AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 26, 2023, 12:31:48 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/2IsOkLg.jpg)
Studio: Universal
Release Date: November 7, 2023
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5
Plot
From the producers of Nobody and John Wick comes a bare-knuckle, coal-dark holiday action-comedy that says you should always bet on red. When a team of mercenaries breaks into a wealthy family compound taking everyone inside hostage, they are not prepared for a surprise combatant: Santa Claus. David Harbor stars as St. Nick, delivering some serious season’s beatings to save the family and the spirit of Christmas.
My Thoughts
This generally isn’t the type of movie that I gravitate to, but my son-in-law was coming for a visit and he really wanted to watch it in my theater so I waited for his arrival before watching it (sorry the review is coming so late). I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Is it too violent and gory? Yes. Is it also funny and witty? Yes. Will it make the cut for future holiday movie watching? Yes—it’s now in the rotation.
The film was originally released on Blu-ray/DVD earlier this year, but now finds its way onto UHD. Craig Peer must have purchased the Blu-ray because that virtually ensures that it will end up on UDH within 12 months—thanks Craig!
The presentation is outstanding in both the video and audio departments and I really have no major complaints. Brightly lit scenes look the best overall, but even the nighttime sequences have plenty of depth and detail. The color palette is a tad warm, which shows up in skin tones. The audio is upgraded over the Blu-ray from a 7.1 track to Dolby Atmos and I found the imaging to be the highlight of the track. Objects move throughout the room seamlessly which provides an expansive soundstage.
Video 9/10
Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
Deleted and Extended Scenes
Quarrelin’ Kringle
Santa’s Helpers: The Making of Violent Night
Deck the Halls with Brawls
Feature Commentary
UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy
Conclusion
If you already own the film on Blu-ray then you may want to wait for the price to drop before upgrading. While it’s a fun movie, I wouldn’t consider it a class (yet) and I’m sure you’ll be able to find it for a bargain six months from now. If you held off on the Blu-ray then be sure to pick up the UHD. The presentation is excellent and the film is fun, but very dark and violent at the same time. Recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Sounds like a hoot. Maybe I'll stick this in my wife's Xmas stocking this year! :-X ;D
-
Sounds like a hoot. Maybe I'll stick this in my wife's Xmas stocking this year! :-X ;D
Did you not get this on Blu-ray? :D
-
Did you not get this on Blu-ray? :D
No. Can't take credit for your 4K disc this time. ::)
-
Watched this last year streaming. I really liked it. Gonna be a yearly watch for me