(https://i.imgur.com/onhVGy0.png)
Written and directed by B. J. Novak, best known as Ryan from The Office, this is a revenge story of a man whose girlfriend is murdered at the hands of a cruel and brutal robber. Armed only with a hatchet, he methodically stalks down her killer and all who stand in his way.
OK, I made that up.
This is about a dead (murdered?) girlfriend of sorts, and his investigation of what happened. I won't go into much more detail than that, since it's more enjoyable to watch the movie unfold and it's much more than just a plot summary. The movie is packed with references about, and discussion of current topics such as casual hookups to podcasts and other digital recordings, divisions and commonality, narcissism, the opioid crisis, and much more. That said, it's not scattered, nor does it dwell on any of the subjects for too long, weaving all of them into an intriguing mystery that slowly unfolds. It also has a surprising amount of heart to it, in what could have just been a cynical reflection of today's culture.
The script is sharp and dense, with lines that sometimes take a second to register. The acting feels natural for the most part, although there are a few sections that feel a bit over reliant on stereotypes. Not surprising since some of the story revolves around the city mouse vs. country mouse setting of the story. Novak's performance plays across a range of feelings, creating a believable character that shows a satisfying growth through the movie.
The picture is often dreary, but also has elements of beauty, reflecting both the setting of the story and the thematic elements of the plot. Sound is just a 5.1 DTS soundtrack, but works fine, with dialog that's easy to understand. The DTS-X upmixer of my HTP-1 did a fine job with pulling fireworks sound out of the surrounds and also placing them in the overhead channels. I've heard Atmos soundtracks that were less effective.
I pretty much went into this movie blind and was glad I did. Not everyone will like it, but my wife and I both enjoyed it a lot. It's one of those movies that will reward repeat viewings just due to how smart and well-written the script is. It leaves the audience with lots to think about if they want to, with various characters espousing various views, but it never crosses the line of telling the audiences what to think. Rather it gives the viewer plenty to contemplate and chew on.
I'll be adding this one to our library, but it's hard to recommend as a blind buy. I can see others liking it as much as we did but could also see it just not being a good fit for others. Perhaps the reference to Richard Linklater in the movie is a guide. If you've enjoyed any of his works, you might like this one as well, and I would recommend renting it.
Scott