AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on February 28, 2024, 02:18:28 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/pInxx1V.jpeg)
Studio: Warner
Release Date: February 27, 2023
Rating: PG
Film: 4/5
Plot
Based on the extraordinary, iconic character at the center of Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, one of the best-selling children’s books of all time, Wonka tells the wondrous story of how a young chocolate-maker, armed with nothing but a hatful of dreams, manages to change the world, one delectable bite at a time.
Starring Timothée Chalamet in the title role, this irresistibly vivid and inventive big screen spectacle will introduce audiences to a young Willy Wonka, as he becomes the world’s greatest inventor, magician and chocolate-maker.
My Thoughts
I grew up watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and actually enjoyed it more as an adult than I did as a kid, although my kids seemed to enjoy it. Johnny Depp’s remake was damn-near unwatchable as his portrayal of the character seemed to be a better fit for Epstein Island than someone kids should look up to. So, when it came to watching this film, I wasn’t sure what to expect.
My wife and I went into it with zero expectations and weren’t blown away during the first act, but the longer the film went, the more and more we enjoyed it. Chalamet’s performance is arguably our favorite of the three actors who have portrayed the character because he comes across as likable and genuine without the creep factor. Furthermore, the supporting cast is excellent. Overall we ended up liking it a lot and it’s our current favorite of the three, but maybe a second viewing will reveal flaws that we didn’t see the first time through.
There are zero complaints with the presentation, which is absolutely fantastic. The 4K transfer is visually perfect and teems with detail, which really highlights the fantastic set design. Furthermore, the color palette is deliciously bold. Not to be outdone is the Atmos track, which is a crowd pleaser from beginning to end.
Video 10/10
Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
- Unwrapping Paul King’s Vision
- The Whimsical Music of Wonka
- Welcome to Wonka Land
- Hats Off to Wonka
- Wonka’s Chocolatier
- Musical Moments
- UHD + Digital Copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNh9bTjXWg&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNh9bTjXWg&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures)
Conclusion
If you’re a fan of the original film, you should enjoy this origin story on how Wonka got his start in the chocolate business. It’s a great family film with some good original music that everyone should enjoy. Top it off with a fabulous A/V presentation and you have a treat that’s easy to recommend.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
"Johnny Depp’s remake was damn-near unwatchable as his portrayal of the character seemed to be a better fit for Epstein Island than someone kids should look up to" - ha, that's a good take. I still love the original!
-
Wow 4/5? I thought it was utter trash. I would give it .5/5 personally
Thanks for the review though
-
Wow 4/5? I thought it was utter trash. I would give it .5/5 personally
Thanks for the review though
Really? Do you like musicals? My wife and I really enjoyed it.
-
Really? Do you like musicals? My wife and I really enjoyed it.
Yup love musicals. Thought the acting writing story and songs were all terrible lol. In fact might be one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a long time. My daughter (9) thought it was awful too lol
-
Yup love musicals. Thought the acting writing story and songs were all terrible lol. In fact might be one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a long time. My daughter (9) thought it was awful too lol
Wow...maybe my expectations weren't that high. Then again, you're definitely in the minority according to Rotten Tomatoes. (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonka)
-
Wow...maybe my expectations weren't that high. Then again, you're definitely in the minority according to Rotten Tomatoes. (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonka)
I don’t mind being in the minority.
it’s only on the rare occasion. But this is def one of them
-
Greetings,
I liked, not, loved it. The 2005 film is the worst of the three with the original being my favorite. Yes, looks and sounds solid.
Regards,
-
Yup love musicals. Thought the acting writing story and songs were all terrible lol. In fact might be one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a long time. My daughter (9) thought it was awful too lol
Thanks for chiming in Ralph.
-
We are planning a large viewing this weekend with a lot of kids. Fingers crossed.
-
We are planning a large viewing this weekend with a lot of kids. Fingers crossed.
You'll love the presentation, which is outstanding.