AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 26, 2024, 12:37:49 PM

Title: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 26, 2024, 12:37:49 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/wIsoO5p.jpeg)

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 3, 2024
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4.5/5


Plot
Sixteen years after the cancelation of the TV show Galaxy Quest, the ensemble cast ekes out a living signing autographs at fan conventions and making appearances at store openings. Lucky for them, the gig of a lifetime comes along when they're recruited by an alien race—which has been watching the show as the TV signal races through space, believing it to depict real life on Earth—to rescue them from a band of outer-space warriors.
 

My Thoughts
I’ve always have thought that this movie would have been even funnier if somehow they could have gotten the actual cast of Star Trek to star in the film—now that would have been hilarious. Regardless, this is arguably the best Star Trek film ever made because of the way it spoofs virtually everything having to do with the franchise from its fans and out-of-work actors.

Furthermore, the casting is perfect, with Tim Allen as the pompous captain, Sigourney Weaver as the hot blonde, and Alan Rickman as the resentful Royal Shakespearean actor whose career was sidetracked by the popular TV role. I've read some pretty funny comments from Patrick Stewart and other Star Trek veterans that praise the film not only for its parody, but how the fans who understood the science behind the show end up being the true heroes in the end—how fitting!

I owned the film on DVD back in 2000 and reviewed the Blu-ray when it debuted on the format many years ago, so I’m familiar with the look of the film. First off, the presentation is different in that it recreates the changing aspect ratios that was seen when the film was released theatrically. It opens with a 1.37:1 image (pillarboxed for 16x9 screen—on my scope screen there are only black bars on the sides of the image), then stretches out to 1.78:1 during the convention and Jason’s first encounters with the alien race. It then opens up to 2.39:1 when Jason is sent back to Earth. Before sitting down to watch the film, Ralph Potts from AVS Forum reached out to me letting me know this was intentional and to not freak out—thanks Ralph!

Regardless of the aspect changes, this is by far the best the film has looked on home video. Fine details in clothing and facial pores are excellent although the CGI is quite noticeable with the uptick in resolution. Color reproduction is more vivid, especially the primary colors, and the HDR grading gives the image a bit more pop over the 1080p encode.

The Dolby Atmos track is outstanding, especially given the age of the film. When the crew ventures into space to confront the enemy, the soundstage really comes alive and makes good use of all of the speakers in the room. Discrete effects are put to good use to place you in the middle of the action and despite the active mix, dialog never takes a back seat and is always intelligible.

Video 9/10 (AVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)


Special Features:
·      Filmmaker Focus with director Dean Parisot
·      Historical Documents: The Story of Galaxy Quest
·      Never Give Up, Never Surrender: The Intrepid Crew of the NSEA Protector
·      By Grabthar’s Hammer, What Amazing Effects
·      Alien School: Creating the Thermian Race
·      Actors in Space
·      Sigourney Weaver Raps
·      Deleted Scenes
·      Theatrical Trailer
·      Steelbook Packaging
·      Digital Code


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwJgFhMbL4&ab (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwJgFhMbL4&ab)

 
 Conclusion

Instead of my usual conclusion, I'll leave you with some words from William Shatner regarding the film, courtesy of Wikipedia: "I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me, I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols." Classic! Highly Recommended. 


Reference Review System:
 
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers

Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 26, 2024, 02:27:49 PM
Just waiting for my copy to arrive - I love this movie! 
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 26, 2024, 02:38:35 PM
Just waiting for my copy to arrive - I love this movie!
Me too :)
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: DLCPhoto on November 26, 2024, 04:23:54 PM
Definitely a favorite of mine. The question is whether there's enough improvement from the Blu-ray I have to justify double-dipping! :o
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on November 26, 2024, 08:34:14 PM
Thanks for the review.  The last time my wife and I watched the Blu-ray, we were a little disappointed by the video quality.  Sounds like this is definitely worth upgrading.
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 27, 2024, 11:04:50 AM
Definitely a favorite of mine. The question is whether there's enough improvement from the Blu-ray I have to justify double-dipping! :o
I've read several reviews which all indicate that both audio and video are the best they have ever been on this disc. So there is that.
Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on December 10, 2024, 04:49:56 PM
Greetings,

You're welcome Dave! I thought I would save you the consternation that I experienced. Lol! Nice review buddy..


Title: Re: Galaxy Quest 25th Anniversary Edition Steelbook (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on December 10, 2024, 05:38:09 PM
Greetings,

You're welcome Dave! I thought I would save you the consternation that I experienced. Lol! Nice review buddy..
You certainly did buddy! 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal