of music I have experienced.

It has a DAC That my 15 year-old Sonos feeds into. On that we often listen to XM radio, and other apps such as Pandora.

Next is a little bit of sadness. I have an Aurender Streamer which I use to get FM stations from around the world. Sadly, where I live, they no longer have music stations that I had always loved. So I use the Airender and I get FM stations from around the country and around the world that played the music that I like.

The sad part is several decades ago. I saved up and got a great FM tuner, a Day Sequrra. and I put up an antenna on the roof.  well, I just don’t use it anymore. It just lies there.

I also have from 40 years ago my record player, but I seldom use it. well, I almost never use it now.

finally, there are some great recordings of concerts and such that are on a Blu-ray and 4K that have wonderful sound to them. but here you listen and you watch. For most things, I listen and stereo, however, many of the Blu-rays I listen to and how they present it, which is usually five channels

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal