AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on April 29, 2024, 08:38:14 PM

Title: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: David Vaughn on April 29, 2024, 08:38:14 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/UQa0agx.jpeg)

Studio: Paramount Pictures  
Release Date: May 7, 2024
Rating: R
Film: 3/5
 
Plot
Young musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) is brutally murdered alongside his fiancée by members of a violent gang.  On the anniversary of their death, Eric rises from the grave and assumes the gothic mantle of the Crow, a supernatural avenger.  He then sets out on a macabre mission to mercilessly hunt down everyone responsible and make them answer for their crimes. 
 
My Thoughts
Based on the comic book saga from James O’Barr, the film was originally released on May 13, 1994 and thrilled audiences with its gothic aesthetic, non-stop action, and Brandon Lee’s final performance at the center of director Alex Proyas’ revenge fantasy. It ended up becoming a surprise box office hit and the film developed a passionate cult following that spawned three sequels, a television series, a video game, toys, and novels.

 I had personally never seen the movie but had heard good things about it and had high expectations when I finally sat down to watch the UHD. What did I think? Well, judging on the film score above I didn’t love it. While there were certain aspects to the film that I enjoyed, I found most of the acting to be campy and over-the-top and didn’t find Lee’s performance that moving. I thought Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters) did the best job of all of the actors as the beat cop who gets entangled in the situation.

 
While I didn’t think the film was all that, the presentation is fantastic. Some of the flyover shots suffer due to the added resolution of the 4K image, but other than that, the film is a delight to view and will test the black level capabilities of your display (thankfully, my JVC RS3100 passed with flying colors!). If you’re into film noire, you’ll definitely enjoy the presentation. The audio track is surprisingly good given its age. Dialog is always clear and coherent and the soundstage is very expensive and the LFE certainly packs a punch.
 
Video 9.5/10 
Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Special Features:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uPZ7ocsqA&ab_channel=RottenTomatoesClassicTrailers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uPZ7ocsqA&ab_channel=RottenTomatoesClassicTrailers)
 
Conclusion
I didn’t love the film but I could see how some could like it. It was much too dark and depressing for my taste, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the revenge factor at play in the film. The 4K presentation is outstanding and fans will love the Steelbook packaging.
 


 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Kaleidescape Strato + Server
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: bmoney on April 30, 2024, 07:17:13 AM
I don’t remember much about this film. Other than I enjoyed it when I saw it. I will have to revisit 
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: AVSCraig on April 30, 2024, 10:40:10 AM
Great to see older movies remastered on 4K. I saw this a long time ago, and didn't like it enough to buy it again on 4K myself. But it has its fans.
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: SRW1000 on April 30, 2024, 08:51:13 PM
My memory of this movie matches your review well, David.

It may be rather morbid to think and say, but I think the film gained a following and got much of its popularity from Brandon Lee's shockingly tragic death.

There is a remake (of course) coming out this summer, with Bill Skarsgård playing the lead this time.
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: David Vaughn on April 30, 2024, 08:54:18 PM
My memory of this movie matches your review well, David.

It may be rather morbid to think and say, but I think the film gained a following and got much of its popularity from Brandon Lee's shockingly tragic death.

There is a remake (of course) coming out this summer, with Bill Skarsgård playing the lead this time.
Scott....I almost said the same thing in the review, but ended up deleting the line out of respect to Lee. 
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: SRW1000 on April 30, 2024, 08:59:44 PM
Scott....I almost said the same thing in the review, but ended up deleting the line out of respect to Lee.
I'd like to think that it would have been successful enough on its own and that he would have gone on to a career that his father would have been proud of, had he lived as well.  But we'll never know.

It's sad to think of the talent that was lost and what could have been.
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: Ralph P. on May 22, 2024, 10:46:20 AM
Greetings,

I am in agreement Dave. Film, Meh, presentation, excellent.


Regards,


Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 22, 2024, 05:55:53 PM
Greetings,

I am in agreement Dave. Film, Meh, presentation, excellent.


Regards,
Thanks for chiming in on all the reviews Ralph. 
Title: Re: The Crow: 30th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) Steelbook review
Post by: Ralph P. on May 30, 2024, 03:12:53 PM
Thanks for chiming in on all the reviews Ralph.


Greetings,

You bet. Sorry I haven't kept up. Things have been busy but, you know that.

Regards,
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal