AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Upcoming Releases => Topic started by: SRW1000 on August 05, 2025, 08:23:05 PM

Title: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: SRW1000 on August 05, 2025, 08:23:05 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/IJSheH0.png)

From the Arrow Video press release:

On September 2, the science fiction adventure Lost in Space makes its global 4K UHD debut. A surprise hit upon its 1998 release—famously topping Titanic at the box office for a brief moment—Lost in Space returns in a definitive 4K restoration from the original camera negative, approved by director Stephen Hopkins. The Limited Edition set is packed with hours of special features, collectible packaging, and newly commissioned extras.

The Earth is close to being uninhabitable in 2058. Mankind's only hope for survival is to send Professor John Robinson (William Hurt, Avengers: Infinity War), his wife Maureen (Mimi Rogers, Bosch), son Will (Jack Johnson, Love Affair), and daughters Judy (Heather Graham, Boogie Nights) and Penny (Lacey Chabert, Black Christmas), along with pilot Major Don West (Matt LeBlanc, Friends), to the planet Alpha Prime to create a transporter gate. This device will allow Earthlings to flee to a new world. There are people who don’t want the Robinsons’ mission to succeed, including the treacherous Dr. Smith (Gary Oldman, The Dark Knight). The family’s physician sneaks onto Jupiter II to sabotage The Robot (Dick Tufeld, the voice of The Robot from the TV series). The mechanical mayhem leads to the spaceship becoming lost in space. Can the Robinsons regain their bearings and reach Alpha Prime? The movie features cameos by Mark Goddard, June Lockhart, Marta Kristen, and Angela Cartwright from the original TV series.

Special features include archive audio commentaries; newly filmed interviews; a brand new video essay; deleted scenes; archival featurettes; a Q&A with the original cast of the TV series; bloopers; an Illustrated collector’s booklet; articles from American Cinematographer; and an excerpt from the original production notes.

Watch the trailer for Lost in Space here:

https://youtu.be/X19rPM4_ZfA

Lost in Space is distributed by MVD Entertainment Group

Another older title getting a 4K scan from the original camera negative and being packaged with some sweet extras!
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: David Vaughn on August 06, 2025, 12:41:25 PM
I remember when this was released on DVD--a lot of stores used the launch sequence of the spaceship as demo material. I'm curious to see how well it holds up.
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: Paul Heroy on August 06, 2025, 03:32:01 PM
I had totally forgotten about this - not sure if I saw it or not, tbh. My first thought was that this was the recent Netflix TV series version. I started that but didn't get very far and what I read later didn't make it seem all that interesting to me. But I'm curious about how the movie stands up in retrospect - it doesn't have great reviews.
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: David Vaughn on August 06, 2025, 04:02:20 PM
I had totally forgotten about this - not sure if I saw it or not, tbh. My first thought was that this was the recent Netflix TV series version. I started that but didn't get very far and what I read later didn't make it seem all that interesting to me. But I'm curious about how the movie stands up in retrospect - it doesn't have great reviews.
I watched the TV show in syndication as a kid, so maybe too many people are comparing it to that. I'm going to give it a go and see how it holds up :)
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: SRW1000 on August 06, 2025, 08:11:48 PM
I watched the TV show in syndication as a kid, so maybe too many people are comparing it to that. I'm going to give it a go and see how it holds up :)
That was my experience with the original show, as well.  It was easy to relate to Will and what kid didn't want to have their very own Robot to hang around with?

The changes from those old memories to the movie were too stark for me, so I'm one of those people that just couldn't judge it as its own thing.  I'll be looking forward to your review to see how it looks more that 25 years later.
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: bmoney on August 07, 2025, 07:59:08 AM
All I remember is the tv show too. Didn’t even know there was a movie
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: AVSCraig on August 08, 2025, 10:45:44 AM
All I remember is the tv show too. Didn’t even know there was a movie
I think it was pretty forgettable, but I forgot the cast - interesting casting. 
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: David Vaughn on August 08, 2025, 11:10:02 AM
I think it was pretty forgettable, but I forgot the cast - interesting casting.
That's what intrigues me as well. 
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: AVSCraig on August 08, 2025, 04:34:36 PM
That's what intrigues me as well.
I'd rather watch Heather Graham in Boogie Nights - which I heard is coming in 4K also this year.
Title: Re: Lost in Space Lands on 4K UHD Disc 9/2/2025
Post by: bmoney on August 08, 2025, 04:48:46 PM
I'd rather watch Heather Graham in Boogie Nights - which I heard is coming in 4K also this year.
Oh boy. Dirk diggler in 4k lol
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal