AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on June 06, 2025, 06:05:05 PM

Title: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 06, 2025, 06:05:05 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/5ZZa5k8.jpeg)

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: May 27, 2025
Rating: R
Film: 3/5
 
Plot
The film follows two of New York’s most notorious organized crime bosses, Frank Costello (De Niro) and Vito Genovese (De Niro), as they vie for control of the city’s streets. Once the best of friends, petty jealousies and a series of betrayals place them on a deadly collision course that will reshape the Mafia (and America) forever. 
 
My Thoughts
The film is directed by Barry Levinson and stars Robert De Niro in dual roles as mob bosses Frank Costello and Vito Genovese, delivers a competent but familiar gangster saga. The film, based on true events, explores the fractured friendship between these two real-life crime figures, weaving a tale of loyalty, betrayal, and power struggles in 1950s New York. I found Den Niro’s performances to be the best part of the production as the two very different characters play a game of cat and mouse for the upper hand. Unfortunately, the screenplay by Nicholas Pileggi harkens back to his to most notable screenplays, Goodfellas and Casino, and it never really reaches those heights.
 
The Blu-ray presentation is a strong point, offering a crisp 1080p High Definition transfer with a 2.39:1 aspect ratio that captures the film’s gritty yet polished aesthetic. The visuals are sharp, with rich colors and deep black levels that enhance the moody atmosphere of the underworld. The Dolby Atmos soundtrack provides clear dialogue and immersive soundscapes, particularly during tense confrontations, though the film’s restrained action limits the audio’s dynamic range.
 
Video 4.5/5
 
Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby Atmos)
 
 
Special Features:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aayuOp0AnE&ab_ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aayuOp0AnE&ab_)
 
 
Conclusion
Even though the film is based on a true story, it doesn’t really add anything to the gangster genre. As much as I loathe De Niro’s politics, his performances are worth watching and the stellar presentation certainly helps. For fans of the genre, it’s worth watching at least once via streaming to decide if it needs a spot in your collection.
 
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers

Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Title: Re: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on June 06, 2025, 07:21:53 PM
That's a disappointment coming from creative team involved.  I'll lower my expectations for it.
Title: Re: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 06, 2025, 07:51:54 PM
That's a disappointment coming from creative team involved.  I'll lower my expectations for it.Part
Parts of it are well done, but there almost an equal number of misses. Curious to hear your thoughts on it. 
Title: Re: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on June 09, 2025, 06:30:58 AM
I started watching it then got distracted and have yet to revisit. Thanks for the review
Title: Re: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on June 15, 2025, 11:01:18 PM
We watched this one tonight, and my wife and I both liked it.  It was about 15 minutes longer than it needed to be but still held our interest.  De Niro was great at times, but I've noticed in some of his more recent movies it feels like he's riffing instead of following the script.  I could be way offbase on that one; it's just how it hits me at different points.

I thought it looked great on Blu-ray and appreciated that they included the Atmos soundtrack.

Well worth watching.  Thanks for reviewing this one.
Title: Re: The Alto Knights (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 16, 2025, 11:12:08 AM
We watched this one tonight, and my wife and I both liked it.  It was about 15 minutes longer than it needed to be but still held our interest.  De Niro was great at times, but I've noticed in some of his more recent movies it feels like he's riffing instead of following the script.  I could be way offbase on that one; it's just how it hits me at different points.

I thought it looked great on Blu-ray and appreciated that they included the Atmos soundtrack.

Well worth watching.  Thanks for reviewing this one.
I'm glad you two enjoyed it. It turned out much better than I thought going into it. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal