AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on March 18, 2025, 07:09:36 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/KERm6eS.jpeg)
Studio: Paramount
Release Date: March 25, 2025
Rating: PG
Film: 4/5
Plot
The good news is that Tommy (Chris Farley) has finally graduated from college after seven long years—and no, he didn't go to medical school. Fully educated and ready to make his mark on the world, Tommy goes into the family business of selling car parts. When his father suddenly dies, he needs to save the company from financial ruin by heading out onhitting the road with company sycophant Richard (David Spade) to sell a new line of brake pads.
My Thoughts
I've watched Tommy Boy numerous times over the years, and I still enjoy the comedy team of Spade and Farley. Unfortunately, Farley's untimely death in 1997 of a drug overdose put an end to any future projects starring the two comedians. While This is not a great film by any stretch, but there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
Holy schnike, for a catalog title from the mid-90s, Tommy Boy looks very impressive in this newly remastered 4K release. The print is in flawless condition, and the detail is well above average in both close-up and long sweeping shots. Color saturation is strong and solid, and contrast is really consistent from scene to scene. Black levels are never really tested to any degree, but they are deep enough to provide acceptable shadow delineation and the HDR treatment is very subtle.
It looks like the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track is ported over from the Blu-ray, which isn’t a bad thing. It stays true to its the movie's comedic roots with a front-laden presentation. The surround channels provide some atmospheric ambiance ambience, and the dialog is crystal clear and firmly rooted in the center speaker. The music soundtrack includes some classic songs from the '70's and '80's that opens up the dynamics in this otherwise vanilla track.
Video 9/10
Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby TrueHD)
Special Features:
- Commentary by director Peter Segal
- Four Featurettes
- Storyboard Comparisons
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Alternate Takes
- Gag Reel
- Photo Gallery
- TV Spots
- Theatrical Trailer
- Steelbook Packaging
- 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btKFrFhq28&ab_ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btKFrFhq28&ab_)
Conclusion
It's rare that I can watch a comedy multiple times and laugh, but Tommy Boy doesn't disappoint. This is by far the best the film has ever looked and sounded and is r. Recommended for fans.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
-
I almost completely checked out of comedies back in the 90s, but your review has gotten my curiosity. I'll have to look for this one.
-
As classic as they come. What a quotable
Movie!
-
I almost completely checked out of comedies back in the 90s, but your review has gotten my curiosity. I'll have to look for this one.
Woah. Not seen too many people who haven’t seen this.
-
I almost completely checked out of comedies back in the 90s, but your review has gotten my curiosity. I'll have to look for this one.
I've been in sales my entire professional life, so this one hits home for me. And like bmoney stated, so many great quotes in this film.
-
I never saw it either! I blame Adam Sandler for that, as I loathe him and he kind of soured me on experiencing the whole oeuvre of SNL alums in general. I've become a bit more selective since then so I might give this a shot at some point.
-
I never saw it either! I blame Adam Sandler for that, as I loathe him and he kind of soured me on experiencing the whole oeuvre of SNL alums in general. I've become a bit more selective since then so I might give this a shot at some point.
MUCH better humor than Adam Sandler. So no worries there. It’s truly funny. Not stupid funny
-
MUCH better humor than Adam Sandler. So no worries there. It’s truly funny. Not stupid funny
Totally agree...the chemistry between Farley and Spade is outstanding.