AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on September 29, 2024, 08:12:44 PM

Title: Despicable Me 4 (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on September 29, 2024, 08:12:44 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/eaUktdt.jpeg)

Studio: Universal
Release Date: September 24, 2024
Rating: PG
Film: 3.5/5
 
 
Plot
The world’s favorite supervillain-turned-Anti-Villain-League-agent, Gru, returns for a bold new era of minions mayhem. Gru, Lucy and their girls welcome a new member to the family – Gru Jr. – who is intent on tormenting his dad, as a new nemesis shows up and forces the family to go on the run.

 My Thoughts
 I’ve been a fan of all of the films in this franchise even though some are better than others. I heard mixed things about this one, but both my wife and I enjoyed it for what it was. There are plenty of laughs and while the script isn’t what I’d call deep, there’s enough story there to keep it interesting for its 90-minute runtime. In fact, both of us were quite tired when we sat down to watch it and we were able to stay awake the entire film, which says something.
 
One thing that’s for sure is the presentation is outstanding. Colors pop off the screen and the 4K transfer shines with plenty of depth and detail. The Dolby Atmos track is no slouch and has some pretty intensive LFE, although the overhead speakers could have been a bit more engaging.
 

 Video 10/10 (AVC)
 
Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

 
 Special Features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq68v4Q6aSo&t=1s&ab
 
 Conclusion

My wife and I were looking for a good laugh and this fourth installment of Gru’s adventures brought a lot of them. As funny as the Minions can be, it’s Gru’s progeny that steals every scene he’s in and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a fifth film in the future. The 4K presentation is outstanding and if you’re a fan of the franchise, be sure to pick it up.
 

Reference Review System:
 
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Title: Re: Despicable Me 4 (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on September 29, 2024, 10:38:32 PM
Thanks for the review, David.  It's in line with the word of mouth I heard as well, so we'll be sure to temper our expectations for this one.

As long as the minions' antics are funny, my wife will be happily amused.
Title: Re: Despicable Me 4 (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on September 30, 2024, 12:37:29 PM
Thanks for the review, David.  It's in line with the word of mouth I heard as well, so we'll be sure to temper our expectations for this one.

As long as the minions' antics are funny, my wife will be happily amused.
I get a kick out of them as well, but the baby really steals the show. 
Title: Re: Despicable Me 4 (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on September 30, 2024, 01:05:40 PM
actually saw this in the movie theaters!  my daughter and her BFF are minion addicts haha

I enjoyed it
Title: Re: Despicable Me 4 (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on October 06, 2024, 02:07:09 PM
Agreed completely with your review on this one, David.

While it's the weakest entry in the series, there are still laughs to be found, and I'd consider it a worthwhile entry in the series.  We'll be adding it to our collection.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal