AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on March 03, 2025, 12:42:13 PM
-
it is really strange sometimes to see something that you have discussed appear on the news.
CBS On Sundays had an interesting morning, magazine news show. It does not often feature hard news But interesting stories that she really don’t see anywhere else. Often they have topics and the topics this Sunday was the movies and the Oscars.
In October, I posted here that as much as I do love going to the movies and seeing them at home, there have been too many remake, sequels and franchises
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=4337.msg29134#msg29134 (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=4337.msg29134#msg29134)
Well, using those exact words CBS Sunday morning discussed that issue. It seems that all of the top 15 grossing movies of 2024 where exactly one of those three.
They went on to say that it’s true that they don’t make movies like they used to and that is because people don’t watch them like they used to. Over 1000 theaters in this country closed during Covid and they will not be reopening.
There is one thing I feel the industry kind of ignored over the years. Movies were made to be seen big. In my world of New York theaters in the 80s and 90s were made smaller. They ‘quaffed’ many of the big screens. Now with my 110 inch screen, and many here have bigger, I would rather see a movie at home than in one of those theaters. But I do go to the AMC theater here that has big screens and wonderful sound. There is also an IMAX theater nearby.
So I feel that the industry on the whole Should be making theaters much more inviting. This includes real fresh popcorn and butter. They now import Popcorn in these large garbage bags and the butter they put on looks like the oil coming out of my car when I get an oil change.
But I still Love going to the theater and seeing a good movie on a big screen with a lot of people.
-
So I feel that the industry on the whole Should be making theaters much more inviting. This includes real fresh popcorn and butter. They now import Popcorn in these large garbage bags and the butter they put on looks like the oil coming out of my car when I get an oil change.
I couldn't agree more. Pop the popcorn in the theaters in damn coconut oil (yes, it isn't as healthy but it tastes SO much better) and instead of using the "motor oil" as Barry describes it (and I don't disagree), let's get back to real butter--that's what I use at home (although I use a microwave to pop my popcorn in one of these. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDK8N8C?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_1&th=1)--which works great). The real butter we use is "Kerrygold Butter" that can be bought from either Sams or Costco. It's the best for popcorn.
-
I couldn't agree more. Pop the popcorn in the theaters in damn coconut oil (yes, it isn't as healthy but it tastes SO much better) and instead of using the "motor oil" as Barry describes it (and I don't disagree), let's get back to real butter--that's what I use at home (although I use a microwave to pop my popcorn in one of these. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDK8N8C?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_1&th=1)--which works great). The real butter we use is "Kerrygold Butter" that can be bought from either Sams or Costco. It's the best for popcorn.
I so agree with you, David. And the popcorn is so expensive. You have to get a credit check and pay for it on an installment plan. And the cheapest garbage that you can get.
-
Haven't had popcorn in theaters in a long time. I do any necessary fuel up (and the other direction) before the movie, get my ticket and go to my seat. Didn't miss it even before these unappetizing comments, lol.
But back to the main subject, I did do something last night I hardly ever do, which was to actually watch the Oscars. Partially b/c I like Conan - and he had a little bit that's relevant here. He talked about streaming movies, accompanied by images of people watching on mobile devices, then made a follow up comment about there being another way to stream, on a huge screen in a building with other people. Obviously that was as much ad / product placement as anything but it was good to see. I see commercials in the pre movie trailers for going to movie theaters, and wonder what's the point - they need to be shown somewhere other than the existing audience.
-
On the rare occasion that my wife and I go to a theater to watch a movie, we always get popcorn and a drink. But my wife insists we skip the lame excuse for butter. Our local theater has pretty good popcorn - and in our own theater we use a 4oz popcorn machine and popcorn packs with coconut oil. Good tasting stuff!
-
Our local theater pops their own. And the use melted butter. So we are one off I guess
I only go to the movies to take my daughter and friends out for the day. Otherwise we know to wait for the home release lol