AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on February 18, 2025, 08:16:21 PM
-
First, this is a good movie, but not an exceptional one. The real question is “who is it for?
To enjoy this movie, you really have to have followed and enjoyed the Marvel universe. The more involved you are in it the more you will like this movie. So I do not recommend it for a marvel newcomer.
This movie is actually a continuation of several Marvel projects:
Avengers Endgame
The Falcon and the Super Solider TV show
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America Truth: The Comic
The basic plot is that the falcon has taken over the role of Captain America . Anthony Mackie actually does a very good job showing how his character has grown and changed.
Harrison Ford plays the president who was once known as Thunderball Ross, the adversary of the Incredible Hulk. Ford plays this well and you can feel his uncomfortableness as he has to do things that are politically necessary but ethically challenged.
The villain, who originally appeared in the Incredible Hulk movie, is known in the comics as the Leader. He has mastered the science of brain control and manipulates people to act as he wants them to.
The red Hulk makes an appearance here. And the new Captain America must face him and also stop or prevent a war between Japan and the United States.
Frankly, a lot of the movie doesn’t make much sense, but if you’re a marvel fan and an action adventure fan, there’s a lot here for you. One thing that did bother me is that there are many large fist fights, and no one walks away with a scratch. They could be hitting the face a dozen times and nothing .
Not only me, but one of the writers of these comics, the guy who invented atomantium, doesn’t like that the falcon has become Captain America. Neither do I.. and on comic book pages I have written about this. Only Steve Rogers can be Captain America.
I also read some bad reviews after I saw the movie today. I just disagree. Normally, I would tell you to leave your brains at the door and sit back and just have a good time. But leaving your brains at the door is not good when watching a movie from the studio that made Venom.
PS. Truth is a wonderful comic. It’s a story of how the government experimented on African-Americans trying to perfect the perfect super soldier serum that created Captain America. That character, as a major part in this movie, although they do not elaborate on his past. It is almost as if they expect you to know it.
The picture was very good and so was the sound. There is a scene after the end credits. It’s almost not worth waiting for because it just promotes the next movie.
-
Thanks, Barry. Was waiting for your inevitable review before shooting my mouth off, lol.
Saw it Saturday with a couple of friends. We liked it, but felt exactly as you said - it was good but not great. It's a mid tier MCU movie - not one of the worst but not top tier.
One of the things we discussed a bit is that this had a little more character depth than some of the MCU movies, between Ross & Wilson having very personal character challenges and arcs. It helps having a great actor like Ford in the Ross role of course, and Mackie is good too. I also commented that this is an odd mix of origin story - as Sam Wilson as Captain America hasn't been a primary character in the movies at least - and a continuation that is also set up. Lots of connective tissue to work together here to tie past and future, and overall I think they did a pretty good job.
I don't know that the MCU is going to have a return to the previous heights that were so great and culminated with Infinity War, but this was a step above most of the other ones since then which have been pretty forgettable. (Of the ones I've seen at least - some have gotten such bad reviews I haven't even bothered.)
-
There were two points I wanted to make, but after reading Paul’s review and let me make that three.
1. There are a ton of fist fights in this movie and no one shows the slightest injury to their face or hands, even though they are belted several times. Everyone is invulnerable. there’s not a scratch on anyone.
2. For this reason and one other the Falcon does not need the super serum potion. So long as he has the same special effects people working with him as the original captain America, he can jump anywhere, run anywhere, and throw his shield in a miraculous way that no one could ever do.
3. I have been mostly disappointed since Avengers Endgame. The movies have been disappointing. For me this includes The Eternals, Ant-Man 3, Marvels, Black Widow and even Dr. Strange 2. I did, however, like the Spider-Man movie with three Spider-Men and Deadpool 3. Also, the movie don’t seem to be independent but rather linked together and everything seems to be continued next movie.
-
Barry, speaking of completely unrealistic physical fights, what did you think about the 60 lb or so "Widow" agent beating the crap out of and throwing around a bunch of guys 4x her size? Even though that kind of thing is frequently done these days it's not always as jarringly ridiculous as that and I was laughing, not in a good way.
-
You are absolutely right! Also add to that the good guy rarely fights one on one as usually him against 30 or 40 of the other guys. And Cap’s shield always comes back to him.
-
You are absolutely right! Also add to that the good guy rarely fights one on one as usually him against 30 or 40 of the other guys. And Cap’s shield always comes back to him.
Doesn't his shield arm have some type of magnet that "pulls" the shield back to him? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what it has always looked like.
-
Doesn't his shield arm have some type of magnet that "pulls" the shield back to him? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what it has always looked like.
Actually, in the comic, Tony Stark added something like that, but Cap removed it.
Today he uses ILM to,get the shield back.😝
-
I posted this thought on the other AVS forum, but I think it's worth mentioning here.
Disney missed a golden opportunity here by releasing a Captain America this year and not next year, on the 250th birthday of the United States. Despite what Mr. Mackie may believe, Captain America does have something to do with America, and next year would have been the perfect time to promote it.
Barry probably remembers as well, but Marvel actively celebrated the Bicentennial in 1976, in comics, calendars, and T-shirts. Sure, it was marketing, but it was smart marketing.
I wonder what we might see from them next year, if anything.
-
It was a big deal then!
-
For those that have seen the movie... this is hilarious.
SPOILER ALERT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgX6qZdb60
-
It was a big deal then!
Yes, it was. I don't remember if I bought that treasury book (used to love those things), but I do remember buying the calendar (which I still have), and the T-shirt with Cap, Spidey, and The Hulk. I ended up taking that last one back, since I was too chubby to wear it. :-X
I'd love to see that same kind of celebration next year, but not holding my breath.