AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on August 21, 2023, 01:52:28 PM

Title: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on August 21, 2023, 01:52:28 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/yu1R7SO.jpg)

Studio: Warner
Release Date: August 29, 2023
Rating: PG-13
 Film:  4/5
 
 Plot
 Worlds collide in “The Flash” when Barry uses his superpowers to travel back in time in order to change the events of the past. But when his attempt to save his family inadvertently alters the future, Barry becomes trapped in a reality in which General Zod has returned, threatening annihilation, and there are no Super Heroes to turn to. That is, unless Barry can coax a very different Batman out of retirement and rescue an imprisoned Kryptonian... albeit not the one he’s looking for. Ultimately, to save the world that he is in and return to the future that he knows, Barry’s only hope is to race for his life. But will making the ultimate sacrifice be enough to reset the universe?
 
My Thoughts
Barry provided Spoiler look at The Flash (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3782.0) during its theatrical run, which I avoided until now since I watched the film last night. While this review will remain spoiler free, I concur with Barry’s thoughts almost word for word.
 
While not a perfect film, this is one of the better films from the DC Universe and I rank it up there with the first Wonder Woman as far as entertainment value goes. There’s an actual story that has some touching moments, plenty of laughter, and of course, a bit too much action—especially in the opening montage and the finale. There aren’t any new villains in the film, just some familiar faces from the past (and in some cases, the very distant past) and the film does a very good job of explaining the multiverse and why one shouldn’t go around trying to fix the past—it never ends well for everyone involved. While you may be able to fix one thing, you have no idea how this one little change effects the world as a whole.
 
Finally, I have to give kudos to Ezra Miller for his performance, which is excellent. I don’t want to give anything away, but he has to show a lot of range as an actor due to the nuances in the script and he doesn’t disappoint. He may be a whack-job in his real life, but I tip my hat to him for his portrayal of a complicated character.
 
The presentation is just what you’d expect from a tentpole film—it’s sound design is excellent and features plenty of frenetic action throughout the soundstage and the LFE is intense and deep. Sadly, the video presentation is displayed with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, which boggles my mind—this is a film that screams for a scope image. I wonder if this was done to be more friendly to Warner’s streaming platform Max?
 
Video 9.5/10
 Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)
 
 Special Features: 
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebWYacbdvc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebWYacbdvc)
 

 Conclusion
 At 2 hours and 24 minutes, the film is just a bit too long and could have been shortened a good twenty minutes by scrapping the opening sequence that involves other members of the Justice League and shortening the climatic battle by at least five minutes. These two issues aside, the film is quite good and I loved the emotional heft that the screenplay brings to the table. As someone who watched the first few seasons of The Flash TV show on CW, I was very familiar with the character and maybe that assisted my enjoyment of the film, but it’s certainly something I’ll watch again. Recommended for fans.            
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Paul Heroy on August 21, 2023, 02:12:57 PM
Thanks for the review David.

I enjoyed it a lot in the theater. I've seen some really blistering ratings/comments on IMDB that are really at odds with what I experienced. Especially hard to understand is a lot of ire about the Special FX / CGI being bad on a technical level. Are they done in a certain style? Sure - but that's aesthetics.

Agreed about Miller's portrayal of Barry Allen, I was very impressed with what he had to pull off and portray.
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on August 21, 2023, 02:56:06 PM
I really enjoyed this one 
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on August 21, 2023, 03:03:21 PM
Thanks for the review David.

I enjoyed it a lot in the theater. I've seen some really blistering ratings/comments on IMDB that are really at odds with what I experienced. Especially hard to understand is a lot of ire about the Special FX / CGI being bad on a technical level. Are they done in a certain style? Sure - but that's aesthetics.

Agreed about Miller's portrayal of Barry Allen, I was very impressed with what he had to pull off and portray.
I have issues with virtually every movie these days due to the SFX/CGI being employed, but I try and not let it distract me from the story. Some movies are harder than others (I'm talking to you, Fast: X!) My expectations were very low for this film and I came away quite impressed. 
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on August 21, 2023, 04:06:56 PM
I liked the movie and reviewed it for us
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3782.msg26550#msg26550


Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on August 21, 2023, 04:29:54 PM
I liked the movie and reviewed it for us
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3782.msg26550#msg26550
Barry,

I linked your review in the "My Thoughts" section of the review :D Click on the Underlined Section!

My Thoughts

Barry provided Spoiler look at The Flash (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3782.0) during its theatrical run, which I avoided until now since I watched the film last night. While this review will remain spoiler free, I concur with Barry’s thoughts almost word for word.
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on August 21, 2023, 10:59:26 PM
Barry,

I linked your review in the "My Thoughts" section of the review :D Click on the Underlined Section!

My Thoughts

Barry provided Spoiler look at The Flash (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3782.0) during its theatrical run, which I avoided until now since I watched the film last night. While this review will remain spoiler free, I concur with Barry’s thoughts almost word for word.
Oops! Sorry! Glad we see the movie in the same positive light.
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on August 22, 2023, 08:39:42 AM
Always like different twists on traveling back in time. 
Title: Re: The Flash (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on August 26, 2023, 03:24:24 PM
Greetings,

Nice work guys. I liked, not loved it. Not enough development of the secondary characters, the rehashed plot could have been better, and the reuse of a villain, that, given the plethora of DCU characters available for this purpose, made little sense. The CGI didn't bother me all that much and, I too enjoyed Miller, especially his handling of the dual past and present characters of Barry.


Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal