AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on June 23, 2023, 04:49:26 PM

Title: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 23, 2023, 04:49:26 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/FHc9MFZ.jpg)

Studio: Twentieth Century / Disney
Release Date: June 20, 2023
Rating: PG-13
Film:  4.5/5

Plot
Thirteen years after Avatar changed the landscape of movie making, innovative writer/director James Cameron kept fans waiting 13 years for the next film in the franchise. Fans, including myself, filled theaters helping the film gross over $2.3 billion worldwide as it currently sits at #3 on the Top Lifetime Grosses list behind the first film ($2.9 billion) and Avengers: Endgame ($2.8 billion). Granted, none of these figures are adjusted for inflation, but you can’t argue with Cameron’s success of filling the seats.

My Thoughts
The film begins fifteen years after the events depicted in the first film as we find Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) living as a Na’vi and has started a family with Neytiri (Zone Saldaña). When the humans return to Pandora with both revenge and profit on their minds, the Sully family is forced to go into hiding and seek refuge with the water clan Metkayina. Their way of life is much different than the Sully’s are used to, and they must learn how to swim, forage from the ocean, and bond with sea creatures because at some point, the humans are coming and all hell is going to break loose.

While many of the thematic elements are the same from the first film, I found this screenplay to have more emotional weight since the film focuses on the Sully family and how Jake is struggling to be a good father to his kids while at the same time fighting for their very survival. At three hours and twelve minutes, the film could have been edited down a good thirty minutes because there are a lot of scenes that look absolutely fabulous from a visual and technical point of view but do little to move the plot forward.

Disney/Fox has been stubborn with only sending out digital copies of their films over the past year or so, but I politely asked my contact at the studio if there were any way I could review the 3D version and he was kind enough to send along a copy. While I’ve seen the film in theaters and in 4K on the Kaleidescape, I really wanted to experience the film how Cameron intended and I have to say, the 3D experience is jaw-dropping.

I own nearly 100 films on the Blu-ray 3D format but the only film I’ve watched in 3D over the past few years is the original Avatar, which still looks amazing to this day. This sequel takes the visuals to the next level though and the depth and detail transports you to Pandora and drops you right in the middle of the world. I wasn’t sure how the underwater sequences would look and it turns out there was nothing to worry about—this is a reference 3D presentation from beginning to end and is the new King of the Hill in the mostly defunct 3D world of home video. One thing that really helps this film is it’s split over two discs for the 3D presentation and it has a lot of room to breath and isn’t bit-starved one bit.

The DTS-MA 7.1 presentation is nearly as impressive as the 3D visuals and is one of the best you’ll hear on a 4.7” platter. Dynamics are top-notch and the surround envelopment of the track will showcase every speaker in your room, especially the LFE channel. Initially I thought this was the same Atmos track found on the 4K K-scape download, but then realized that Neural:X was engaged on my processor. In all honesty, I really couldn’t tell that the overhead effects weren’t discrete. The sound designer on the film gets an A+ for their attention to detail and creating a realistic world to spend three-plus hours in.

3D Video 5/5 (AVC)
Audio 5/5 (DTS-MA 7.1)

Special Features:

Inside Pandora's Box (A series of featurettes on the challenges facing cast and crew as filmmakers devise new technologies to push the limits of cinema)

More from Pandora's Box (Additional featurettes that highlight special teams within the production)

Marketing Materials & Music Video (Marketing materials used to build audience awareness of the film)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOFdzFH6SU


Conclusion
This is the third time I’ve watched the film this year and I was surprised I wasn’t checking the clock given the close proximity of the three viewings. My only real gripe with the 3D version of the film is the stopping point between the two discs is rather abrupt and sudden, so I’m not sure how much attention went into this break point. Regardless, if you you’re a fan of 3D then this is a must-buy for your collection. I’ll probably end up buying the 4K release as well to have in my collection, but for all intent and purposes, this 3D version will be my “go to” viewing unless it’s a large party viewing since I only have 6 pairs of glasses.   


Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: Paul Heroy on June 23, 2023, 05:16:27 PM
The DTS-MA 7.1 presentation is nearly as impressive as the 3D visuals and is one of the best you’ll hear on a 3.5” platter. 
Nice review, David. I saw it up close in 3D in the theater and was blown away, and found it very engaging due to the visuals despite the 3+ hour length. Still not great in the story/character department, but better than the first.

I have to ask though, is there a special floppy disk version of this that you saw? :P
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 23, 2023, 06:35:43 PM
Nice review, David. I saw it up close in 3D in the theater and was blown away, and found it very engaging due to the visuals despite the 3+ hour length. Still not great in the story/character department, but better than the first.

I have to ask though, is there a special floppy disk version of this that you saw? :P
LOL...good point...I meant 4.7 inch platter :D :P
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: DLCPhoto on June 23, 2023, 09:12:15 PM
Great review Dave (as usual!).

I just finished watching it tonight, seeing it for the first time, with the 4k UHD Disc. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and was mesmerized by the color and detail on-screen.

I figured I'd end up going for the 3D version as well, and your review removed any doubt. Thanks Dave! :-\ A lot of money for one movie, but what the heck!

Edited To Add - I sure wish this was 2.40:1, though!! I may have to experiment going a little wider with my Envy the next time around.
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 23, 2023, 10:11:43 PM
Great review Dave (as usual!).

I just finished watching it tonight, seeing it for the first time, with the 4k UHD Disc. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and was mesmerized by the color and detail on-screen.

I figured I'd end up going for the 3D version as well, and your review removed any doubt. Thanks Dave! :-\ A lot of money for one movie, but what the heck!

Edited To Add - I sure wish this was 2.40:1, though!! I may have to experiment going a little wider with my Envy the next time around.
I was holding out hope for that on the 4K as well. Cameron did have a version of the movie cropped that way for theaters...maybe on the Super Duper Deluxe edition that includes 4K UHD, 3D, Blu-ray, DVD, and Betamax released right before the next movie :)
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on June 24, 2023, 07:34:37 AM
Wow a 4.5? I thought Thai movie was terrible lol. To each his own 
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on June 24, 2023, 11:26:26 AM
Wow a 4.5? I thought Thai movie was terrible lol. To each his own
I'd say you are in the minority - Avatar: The Way of Water - Rotten Tomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar_the_way_of_water)
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 24, 2023, 12:20:42 PM
Wow a 4.5? I thought Thai movie was terrible lol. To each his own
I've seen it three times and have yet to be bored. It could use a tad bit of editing (about 30 minutes or so), but it's extremely entertaining and the world building is outstanding. 
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on June 25, 2023, 11:08:07 AM
Greetings,

Told ya... 8)


Regards,
Title: Re: Avatar: The Way of the Water (3D Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 25, 2023, 11:44:10 AM
Greetings,

Told ya... 8)


Regards,
Yes you did :)

I just read that the 3D is already sold out and they are doing a second production run. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal