AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 10, 2022, 01:38:38 PM

Title: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 10, 2022, 01:38:38 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/RRUXzU2.jpg)

Studio: LionsGate
Release Date: November 9, 2022
 Rating: PG
 Film:  2.5/5
 
 Plot
 If you’re searching for an irresistibly fun cult classic with an out-of-this-world cast, you’ve found it! Now available for the first time on Blu-ray™, Earth Girls Are Easy follows the misadventures of three furry aliens — played by Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans — whose spaceship crash-lands into a pool owned by Valerie, a valley-girl manicurist (Oscar® winner* Geena Davis). Befriended by Valerie and given human makeovers, the extraterrestrial trio embarks on a wild weekend filled with partying, police pursuits, and, yes, interplanetary love.
 
My Thoughts
Somehow, I had never seen this film after all of these years and about 15 minutes into it, I kind of figured out why. First, it’s about as campy as you can get. It’s VERY 1980s, and not necessarily in a good way. That being said, when you look at the cast, you think—“It has to get better, right?” Sure enough, it does. As long as you’re willing to roll with the punches and enjoy it for what the harmless fun that it intends to be, then you can have a good time with it. Probably the biggest shocker to me is that the film is actually a musical, which is something I wasn’t expecting, but it does make sense since the movie is loosely based on Julie Brown’s 1984 album, Goddess In Progress (which I was familiar with since I recognized a couple of the tunes sung in the film).
 
Video 3.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)
 
 Special Features:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5qKpnWLOI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5qKpnWLOI)

 Conclusion
 While I didn’t love this one, I have to admit that my wife and I did laugh on many occasions. We contemplated turning it off at one point in the beginning but in the end, we were glad we stuck with it. I will say one thing, Geena Davis had an A+ body in the 1980s—she’s absolutely gorgeous and she shows off a lot of skin in this film. The production has some merits if you just ignore the weaker aspects. Recommended for fans.    
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Title: Re: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: tripplej on November 10, 2022, 01:49:48 PM
Thanks for the review. I don't think I ever saw this movie in the past.. Will have to check it out once it is available for streaming..
Title: Re: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: AVSCraig on November 10, 2022, 02:15:03 PM
I don't recall ever seeing this either. Maybe I'm better off that way! ::)
Title: Re: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: Paul Heroy on November 10, 2022, 05:54:04 PM
I actually did see this back in the day, and I remember it pretty much like you said David - cheesy, campy fun. But one time was pretty much enough on this one.
Title: Re: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: David Vaughn on November 10, 2022, 07:29:59 PM
I actually did see this back in the day, and I remember it pretty much like you said David - cheesy, campy fun. But one time was pretty much enough on this one.
Although the pause button is a nice plus for the Geena Davis scenes....just sayin'!
Title: Re: Earth Girls are Easy (Blu-ray ) review
Post by: bmoney on November 11, 2022, 06:51:24 AM
Omg I forgot all about this movie lol. Yes VERY 80’s
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal