AVS Discussions

Classifieds => Projectors => Topic started by: Myfunnybones on November 14, 2023, 06:34:14 PM

Title: Projector choice
Post by: Myfunnybones on November 14, 2023, 06:34:14 PM
Hello,

I am trying to decide which type of projector to purchase for my newly built home theater. Will a short throw be comparable to an overhead unit? Such as the AWOL 3500 Pro, and the JVC NZ7. I know that the black level on JVC’s are very good, but will the AWOL come close? Also, aside from the blacks, how would you compare the picture qualities of the two?

Thankyou..
Title: Re: Projector choice
Post by: Paul Heroy on November 14, 2023, 11:51:59 PM
DLP based projectors never come close to the JVC black levels. If that's a priority, forget them.

Never heard of the brand but based on this AVS Forum review (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/awol-vision-new-ust-projector-brand-launching-first-look-in-depth-review-and-more-ltv-3500-ltv-2500.3237538/) it does seem to be well executed for this type of projector, but even they noted the poor black levels.
Title: Re: Projector choice
Post by: bmoney on November 15, 2023, 08:06:49 AM
cant recommend JVC enough.  all levels too are just great! for all budgets
Title: Re: Projector choice
Post by: DLCPhoto on November 15, 2023, 08:42:04 AM
I tend to see a UST projector used in a family room type of environment, where there will often be lights on, reflective walls, etc. It basically provides a relatively easy way of getting a fairly large image in that situation, vs having a large TV, which is more limited in maximum size, more cumbersome to install, etc.

But if the goal is recreating the theater experience at home, with the emphasis on movie watching, in an at least a somewhat more dedicated environment, a traditional projector like the JVC, would be better suited to that task. And if the room dimensions allow, and if movies are important, I always encourage going with a 2.35:1 to 2.40:1 aspect ratio screen, since perhaps 70% of movies are in that aspect ratio.

I'm sure there will be exceptions, so these are not absolutes, but at least at this point in time, this is how I would approach that decision.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal