AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 30, 2023, 06:09:22 PM

Title: Point Break (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 30, 2023, 06:09:22 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/Vd1my74.jpg)

Studio: Shout! Factor
 Release Date: December 5, 2023
 Rating:  R
 Film:  4/5
 
 Plot
 Rookie FBI agent Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) goes undercover to bring down a gang of bank-robbing surfers. Moving into the gang's inner circle, Johnny befriends their thrill-seeking, charismatic leader, Bodhi (Patrick Swayze), and finds that he is attracted to Bodhi's lifestyle. He must ultimately choose between his newfound friendship and his duty to the law.


 My Thoughts
 They say your taste change as you grow older, and this is a film that certainly illustrates that fact. I saw the film theatrically my last year of college and loved it. When it arrived on DVD in the late ‘90s, I bought it on release day and proudly had it in my collection and liked watching it to remember those fun days in the dorm. Here we are almost midway through my fifties and the film just doesn’t have the same appeal for me today as it did back then. The acting by Keanu Reeves and Gary Busey (who plays FBI agent Angelo Pappas) is cringe-worthy and the premise of the film—“bank-robbing surfers” is well, just silly.


The last time I’d watched the film was when it hit Blu-ray and HD DVD in 2008 and I recall having similar feelings back then. I did go into this not expecting to enjoy it very much, but I found myself entertained and even laughed-out-loud at some of the cheesy dialog. Granted, this isn’t high-brow cinema, but it’s a good time if you check your brain at the door when you hit the play button.

 One thing I can say is this is the best this ever looked on home video. Color saturation is vastly improved with this new 4K master (along with a Dolby Vision grading). Primary colors particularly shine with the vast blue Southern California ocean and sunny skies. Johnny’s pink surfboard jumps off the screen as well as the beautiful blue eyes of Lori Petty (who plays love interest Tyler Endicott). Details in close-ups are great and although the longer shots are a bit softer, I think this is due to the photography and not a problem with the new 4K scan.


The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack sounds much better than I expected for an early '90s production. A healthy amount of bass adds low-end punch to the dynamic presentation, and active discrete effects are put to good use at times, especially during the surfing sequences. My only real complaint here is with the dialog reproduction, which tends to be obscured by the louder action elements.

 Video 9/10
 Audio 8/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

 
 Special Features:
 
 “It’s Make or Break”

“Ride the Wave”
“On Location: Malibu”
“Adrenaline Junkies”
Additional Scenes
Image Gallery
Trailers

 Conclusion
 I was very critical of this film the last time I watched it but found it to be much more enjoyable after 15 years of stepping away. Maybe my lessened expectations helped a lot but overall I had a good time revisiting this one and found it to be very entertaining and nostalgic. The excellent video presentation certainly helped as well. Recommended for fans. 
 
 
 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Point Break (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 30, 2023, 07:51:03 PM
Never seen this, but I plan to pick it up sooner or later. Nice review. This review sort of convinced me too - 

Point Break 4K Blu-ray (Collector's Edition) (https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Point-Break-4K-Blu-ray/345870/?fbclid=IwAR2QKcshjFmSp2RKP6VOgOo28nRlX-Swlt_uJS_Vl3-f4YozopS2x4xQJJI#Review)
Title: Re: Point Break (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Paul Heroy on December 01, 2023, 12:47:23 AM
Never saw this and not sure if I ever will. But I see it has Lori Petty in it, which makes me want - nay, demand - TANK GIRL in 4K. She cracks me up so much in that. Especially when Ice T's character asks "how much are they paying you to spy on us" and she quickly & cheekily replies "2 dollars and 15 cents!" ::)
Title: Re: Point Break (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on December 01, 2023, 06:38:45 AM
Haven’t seen this in a long time. Gonna grab it
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal