AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => TV series => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 22, 2022, 07:42:02 PM

Title: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 22, 2022, 07:42:02 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/4l6M5v2.jpg)

Studio: Warner / HBO
Release Date: November 22, 2022
 Rating: R
 Film:  4/5
 
 Plot
 Peacemaker explores the continuing story of the character that series star John Cena reprises in the aftermath of executive producer, writer and director James Gunn's 2021 DC film The Suicide Squad - a compellingly vainglorious man who believes in peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it! Delving into current world issues through the lens of Super Hero/Super-Villain/world's biggest douchebag, the series extends the world created for The Suicide Squad while bringing to life the soul and wit of Peacemaker and the team. 
 
My Thoughts
James Gunn’s career was on life support in 2018 when he got caught up in the #MeToo movement due to some offensive Tweets from earlier in his career around child pornography and rape. Unlike many other public figures, Gunn somehow escaped the ad PR and was hired to write and direct the Suicide Squad movie, was signed on to write/direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and is now the head of the DC Universe at the new reorganized Warner Brothers. Talk about the Phoenix rising from the dead!
 
Gunn wrote all eight episodes of Peacemaker and directed five, including the first, and I ended up enjoying the first season a lot more than I thought I would. Frankly, I’ve become a bit bored with the whole comic book genre but somehow this show sucked me in. While I’m not a huge Cena fan, he’s perfect for this role and he actually has the acting chops to carry the series. This is mostly due to phenomenal writing from Gunn and the casting choices for the supporting players is spot on.
 
This show is not meant for kids, similar to Deadpool, the humor is pretty low-brow and at time crude. Furthermore, Peacemaker’s father, portrayed by Robert Patrick, is about as unlikeable as they come an is an unapologetic racist and abuses his son with both his words and actions at every opportunity. That being said, when the two share the screen together, you can expect plenty of verbal fireworks that will make you both cringe and laugh at the same time. Similar to The Boys, this show pushes the boundaries to the edge (and sometimes moves them a bit wider).
 
While the show is very entertaining, the A/V quality is reference from beginning to end. It helps that the show was shot in 4K with Arri Alexa Mini cameras, which begs the question, why no 4K release? Details are off the charts and the color palette ranges from very realistic and lifelike to otherworldly when the primary colors leap off the screen. Not to be outdone is the DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack, which features plenty of LFE—which I love—and plenty of action in all of the other speakers as well.
 
Video 5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
 
 Special Features:
 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXq62VCaCM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXq62VCaCM)

 Conclusion
 The show was greenlit for a second season, so it must have had a lot of viewers on HBO Max and I’m sure DC fans will flock to pick up the Blu-ray. I was on the fence about requesting this one wondering if I wanted to invest eight hours to sit through the eight first season episodes, but I’m glad I did. In fact, I’m looking forward to season 2 being released about this time next year. Recommended for comic book fans or for those who aren’t offended by low-brow humor.  
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: bmoney on November 22, 2022, 08:35:28 PM
Nice write up. I just can’t get I to shows anymore tho.
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 22, 2022, 09:26:13 PM
Nice write up. I just can’t get I to shows anymore tho.
Thanks. Did you mean "into" shows anymore? Is it a time issue?
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: Paul Heroy on November 22, 2022, 11:35:48 PM
The Suicide Squad and this were shows that I shouldn't like. I really shouldn't. But damn I loved them. It must be the irrelevant humor. ;D 
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 23, 2022, 01:45:20 AM
Paul, I think this would qualify as a "guilty pleasure." 
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2022, 07:01:44 AM
Thanks. Did you mean "into" shows anymore? Is it a time issue?
Damn phone and weird auto correct
yes into shows

its time commitment and the feeling I HAVE to finish them to get the payoff. So I feel like a slave to the show. Haha

been this way ever since I binge watched all of breaking bad. But that was soooooo worth it and I’d do it again :) 


 
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 23, 2022, 12:50:28 PM
Damn phone and weird auto correct
yes into shows

its time commitment and the feeling I HAVE to finish them to get the payoff. So I feel like a slave to the show. Haha

been this way ever since I binge watched all of breaking bad. But that was soooooo worth it and I’d do it again :)


 
I  know what you mean. It definitely is a commitment. 
Title: Re: Peacemaker (Season One) Blu-ray review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 23, 2022, 01:09:12 PM
I  know what you mean. It definitely is a commitment.
I don't have the time either. Rome was the last series I watched - only 2 seasons. I have Mr. Robot but stalled part way into season 1. As it is, I have probably 15+ movies I haven't had time or an occasion to watch yet. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal