AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on May 17, 2026, 07:58:44 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/s2GdXjv.jpeg)
Studio: Warner
Release Date: May 19, 2026
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5
Plot
Based on the popular Japanese cartoon, Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) is a natural behind the wheel of his Mach 5. His loyalty to the family racing business, led by his father (John Goodman), is put to the test when Arnold Royalton (Roger Allam) attempts to lure Speed to the Royalton Industries race team. When Speed declines, Speed joins forces with the mysterious Racer X (Matthew Fox) in order to save the family business and protect the sport he loves.
My Thoughts
I grew up a big fan of the “Speed Racer” cartoon and even bought the series on DVD for my kids to watch when they were young and they enjoyed it as well. When I heard the Wachowski brothers (now “sisters”) were going to bring the cartoon to life with a live-action take on the character nearly 20 years ago, I was excited to see what the visionary filmmakers could do.
I reviewed the Blu-ray for Home Theater Magazine back in 2008 and much of what I said back then holds true today. From the opening credits it’s easy to see that the filmmakers were going to remain true to its cartoon roots—for good and for bad. Visually, the movie is just stunning and the 4K just ups the ante with brilliant colors, cutting-edge CGI work, and a surprisingly entertaining, yet anti-capitalist, story. The moral within is to believe in yourself and not let money and power corrupt, which I take no umbrage with, but the evil corporation depicted makes the choice pretty simple for Speed. There really isn’t a gray area here.
While the old VC-1 presentation was considered one of the best transfers at the time of its release, it pales in comparison to this 4K release which has been newly remastered. It helps that the style of the cinematography is made to impress—it looks like the color palette is based on a bag of Skittles (I had read this years ago from another review and just had to borrow the phrase because it’s dead-on correct) and the virtual CG world comes to life with a pristine print lacking any grain or blemishes. The color palette bursts off the screen with an audacious use of primary colors, black levels are inky and deep, which provides a surreal viewing experience that must be seen to be belied. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but grab a chair and drink up the stunning visuals.
One of the major disappointments with the original Blu-ray release was the lack of a lossless audio track. It was a measly 640kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 mix which was my only real criticism of the disc at the time. Thankfully that has been rectified here with the original theatrical track in DTS-HD MA and a reference-quality Dolby Atmos remix, which is now my preferred way to experience the movie. Bass response is outstanding and unlike the lossless mix, the highs don’t sound strained and abrasive—they are audibly pleasing and had me grinning from ear-to-ear. The aggressive use of surrounds provides an enveloping soundstage, panning effects move throughout the room seamlessly and when things get crazy on screen the audio track is able to keep up without breaking a sweat.
Video 10/10
Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
- Fast/Future/Family: Speed Racer (New)
- Spritle in the Big Leagues!
- Speed Racer: Ramping Up!
- Speed Racer: Supercharged!
- Speed Racer: Car-Fu Cinema
- Speed Racer: Wonderful World of Racing, The Amazing Racer Family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w)
Conclusion
The movie was widely panned back in 2008, but I was a fan from the start and I’m sure nostalgia was part of the reason. My original review was 4/5 and as I’ve grown older, I guess I’m more critical of the film and lowered it by half a point. Thankfully, the film has somewhat blossomed as time has gone on and Wachowski’s deserve credit for taking a campy 1960s cartoon and were able to bring it to life with a mesmerizing visual style that still looks new and fresh 18 years after it hit theaters. If you’ve never seen it or want to give it a revisit the 4K is the only way to watch the film if you want the very best video and audio experience. Definitely give it a chance if the critics scared you off back in the day because it’s well worth the time invested and even if you don’t like it, you’ll end up with one hell of a demo disc. Highly recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(I utilized Portrait Displays' (https://www.portrait.com/) Calman color calibration software)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Thanks for the review, David. I'm one of those guys who loved the cartoon as a kid but skipped the movie due to the critical response and the vibe from the trailers. I'll have to give it a chance in 4K.
-
When j saw this I was thinking need for speed it had awesome sound. Then I read your review. Nope not that one hahah
Thanks for the review
-
I found the movie to be quite the visual spectacle. Definitely worth the view!
-
I remember the hype over this, and then the mediocre reviews as David mentioned - and I'm not 100% sure but I think I ended up skipping it completely due to that. But maybe now on 4K, it'll be worth a viewing. Adding to my "watch for a discount" list!
-
I remember the hype over this, and then the mediocre reviews as David mentioned - and I'm not 100% sure but I think I ended up skipping it completely due to that. But maybe now on 4K, it'll be worth a viewing. Adding to my "watch for a discount" list!
It's not a great film, but completely watchable and enjoyable. Even with its anti-capitalist message, this capitalist still enjoyed it.