AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => 4K UHD Blu-rays => Topic started by: Barry on November 09, 2022, 02:37:16 PM
-
I feel that there is no need to review this movie, it is classic. I did see it last night in 4K. The picture is so good that I felt I was in a movie theatre! It is the contrast that stands out, the whites are whiter and the blacks are blacker and you can see more detail.
BUT: starting at 25 minutes into the movie I began to see more grain that usual. It often happens in darker scenes with facial close-ups. It was a bit distracting. But this is also an old movie and it does show.
The audio is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, but not anything special.
One note: I also saw another great movie from this era, “The Best Years of Our Lives.” In both movies people smoked and drank all the time.
-
I feel that there is no need to review this movie, it is classic. I did see it last night in 4K. The picture is so good that I felt I was in a movie theatre! It is the contrast that stands out, the whites are whiter and the blacks are blacker and you can see more detail.
BUT: starting at 25 minutes into the movie I began to see more grain that usual. It often happens in darker scenes with facial close-ups. It was a bit distracting. But this is also an old movie and it does show.
The audio is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, but not anything special.
One note: I also saw another great movie from this era, “The Best Years of Our Lives.” In both movies people smoked and drank all the time.
My review will be posted at some point his week. As for the grain, I'd rather see it than it be scrubbed out with DNR, which ruins the look of films.
-
I'm looking forward to watching my copy soon - which just came. I've been collecting older classics lately. Just got " Gilda ". Also, " The Jazz Singer " ( 1927 ), " The King Of Jazz " ( a color movie from 1930! ), " To Be Or Not To Be " ( 1942 ), " 42nd Street " ( 1933 ), " Footlight Parade " ( 1933 ), " Sergeant York " ( 1941 ) and " Gold Diggers of 1933 " ( great movie ). Think I'll add " Sullivan's Travels " to my classic collection next.
-
Barry, I did watch "The Best Years of My Lives" over Christmas last year based on your reccomendation...it was very good.
-
My review will be posted at some point his week. As for the grain, I'd rather see it than it be scrubbed out with DNR, which ruins the look of films.
100%