AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 09, 2025, 10:45:59 PM

Title: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 09, 2025, 10:45:59 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/I0WOLJt.jpeg)

Studio: Universal
Release Date: November 11, 2025
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5
 
Plot
The cinematic return of the global phenomenon follows the Crawley family and their staff as they enter the 1930s. When Mary finds herself at the center of a public scandal and the family faces financial trouble, the entire household grapples with the threat of social disgrace. The Crawleys must embrace change as the staff prepares for a new chapter with the next generation leading Downton Abbey into the future.
 
My Thoughts
If this really is the end, the film gives the series’ beloved world a fitting farewell, earning its emotional impact despite a rather rough first act where things move a bit too briskly—introductions and setups rush through familiar faces extremely fast, leaving the viewer little room to breathe. Thankfully, it finds its footing around the 40-minute mark and does a great job of reminding why you’ve been so attached to the goings-on at Downton Abbey for the past 15 years. While Dame Maggie Smith was definitely missed in the cast, her presence over the family is not forgotten, and the rhythms of estate life, class tensions, and pointed dialog pull you right in.
 
Both my wife and I were brought to tears on many occasions with touching scenes between the lovable characters, and they will certainly be missed in our household. At 130 minutes, the film never feels long, and it’s given the franchise a graceful exit without overreaching, but I personally think there could be more stories to tell if the producers want to take another crack at it.
 
The film offers a stunning 4K encode that boasts both HDR10 and Dolby Vision sourced from a 4K master. The video quality is near-perfect with exquisite detail in the Abbey’s ornate tapestries, period costumes, and intimate conversations. Colors glow in the rich golds and greens of the estate, and contrast delivers deep shadows throughout the movie.
 
The Dolby Atmos track isn’t very aggressive, but dialog is delivered crisply, surrounds place footsteps echoing through the empty halls, and the string-heavy soundtrack swells dynamically with enough bass undertones to highlight emotional peaks. While not bombastic by any stretch, the soundtrack suits the period drama perfectly.
 
Video 9.5/10
Audio 9/10  (Dolby Atmos)
 
Special Features:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_30wFRxlnA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_30wFRxlnA)
 
 
Conclusion
I’m really sad this is probably the end of the franchise, but I will say it’s going out on a high note with near-reference quality video and a strong audio presentation. Brisk start aside, it captures the magic that has endeared these characters to us for the past 15 years, and Julian Fellowes’ fabulous script blends laughs and tears that allows the viewer to have closure with these wonderful characters. If you’re part of the Downton fans, this film definitely belongs on your shelf—let’s all raise a glass to the end of an era. Highly recommended.
 
 
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(I utilized Portrait Displays' (https://www.portrait.com/) Calman color calibration software)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on November 10, 2025, 06:31:28 AM
Wife loves it. I never watched it. Maybe I’ll give it a shot after your review 
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 10, 2025, 12:37:39 PM
Wife loves it. I never watched it. Maybe I’ll give it a shot after your review
You'd have to start with the first season of the TV show and watch all the way through. If not, you'll be completely lost :)
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on November 11, 2025, 02:31:53 PM
You'd have to start with the first season of the TV show and watch all the way through. If not, you'll be completely lost :)
That’s kind of what I meant lol. So this would be a while before I views this movie lol
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 11, 2025, 03:08:55 PM
That’s kind of what I meant lol. So this would be a while before I views this movie lol
Not too long...about 3 straight days with no sleep ;)
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on November 17, 2025, 06:53:03 AM
I can take one for the team lol
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on November 17, 2025, 12:20:13 PM
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I am also a fan and agree totally.


Regards,
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 17, 2025, 12:27:28 PM
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I am also a fan and agree totally.


Regards,
Thanks Ralph!
Title: Re: Downton Abbey - The Grand Finale (2025) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 18, 2025, 02:13:55 PM
Not too long...about 3 straight days with no sleep ;)
Never seen this show, but since I don't have that kind of time, I doubt I will anytime soon. Maybe if I'm bedridden in my 80's - around 2040! ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal