AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on March 15, 2023, 07:01:48 PM

Title: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on March 15, 2023, 07:01:48 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/oaTMUli.jpg)

Studio: Lionsgate / A24
Release Date: March 14, 2023
 Rating: R
 Film:  2.5/5
 
 Plot
 From Darren Aronofsky comes The Whale, the story of a reclusive English teacher who attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. Starring Brendan Fraser and based on the acclaimed play by Samuel D. Hunter.
 
My Thoughts
From the outset, I had a very hard time getting through this film. The first time we’re introduced to the reclusive teacher, he’s on his couch masturbating to gay porn and call me a prude, but I just couldn’t get past that one scene the rest of the movie. Frasier’s character is depressing and while I’m happy that he won the Oscar for his portrayal, I can’t say it was an enjoyable way to spend nearly 2 hours of my life. By the end, I knew I was supposed to feel sorry for his, but he made poor choices in life and I pitied him more than anything. As Forrest Gump says, “Stupid is as stupid does.”  
 
Video 4/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
 
 Special Features:
·        People Are Amazing: Making The Whale
·        The Sounds of the Sea: Scoring The Whale
·        Digital Copy

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30r0CwtIKc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30r0CwtIKc)
 

 Conclusion
 I have a very hard time recommending this film outside of seeing Frasier’s performance. It was Oscar worthy, but very difficult to get through. The presentation is about what you’d expect from a drama but Tehbeware it’s not an uplifting film by any stretch. Caveat emptor.  
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: SRW1000 on March 15, 2023, 07:09:17 PM
Thanks for saving me the chore of watching this one.  It sounds like an unpleasant movie, with only Fraser's performance to recommend it.  That's not quite enough to cut it for me.

I hope the Oscar win opens up more doors for him, perhaps in more enjoyable fare.

Scott
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on March 15, 2023, 07:26:42 PM
Thanks for saving me the chore of watching this one.  It sounds like an unpleasant movie, with only Fraser's performance to recommend it.  That's not quite enough to cut it for me.

I hope the Oscar win opens up more doors for him, perhaps in more enjoyable fare.

Scott
Too depressing for me....I needed to watch an episode of "The Office" when it was over to cheer myself up and laugh. 
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on March 15, 2023, 08:51:31 PM
Thanks for saving me the chore of watching this one.  It sounds like an unpleasant movie, with only Fraser's performance to recommend it.  That's not quite enough to cut it for me.

I hope the Oscar win opens up more doors for him, perhaps in more enjoyable fare.

Scott
my thoughts exactly. Thanks for taking one for  the team, David.
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on March 16, 2023, 07:07:32 AM
Bullet dodged. Thanks to you :)
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: tripplej on March 16, 2023, 09:15:51 AM
I was curious about this one after he won but now, I will skip it. Thanks for the review and forewarning us.
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on March 16, 2023, 11:24:29 AM
Too depressing for me....I needed to watch an episode of "The Office" when it was over to cheer myself up and laugh.
This looked depressing. I'll watch The Limey again instead. 
Title: Re: The Whale (Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on March 26, 2023, 11:29:58 AM
Greetings,

You missed the point of the story. Yes, this isn't an uplifting film but, that's by design. It's a cautionary tale but, not about morbid obesity. The last thing that the character wanted was pity. He wanted to correct a wrong that negatively impacted the lives of his daughter and ex-wife. The title of the film had zero to do with his weight.

It's a shame that the opening scene spoiled the whole movie for you. Difficult subject matter to be certain but, a good film.


Regards,
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal