AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on March 09, 2025, 03:16:44 PM

Title: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: Barry on March 09, 2025, 03:16:44 PM
Forrest Gump is fantasy, perhaps a fable, that is an enjoyable movie that can be watched over again.


First, the cast, Tom Hanks, Sally Fields, Gary Sinese and Robin Wright are just outstanding in their roles.

We first see Forrest as a child, with an IQ of 75, having difficulty getting through his young life. He is aided in a bedded by his mother, played by Sally Fields, and begins to have adventures that are fantastic and yet you somehow go along with it. An amazing uses of special effects Forrest will meet presidents and other famous people. He actually becomes an outstanding athlete in both football and ping-pong . He will go to high school, college and become a hero serving in Vietnam. Returning home, he will become incredibly rich incredibly quickly.

The movie always comes back to the relationship between Forrest and Jenny. I don’t wanna give away the end if you haven’t seen it, but they actually kind of mix things up at the end in terms of their timeline. I wonder if anyone else noticed this. 


Nothing in this movie is credible. Yet it holds your interest and you’re anxious to see how it works out. 

In the past few years, many people have seen political references in the movie and I really don’t . I see it as an imaginative fantasy that keeps you very interested mostly because Tom Hanks is just great in this role.

Forrest, meeting the presidents, using special effects, is just wonderful . You can laugh a lot at this movie, be saddened a lot in this movie, and even though it’s a fantasy, it will bring a tear or two to your eyes.

Video on 4K:
The video here is a disappointment.  The colors do vary from scene to scene as does the sharpness and brightness. At first, I thought that the scenes in the past were deliberately made a little out of focus. But that comes and goes throughout the movie.

Audio:
The soundtrack is very good. It is very clear and it keeps you in the movie.

I did enjoy many of the special features that came on a third disc . For example, there’s a section on how they did the special effects. Another section on how they chose the younger, Forrest. There are approximately three hours of extra features.
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 09, 2025, 06:08:51 PM
Barry,

Very good summation of the film. In regard to the video quality, I only rated it a 6/10 for the reasons you stated above. Here was my assessment:

Unfortunately, something is definitely lost in translation on this 4K rendition of the movie. While the detail is outstanding given the native 4K scan, the special effects stand out like a sore thumb versus the superb-looking 1080p Blu-ray. This is not the first time I’ve seen this effect in 4K—sometimes too much resolution is not a good thing! Furthermore, the color palette looks less natural and occasionally overbearing, especially in flesh tones. Where the video shines is in any of the nature shots that don’t contain any VFX.

As an aside, I had the chance to meet Gary Sinise at his foundation in 2017. He builds home for disabled veterans and we provided all of the paint for the homes. We really hit it off and spoke about movies for nearly an hour. In the picture below, there's a funny story about it. When then film ended up being a box office hit, the producers of the film decided to award each of the main cast a gift--a replica bench from the famous scene from the movie. He said that one day there's a knock at the door and a couple of burly delivery guys brought him this massive bench that he didn't really have anywhere to keep it. So when he rented his foundation headquarters he decided to make it into a "picture spot" within the office space along with more of his movie/TV memorabilia including an Emmy award. Anyway, it was a fun night and a great conversation and we've stayed in touch via Twitter the past 8 years. 

(https://i.imgur.com/kXZgeO6.jpeg)

Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: Barry on March 09, 2025, 07:04:33 PM
That is just a very good story. I didn’t see that you reviewed the movie on our side here otherwise I would’ve put my comments underneath it. Yeah, we both had the same point of view regarding the video. That’s a disappointment because after reading your review, I would’ve just kept the Blu-ray. I guess 4Ks I like a box of chocolate….
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 09, 2025, 08:23:08 PM
That is just a very good story. I didn’t see that you reviewed the movie on our side here otherwise I would’ve put my comments underneath it. Yeah, we both had the same point of view regarding the video. That’s a disappointment because after reading your review, I would’ve just kept the Blu-ray. I guess 4Ks I like a box of chocolate….
What's funny Barry is in my review the final sentence says "If you own the Blu-ray there's no reason to upgrade unless you have to have the Atmos soundtrack." :D
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 09, 2025, 08:24:45 PM
I looked though the forum and of course, my Forrest Gump review has disappeared just like a number of other reviews. What the heck is going on?
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 09, 2025, 08:25:53 PM
When I do a Google search, the only thing that comes up is my Ultimate Demo from back in 2009 on Sound & Vision. (https://www.soundandvision.com/content/forrest-gump)
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: SRW1000 on March 09, 2025, 09:02:55 PM
I still have my sealed laserdisc copy, just never felt in the mood to watch it.  :-[

At least I know there's no point in upgrading to the 4K version unless it's the same price as the Blu-ray.
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: SRW1000 on March 09, 2025, 09:04:15 PM
Barry,

Very good summation of the film. In regard to the video quality, I only rated it a 6/10 for the reasons you stated above. Here was my assessment:

Unfortunately, something is definitely lost in translation on this 4K rendition of the movie. While the detail is outstanding given the native 4K scan, the special effects stand out like a sore thumb versus the superb-looking 1080p Blu-ray. This is not the first time I’ve seen this effect in 4K—sometimes too much resolution is not a good thing! Furthermore, the color palette looks less natural and occasionally overbearing, especially in flesh tones. Where the video shines is in any of the nature shots that don’t contain any VFX.

As an aside, I had the chance to meet Gary Sinise at his foundation in 2017. He builds home for disabled veterans and we provided all of the paint for the homes. We really hit it off and spoke about movies for nearly an hour. In the picture below, there's a funny story about it. When then film ended up being a box office hit, the producers of the film decided to award each of the main cast a gift--a replica bench from the famous scene from the movie. He said that one day there's a knock at the door and a couple of burly delivery guys brought him this massive bench that he didn't really have anywhere to keep it. So when he rented his foundation headquarters he decided to make it into a "picture spot" within the office space along with more of his movie/TV memorabilia including an Emmy award. Anyway, it was a fun night and a great conversation and we've stayed in touch via Twitter the past 8 years.

(https://i.imgur.com/kXZgeO6.jpeg)
Great story!  Sinise is one of those Hollywood stars that you never hear anything negative about.  Happy to see your story backs that up completely.
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: SRW1000 on March 09, 2025, 09:28:42 PM
I looked though the forum and of course, my Forrest Gump review has disappeared just like a number of other reviews. What the heck is going on?
That's really disturbing.  There is definitely something going on with the site and disappearing posts.

Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: Barry on March 10, 2025, 01:57:27 PM
I looked though the forum and of course, my Forrest Gump review has disappeared just like a number of other reviews. What the heck is going on?
David, before I posted, I checked our movie. Log to see if you had posted a review. I didn’t find one. If I did, I would’ve posted this underneath what you did. So something is quirky here
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 12, 2025, 08:43:00 PM
David, before I posted, I checked our movie. Log to see if you had posted a review. I didn’t find one. If I did, I would’ve posted this underneath what you did. So something is quirky here
No worries Barry. Yes, something is definitely going on. 
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: bmoney on March 13, 2025, 06:43:54 AM
No worries Barry. Yes, something is definitely going on.
This is quite a few of your reviews that have gone missing. I wonder if it’s any ones other posts. Maybe it’s more common than we think but no one ever looks for their old threads. Idk. 

It also seems to pop its head up every couple months. Did you receive an email it was me? I have since changed my password and it seems to have fixed the problem there. Idk

sorry your hard work is going away 
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: David Vaughn on March 13, 2025, 11:05:23 AM
This is quite a few of your reviews that have gone missing. I wonder if it’s any ones other posts. Maybe it’s more common than we think but no one ever looks for their old threads. Idk.

It also seems to pop its head up every couple months. Did you receive an email it was me? I have since changed my password and it seems to have fixed the problem there. Idk

sorry your hard work is going away
Thankfully, I save every review in a Word document, so it isn't lost, per se. I'd just need to repost the ones that have been lost along the way. 
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: AVSCraig on March 13, 2025, 12:19:36 PM
Thankfully, I save every review in a Word document, so it isn't lost, per se. I'd just need to repost the ones that have been lost along the way.
Send Marc an email or " report to moderator " to get his attention. 
Title: Re: Life is like a box of chocolates: Forrest Gump 4K
Post by: bmoney on March 13, 2025, 01:25:06 PM
Thankfully, I save every review in a Word document, so it isn't lost, per se. I'd just need to repost the ones that have been lost along the way.
i remember you telling me that.  still a PIA

your reviews are a very valuable addition to this site
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal