AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on May 29, 2023, 10:39:22 AM

Title: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 29, 2023, 10:39:22 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/bvYVUee.jpg)


Studio: Sony Pictures
Release Date: May 30, 2023
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  2/5
 
 Plot
 After a catastrophic crash on an unknown planet, pilot Mills (Adam Driver) quickly discovers he’s actually stranded on Earth…65 million years ago. Now, with only one chance at rescue, Mills and the only other survivor, Koa (Ariana Greenblatt), must make their way across an unknown terrain riddled with dangerous prehistoric creatures in an epic fight to survive.
 
My Thoughts
The concept for this film actually is quite good and had the potential to be much more than it was. The writes/directors were the guys who wrote A Quiet Place and while that film was outstanding, this second effort by the pair is a complete dud.
 
Where do I start? Well, lets go with the dialog, which is virtually non-existent. Mills is marooned with Koa, and they don’t speak the same language, so any interactions between the two are frustrating and at times, laughable. Second, the chances of a human surviving against apex predators is pretty slim, but the young Koa somehow survives on her own for a while with nary a scratch. Finally, the third act is predictable with so many “roll your eyes” moments that I feel like I need to take a trip to the eye doctor to ensure I didn’t harm my long-term vision health.
 
I had requested the UHD for review but alas, Sony only provided the Blu-ray. That being said, it’s a fine-looking presentation with plenty of detail, revealing shadows, and razor-sharp imagery. In fact, I bet the CG dinosaurs look more realistic in 1080p versus 4K anyway, so maybe the studio did me a favor?  Unfortunately, the audio is only in DTS-HD MA 5.1 versus the Atmos on the 4K disc, but that doesn’t really take away from the experience when upmixed to Neural:X in my processor. This is an action movie from beginning to end and the sound design and implementation is excellent.
 
Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
 
 Special Features:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXejJq5vr0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXejJq5vr0)
 

 Conclusion
 My daughter and her husband were visiting for the holiday weekend and we all sat down to watch this together and no one liked it very much. The premise had a lot of promise but the execution was lacking because the writers didn’t seem to expand upon their premise beyond the obvious. On the plus side, it did look and sound great on Blu-ray, so it may be worth a rental for that reason alone—just don’t think to much about the plot and you should be OK.   
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on May 29, 2023, 12:45:25 PM
Was pretty decent. I enjoyed it
Title: Re: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 29, 2023, 12:50:26 PM
Really? If I was the only one who didn't like it in our group that would be one thing...but 4 people panned it!
Title: Re: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on May 29, 2023, 01:38:42 PM
The review pretty much lines up with my impression of it from watching the trailer.  I think we'll be skipping this one.

Thanks for the confirmation, David.

Scott
Title: Re: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on May 29, 2023, 05:22:45 PM
I’ve seen a LOT worse. I went in checking my brain at the door. 
Title: Re: 65 (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 29, 2023, 06:53:18 PM
I’ve seen a LOT worse. I went in checking my brain at the door.
That would have been a great press statement on the cover art ;) ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal