AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Paul Heroy on September 28, 2025, 04:47:42 PM

Title: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: Paul Heroy on September 28, 2025, 04:47:42 PM
The UHD disc doesn't release for another few weeks but my wife has been agitating to watch it ASAP, so we watched it last night on an iTunes rental.

As for the movie, it is what you expect at this point - the stunts are WILDLY amped up, and I have to admit, some of them are really amazing and impressive. It's a bit bloated and the callbacks to earlier installments & fan service is debatable, you may like that or not.

But what's going to get the blood pumping for several here and in the HT/AV community at large - the BASS is freaking phenomenal. Holy crap, there is an extended underwater sub sequence that has infrasonics out the wazoo. My dual Hsu VTF-15s were getting to show off their 20 Hz ability as very few movies have done, to the extent that something was rattling in our room and freaking my wife out. There are some other scenes too but that sequence might be THE new movie bass demo.
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: bmoney on September 29, 2025, 06:42:50 AM
The subs scene is underwater room pressure the way it’s meant to be. Just awesome 
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: Barry on September 29, 2025, 11:50:54 PM
I reviewed this for us at https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=4526.msg30042#msg30042 (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=4526.msg30042#msg30042) (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=4526.msg30042#msg30042)
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: David Vaughn on September 30, 2025, 07:54:14 PM
Hopefully I get sent a review copy. Paramount has changed the way they distribute review copies (and not for thr better!), so it's a crapshoot whether I'll get one or not. Fingers crossed. 
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: Paul Heroy on October 01, 2025, 02:32:50 AM
Barry, I'd forgotten about your review. I agree 100% with a lot of what you said especially the incredibly unrealistic lengths they push Ethan Hunt and have him survive, much less emerge more or less unscathed. I had to shut up about that a couple of times after my wife protested my protests!

David, you're definitely one of the bassheads I was thinking of for the heads up and I am looking forward to reading your reaction to the submarine bass sequence. Seriously, I don't think I've had anything like that since Interstellar, and I suspect there are more super deep 20 Hz and maybe lower frequencies in MI b/c it was frequently as much or more "felt" as "heard".
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: David Vaughn on October 01, 2025, 11:42:19 AM
Barry, I'd forgotten about your review. I agree 100% with a lot of what you said especially the incredibly unrealistic lengths they push Ethan Hunt and have him survive, much less emerge more or less unscathed. I had to shut up about that a couple of times after my wife protested my protests!

David, you're definitely one of the bassheads I was thinking of for the heads up and I am looking forward to reading your reaction to the submarine bass sequence. Seriously, I don't think I've had anything like that since Interstellar, and I suspect there are more super deep 20 Hz and maybe lower frequencies in MI b/c it was frequently as much or more "felt" as "heard".
It was that way in the theater as well. We saw it opening weekend and enjoyed it. Not a great movie but a fun one and we all loved the tributes to the earlier films. 
Title: Re: Mission Impossible: The Final Reckoning - a "bassheads up"
Post by: bmoney on October 01, 2025, 02:50:50 PM
Barry, I'd forgotten about your review. I agree 100% with a lot of what you said especially the incredibly unrealistic lengths they push Ethan Hunt and have him survive, much less emerge more or less unscathed. I had to shut up about that a couple of times after my wife protested my protests!

David, you're definitely one of the bassheads I was thinking of for the heads up and I am looking forward to reading your reaction to the submarine bass sequence. Seriously, I don't think I've had anything like that since Interstellar, and I suspect there are more super deep 20 Hz and maybe lower frequencies in MI b/c it was frequently as much or more "felt" as "heard".
the sub 20 stuff is insane. (with BEQ)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal