AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 09, 2022, 02:16:56 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/6oUJM8L.jpg)
Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: November 8, 2022
Rating: PG
Film: 5/5
Plot
Taking place in Indiana in the 1940's, the story centers on Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) and his one wish for Christmas—a genuine Red Ryder 200-Shot Carbine Action Air Rifle. Unfortunately, whenever he expresses this wish, he's greeted with, "You'll shoot your eye out!" Will Ralphie get his wish? If so, is his vision safe?
My Thoughts
Originally released by MGM, Warner holds the distribution rights to the film and has released it on home video countless times since the days of DVD. I’ve owned many versions of the discs over the years and am happy to finally see it in 4K. The story itself is classic and we tend to watch it every holiday season.
Billingsley shines as the young star of the show, but it’s the memorable one-liners that make this such a classic. The parents are hilarious, and the antics of the kids harken back to more innocent days of harmless fun.
The A/V quality is quite good and is probably the best the film can look given its roots. The print is clean and has plenty of detail that the 35mm footage can offer. I believe the Blu-ray release was a VC-1 encode, but I’m not 100% positive, but this 4K transfer definitely takes it up a notch or two. The audio track is a DTS-HD MA 1.0 track which isn’t anything to write home about.
Video 8.5/10
Audio 7/10 (DTS-HD MA 1.0)
Special Features:
- Legacy Bonus features
- UHD Blu-ray + Blu-ray
- Movies Anywhere Digital Copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptbPSR9pAB8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptbPSR9pAB8)
Conclusion
While not a perfect movie, it is readily apparent why many consider this a classic. Between the gun, the leg lamp, the snowsuit paralysis, and the triple-dog-dare, there are enough laughs in this one to revisit every year. This is by far the film has ever looked or sounded in your home. Highly recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Such a classic. I want to watch it every year, or just put on TNT in the background when they loop it all day. Wife isn't on board though lol, once was enough for her.
Hard to spring for the 4K though given how ubiquitous it is at the only time I need it though.
-
Oh God no - I had a step daughter once that had this on a continuos loop for what seemed like years! I'll watch Die Hard for Xmas instead.
-
cant wait to watch my copy...and NOT for 24 hours straight haha
-
Thanks for the review. I love this movie. Have seen it many times.
I have my reservations thou on the upcoming sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZILRPjsaew
-
Thanks for the review. I love this movie. Have seen it many times.
I have my reservations thou on the upcoming sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZILRPjsaew
Me too.