AVS Discussions

General => Misc. Fun Stuff => Topic started by: Barry on November 22, 2025, 04:48:58 PM

Title: 2 questions
Post by: Barry on November 22, 2025, 04:48:58 PM
This is a bit silly, I admit it.

I check TCM every week. This week they are showing Swing Shift, a movie that I liked, but was a box office bomb.

So let me ask a question: what movie do you like that was a box office bomb? My biggest answer would be “Pennies from Heaven” with Steve Martin. I liked it a lot. No one else did.

Come to think of it let me ask the question in reverse: what movie did you dislike that was a big hit? For me that would be interstellar. How about you?
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: bmoney on November 22, 2025, 06:36:37 PM
Not a fan of Avatar 

I can’t think of a box office bomb tho. 
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: SRW1000 on November 22, 2025, 07:12:31 PM
Put me on the list of people that didn't like Avatar, as well.

I'll also add The Force Awakens to the list.

As far as bombs that I liked, there aren't a lot, but I did enjoy The Chronicles of Riddick quite a bit.
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: Barry on November 22, 2025, 07:17:06 PM
P

I'll also add The Force Awakens to the list.

As far as bombs that I liked, there aren't a lot, but I did enjoy The Chronicles of Riddick quite a bit.
I am not a fan of the first three chapters of Star Wars, beginning with the Phantom Menace
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: SRW1000 on November 22, 2025, 07:38:27 PM
I am not a fan of the first three chapters of Star Wars, beginning with the Phantom Menace
I liked Episodes I - III, but Disney's trilogy went downhill with every subsequent entry.
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: Barry on November 22, 2025, 07:45:17 PM
I liked Episodes I - III, but Disney's trilogy went downhill with every subsequent entry.
Totally agree!
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: AVSLaurie on November 22, 2025, 09:03:04 PM
Add me to the Avatar list, it was good but … meh

The bomb that l really enjoyed was the Green Lantern, couldn’t understand why everybody dissed it. 
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: David Vaughn on November 22, 2025, 10:06:20 PM
Add me to the Avatar list, it was good but … meh

The bomb that l really enjoyed was the Green Lantern, couldn’t understand why everybody dissed it.
Admit it, you have a crush on Ryan Reynolds ;)
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: AVSLaurie on November 23, 2025, 09:17:29 AM
Guilty as charged :-*
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: David Vaughn on November 23, 2025, 12:33:03 PM
Those are tough questions Barry. I guess the "bomb" would be Waterworld. As far as the hit that I didn't like at all, I guess would be Magnolia. While it wasn't a blockbuster, the critics loved it. My wife and I want to theaters to see it and walked out with a "WTF did I just see" vibe. Neither of us enjoyed the movie at all. 
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: Paul Heroy on November 23, 2025, 01:02:38 PM
I remember seeing The Force Awakens in the theater and about midway thru I told my friend that it was practically a remake, note for note, of A New Hope. I was very disappointed in that. 

Another Steve Martin movie I saw many years after its release and liked a lot, that got pretty mediocre reviews, is Bowfinger. I'm not sure it's a box office bomb, though.

One of the biggest examples of a BO flop that did well and I love, is Blade Runner. I actually did see it in the theater and didn't quite get it on first viewing but loved it more later. It's the movie I have owned the most versions of.
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: Barry on November 23, 2025, 01:38:02 PM


One of the biggest examples of a BO flop that did well and I love, is Blade Runner. I actually did see it in the theater and didn't quite get it on first viewing but loved it more later. It's the movie I have owned the most versions of.
I also have a lot of versions of Blade Runner. And I have really liked the latest versions the best. Matter of fact, the 4K version becomes a favorite of mine. but the versions I like all have unicorns in them and the most recent version changes one word and makes the movie better.  
Title: Re: 2 questions
Post by: AVSCraig on November 23, 2025, 04:25:04 PM
I also have a lot of versions of Blade Runner. And I have really liked the latest versions the best. Matter of fact, the 4K version becomes a favorite of mine. but the versions I like all have unicorns in them and the most recent version changes one word and makes the movie better. 
I love Blade Runner, whether a bomb originally or not. Also love Cloud Atlas, which didn't do well at the theaters when it came out.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal