AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on November 11, 2025, 08:11:45 PM

Title: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: Barry on November 11, 2025, 08:11:45 PM
 Predator: Badlands  A non-spoiler review
 
I saw Predator Badlands to at an AMC Dolby theatre.  It is the ninth film in the series and you often hear me say that to many movies today are either squeals, remakes or part of a franchise.  Of course this fits right in  there.
 
This movie is not a musical comedy.  If you like this sort of action-adventure-horror this is a good movie for you.  I rate it as “good.” It was impressive to see it on a very large screen with good surround.
 
The film stars Dimitrius Schuster-Koloamatangi but you never see his face so this could be Pee-Wee Herman. Here, Dek, a young Predator fights with his family over his abilities. To prove himself he travels and crashes crash-lands on a intimidating planet where he must prove that he is a worthy hunter. He meets and becomes allies with a bottomless (that is legless) android (Elle Fanning )who is as human as anyone. The pair fight, again and again, to survive.
 
The picture has endless special effects that looked great, especially on the big screen. And they actually have you rooting for the Predator. For this type of picture, it was really quite good.

My Ratings System:

Great
Very Good
Good
Sit through able (just Okay)
Bad
Very Bad
 
 


Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 11, 2025, 09:42:48 PM
I'll see it on UHD next year. Thanks for the review Barry. How would you compare it to Prey?
Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: Barry on November 12, 2025, 04:19:41 PM
I'll see it on UHD next year. Thanks for the review Barry. How would you compare it to Prey?
David,

As always, you bring up a very interesting point.Prey, was a very different movie and perhaps the best of the predator series after the first one.

Prey was a more personal film. It’s beginning, showed us that all species were predators, and it was not evil to hunt for food. Of course, the Predators of this series tend to hunt for sport. And it is interesting that in both this movie and Badlands the hunters are also seeking recognition of their talent.

For this type of movie, I would give Prey a higher rating,due to the performance of Amber Midthunder and the thoughtfulness that went behind the plot. Prey has all that to a minimum and is more of a human interest story for most of it. I would give Prey, for the type of movie it is, a”very good” rating.

Badlands is a movie that is a sci-fi, special effects, action, and adventure movie. Prey draws you in on a much more human level.



Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 12, 2025, 07:59:48 PM
David,

As always, you bring up a very interesting point.Prey, was a very different movie and perhaps the best of the predator series after the first one.

Prey was a more personal film. It’s beginning, showed us that all species were predators, and it was not evil to hunt for food. Of course, the Predators of this series tend to hunt for sport. And it is interesting that in both this movie and Badlands the hunters are also seeking recognition of their talent.

For this type of movie, I would give Prey a higher rating,due to the performance of Amber Midthunder and the thoughtfulness that went behind the plot. Prey has all that to a minimum and is more of a human interest story for most of it. I would give Prey, for the type of movie it is, a”very good” rating.

Badlands is a movie that is a sci-fi, special effects, action, and adventure movie. Prey draws you in on a much more human level.
Thanks Barry. I loved Prey and actually thought it was slightly better than the original Predator for the reasons you stated--it wasn't just an action movie, it was quite deep. The original the first time was awesome because it was so fresh, but it isn't what I'd call a "deep" movie :D 
Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: bmoney on November 17, 2025, 06:52:00 AM
Interested as always to see these
Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: SRW1000 on February 26, 2026, 08:54:17 PM
We watched this over the weekend, and I couldn't have been more bored.  To the point where I fell asleep at one point despite having the soundtrack cranked.

Filled with action, but the plot is razor thin and I didn't find any of the characters even slightly interesting.

Maybe fans of the series will find it more involving, but I was ready to hit the eject button halfway through.  My wife wanted to watch the whole thing, which was the only thing saving it.
Title: Re: Predator: Badlands A non-spoiler review
Post by: bmoney on February 27, 2026, 07:51:38 AM
Just tried to watch it. It’s awful. I can’t stand the girl. Oh man. What did they do the predator franchise. Ugh
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal