AVS Discussions

Projectors => Premium Projectors => Topic started by: alangouger on December 11, 2023, 11:05:37 PM

Title: Are the days of projection numbered? I think not.
Post by: alangouger on December 11, 2023, 11:05:37 PM
I had an interesting chat today with an insider connected within the commercial side of cinemas. The discussion centered around projection technology and upcoming advancements then naturally progressed to videowalls. Im thinking, I don't think I'm alone, video projection days are numbered. He then pointed out something that seamed so obvious when spelled out. RGB Laser projectors are somewhere around 75% more efficient verses a xenon or lamp based projector and less heat. The commercial cinema industry is heavily invested in the conversion to laser and all its advantages, rightly so. I dont think there is a downside. Installing a Videowall on the other hand would be going backwards. Not only are they the LEAST efficient, they win the title for breaking the bank regarding the utility bill. Add to this, the additional cooling needed to cool the room. A cinema may never break even running just one wall within a multi-plex. This person feels projection will dominate another 10 to 20 years. There are some interesting advancements coming next year from Christie and Barco. Some of which will eventually trickle down to consumer products.

Videowalls have their place in a well light lit environment. Being they are in their infancy I'm sure we will see advancements at fast pace for several years to come. I love projection,  I love the cinematic atmosphere that I feel you can only get from projection. If there is a moral to the story, that would be don't shy away from purchasing a new projector or staying with projection. At least for the time being, you are part of the larger majority.


Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered?
Post by: Barry on December 11, 2023, 11:49:42 PM
Very good post.

I love my projection system. First, I get a large image that looks and feels like a movie theatre. But there is something else. People watch the movies and sports differently when they’re watching a projector. They do not watch it the same way they watch a regular TV. They give far more attention to the picture and sound and less to the environment surrounding them. And I know I’m repetitive but it feels more like a movie theatre. Of course charging admission does that to. 😏
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered?
Post by: AVSCraig on December 12, 2023, 01:24:47 AM
The day I give up my projector is the day I get put in an urn. :o
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered? I think not.
Post by: TRainH2O on December 12, 2023, 09:56:12 PM
I want laser-based front projection to become more mainstream and affordable for the home market. However, if a 92" "flat panel" hits the market with good specs, longevity, and at a good price, I might be tempted to box up my projector.

Only time will tell.
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered?
Post by: TRainH2O on December 12, 2023, 09:58:18 PM
The day I give up my projector is the day I get put in an urn. :o
Speaking as a member of the funeral industry, I'm sure there's someone out there who would be willing to cremate you with your projector. ???::)
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered?
Post by: alangouger on December 12, 2023, 11:31:03 PM
Speaking as a member of the funeral industry, I'm sure there's someone out there who would be willing to cremate you with your projector. ???::)
🤣🤣🤣
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered? I think not.
Post by: AVSCraig on December 13, 2023, 11:35:45 AM
I want laser-based front projection to become more mainstream and affordable for the home market. However, if a 92" "flat panel" hits the market with good specs, longevity, and at a good price, I might be tempted to box up my projector.

Only time will tell.
92" is way too small for me. 
Title: Re: Are the days of projection numbered? I think not.
Post by: David Vaughn on December 13, 2023, 12:51:52 PM
92" is way too small for me.
That's what she said ;)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal